Reports: GM, Chrysler hold merger talks - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Reports: GM, Chrysler hold merger talks
Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:47 AM
Reports: GM, Chrysler hold merger talks
N.Y. Times reports preliminary talks; Wall Street Journal says talks on hold

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC have held preliminary talks about a merger or an acquisition of Chrysler by GM, according to published reports late Friday.

The Wall Street Journal, citing people it described as familiar with the discussions, said Cerberus Capital Management, the private equity firm that owns 80.1 percent of Chrysler and 51 percent of GMAC Financial Services, proposed trading Chrysler's automotive operations to GM. The Journal said Cerberus would receive GM's remaining 49 percent stake in GMAC.

The New York Times, also citing people familiar with the talks, said the automakers were discussing a merger. The Times did not mention GMAC, a traditional auto lender hit hard by the housing market downturn.

The talks have stalled because of the recent turmoil in the financial markets, according to the Journal. Its sources said negotiations could resume if markets stabilize because both GM and Cerberus want to quickly divest the assets under discussion.

The negotiations between 100-year-old GM and 83-year-old Chrysler began more than a month ago, according to the Times. Its sources said the chances of a merger were "50-50" as of Friday and likely would take weeks to complete.

Both newspapers posted their stories on their Web sites late Friday.

"Without referencing this specific rumor, as we've often said, GM officials routinely discuss issues of mutual interest with other automakers," GM spokesman Tony Cervone said.

Chrysler spokeswoman Shawn Morgan declined comment.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: Reports: GM, Chrysler hold merger talks
Saturday, October 11, 2008 1:05 AM
Something like this can only play into GM hands in a good way.

1. Ditch GMAC with the recession on hand.
2. Take Chrysler, and along with it its technology, and natural competitor in its car segments.
3. Nissan buying Dodge trucks

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Saturday, October 11, 2008 1:11 AM
I'd much prefer Chrysler to be bought by GM than by Renault, who's also circling the pentastar. However, I'm just wondering if GM will let the Dodge or Chrysler brands live. They'll want to keep Jeep for sure, but the other two are highly questionable. GM's already talking about cutting one of their own companies like Buick or maybe even Pontiac, yet they'd buy Dodge and Chrysler? Sounds fishy.

One thing is for sure though, GM quality would definitely help Chrysler.

Also, I seriously think Ford, GM and Chrysler need to sit down and have very serious talks about sharing parts and technology. There's a long hard winter coming for carmakers throughout the next couple of years and combining ressources could do a lot of good.
Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:44 AM
If they merge or Chrysler is bought by GM, two brands will be going the way of the Dodo. Hummer and Chrysler. Dodge might be around for a few years but eventually it will probably be done away with as well.

Everybody probably hopes Cerberus remembers Renault's last ventue in an american automotive brand, AMC, and that disaster.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:34 PM
Or Cerberus could be looking at the success it's has had in turning around Nissan. Guess you forgot about that.

I think GM doesn't needs the train wreck that is Chrysler. They make pretty cars that are total garbage....basically Chrysler makes disposable cars. Only meant to shine through 3 year leases. Gm doesn't need anything from them, they already knew how to build sh*tty cars. GM is past that and on their way to building world beating cars. Why would they want Chryslers technology on how to build good looking cars that take a dump on you in 3 years???

This is the worst possible idea for GM. If anything allowing Chrysler to go belly up only helps them. If Renault buys Chrysler they could completely turn it around, make the cars reliable, solid, improve build quality and actually then hurt GM. If anything I think GM should buy them and cancel all divisions except Jeep, that way they can ensure nobody gets Chrysler and makes it a threat to GM.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:45 PM
GM could totally ruin Jeep. They could turn it into another retarded hummer derivative..

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] coach built xj  ( o   \[][][][][][][]/  o ) hid wj
Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:47 PM
That's true. A rebadged Yukon/Tahoe as the new Wrangler doesn't sound to great to me either.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:05 PM
urban wrote:GM could totally ruin Jeep. They could turn it into another retarded hummer derivative..

Considering that Hummer formed Jeep??? (Hummer being the original version and Jeep forming later)

Hummer and Jeep Were both part of the same company, Hummer was the Military Version, and Jeep was the private version. Over the years, the company was split up. They were part of AMC at one time, and when it folded, Jeep went to Chrysler and American General (the brand that makes Hummer) went to GM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:06 PM

Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:15 PM
This would be the single worst thing GM could ever do, they dont need to buy anyone, they are too huge to start with, they need to streamline their entire operation

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:47 PM
JBO Chat User: SpeedlineZ wrote:
urban wrote:GM could totally ruin Jeep. They could turn it into another retarded hummer derivative..

Considering that Hummer formed Jeep??? (Hummer being the original version and Jeep forming later)

Hummer and Jeep Were both part of the same company, Hummer was the Military Version, and Jeep was the private version. Over the years, the company was split up. They were part of AMC at one time, and when it folded, Jeep went to Chrysler and American General (the brand that makes Hummer) went to GM.

Considering what? Jeep goes all the way back to Willys and Ford (based on the Bantam design).
The only thing Jeep shares with hummer, currently, is the seven slot grille, and the hummer grilles break down faster.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:54 PM
JBO Chat User: SpeedlineZ wrote:

"Jeep" came first, except it wasn't called Jeep at the time. It was just a generic name for a 4x4 military utility vehicle made by Ford, American Bantam and Willys-Overland in WW2. Willys won the right to the name Jeep in 1941 and made civilian versions of their military vehicle. Willys was sold to Kaiser in 1953, became Kaiser-Jeep in 1963 and then was sold to AMC in 1970.

American General, the company that makes the Humvee, started out as a division of Studebaker (General Products Division) and was basically a general military contractor, then was bought by Kaiser in 1964. AMC renamed the company AM General when it bought Kaiser-Jeep. AM General produced buses, large trucks, and Jeeps for industrial, military, and government use and then designed the HMMWV (Humvee) in the late 70's. However, the Humvee only started production in 1984 AFTER it was sold by AMC to the LTV corportation.

Anyway, Hummer was founded by AM General in 1992 and sold, as a brand name. to General Motors in 1998 Meaning that GM is responsible for the marketing and distribution of all Hummers produced by AM General without owning AM/G.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:37 PM
Don't mind Urban...

He has a sore spot for Hummers... Always has...

Not really sure why, Its just a car...

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Saturday, October 11, 2008 10:50 PM
wouldnt be to bad of a move

although i can here it now , HEY your CAMARO have a HEMI , LMAO

Saturday, October 11, 2008 11:14 PM
Bullhell, more like "Hey, that Challenger got an LSX in it?"

The new hemi = well barely even a true hemispherical combustion chamber, so barely a hemi.

LSeX FTFW!

Sunday, October 12, 2008 12:31 AM
ExESIVEFIRE wrote:Don't mind Urban...

I simply hate commercial hummers with a passion. They're a bastardized version of the real thing; they're utterly useless for city and off-road use. They have limited cargo space, poor gas mileage, suspension that freezes, they're hard to park, they're too expensive to pound off-road, and they don't stand a chance against Jeeps on the trails. Bottom line: they can't live up to the reputation of their military counterpart; they're a fraud made for fraudulent people. I'm afraid GM will ruin Jeep's reputation in a similar fashion (rebrand their hummers to cash in on the Jeep brand).

Sunday, October 12, 2008 6:48 AM
GM, like any company interested in Chrysler, only wants Jeep and all the Chrysler dealerships. However, I'm not sure that this would go through. Simply put, GM is in no position to start buying companies at the moment.

I would bet more in Renault-Nissan or Chery or Tata being the buyer. Chery would probably be the best thing for Chrysler. They have tons of money and desperately need an "in" into the American market. They'd be fools not to gobble them up.
Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:59 AM
Personally the only company i'd like to see buy them is Renault. They respect a companies heritage. The helped rebuild Nissan without making them into Renault part 2. GM would just rebadge everything, Chery would further kill the reliability and quality, Tata is interesting...but they're track record is to new to know if they are up to snuff.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 3:37 PM
If this rumor has an ounce of truth, I side with this comment.

Jookycola wrote:Personally the only company i'd like to see buy them is Renault. They respect a companies heritage. The helped rebuild Nissan without making them into Renault part 2. GM would just rebadge everything, Chery would further kill the reliability and quality, Tata is interesting...but they're track record is to new to know if they are up to snuff.

If anything GM needs to loose the fat with thier rebadged models.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, October 12, 2008 8:26 PM
urban wrote:
ExESIVEFIRE wrote:Don't mind Urban...

I simply hate commercial hummers with a passion. They're a bastardized version of the real thing; they're utterly useless for city and off-road use. They have limited cargo space, poor gas mileage, suspension that freezes, they're hard to park, they're too expensive to pound off-road, and they don't stand a chance against Jeeps on the trails. Bottom line: they can't live up to the reputation of their military counterpart; they're a fraud made for fraudulent people. I'm afraid GM will ruin Jeep's reputation in a similar fashion (rebrand their hummers to cash in on the Jeep brand).

They made a crap tom of money doing it though...

and well, I like mine

IMO its not different than 90% of the Jeeps sold now...

Seriously, the compass and the liberty?

Face it, everything is being washed out from what it once was.... GM was just lucky enough to have rappers and football players make them famous...

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Sunday, October 12, 2008 10:16 PM
How about a Cobalt SRT-4 ... that would be interesting to see DSM 4 cyls in GM products, or Ecos in Dodges

Monday, October 13, 2008 7:19 AM
JBO Chat User: SpeedlineZ wrote:How about a Cobalt SRT-4 ... that would be interesting to see DSM 4 cyls in GM products, or Ecos in Dodges

DSM crank walking 4-cyl motors? I think GM had enough trouble with their own 2.4 LD9 from our Z24's...they don't need any help making more garbage motors.

Monday, October 13, 2008 8:51 AM
JBO Chat User: SpeedlineZ wrote:How about a Cobalt SRT-4 ... that would be interesting to see DSM 4 cyls in GM products, or Ecos in Dodges

Chrysler would be WAY better off getting the Eco, then any GM product getting their 4cyl motors.

That, and DSM (Diamond-Star Motors) has been dead now for years.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Friday, October 17, 2008 11:56 PM
I've read more about this merger and it's looking more and more dire. Nissan-Renault wants Jeep. GM wants some production plants and the Minivan models. Viper is going to be sold off to an indie car company.

You'll all notice that this leaves no one wanting Dodge or Chrysler except maybe Chery and Tata.

I seriously think now that Cerberus is going to tear Chrysler apart and sell it piece by piece like a giant garage sale.

However, this all hinges on Daimler selling the rest of it's stock to Cerberus. They still have enough to keep any mergers or dissolutions from happening.

This sucks. Five years ago I wouldn't have cared that Chrysler was dying, but now they build ONE car that I would genuinely like to buy (The Challenger naturally) and it looks as if I won't even be able to have time to save up the money to buy it before the whole ships keels over in the storm.
Saturday, October 18, 2008 2:35 AM
Sorry but good ridance.

This should be a serious wake up call to all automakers, most especially domestics. No matter how beautiful you design it, no matter how well you market it, if it's unreliable garbage nobody will want you.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 9:39 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search