Corvette ZO6 wins in MPG Marathon - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Corvette ZO6 wins in MPG Marathon
Friday, October 10, 2008 12:49 PM

From GM...

CORVETTE WINS MPG MARATHON

-Iconic supercar wins eco-driving challenge
-61.26 per cent improvement over combined mpg figure
-Responsible driving brings huge cost benefits

An educated approach to driving can bring huge benefits to owners of all types of car, proving that you don’t necessarily need a fuel-sipping supermini to cut your motoring costs.

And to illustrate the point, the legendary Corvette was crowned the overall winner in the annual Fleetworld/ALD Automotive MPG Marathon, recording a record 61.26 per cent improvement over the official combined figure in the two-day, 411-mile economy driving event.

Driven by Press Association journalist Richard Hammond, the Corvette Z06 achieved a combined MPG figure of 30.96mpg over the challenging route, proving that even a 198mph supercar can achieve fuel economy similar to that of a modern family hatchback if driven with a sensible approach to road and traffic conditions.

MPG Marathon organiser Ross Durkin said: “Driving economically is possible in whatever car you own – all it takes is consideration of prevailing road conditions and an educated approach to how you drive your car. The Corvette’s success proves that any driver can improve their fuel economy if they think in advance and anticipate road conditions.”

Using Total Excellium high octane petrol at a cost of 109.9 pence per litre, the Corvette used £66.41 worth of fuel over the route, a saving of £40.54 compared to if it had achieved its official combined figure of 19.2mpg.

The Corvette Z06 '505 hp' is available in the UK now, priced from £54,995

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Corvette ZO6 wins in MPG Marathon
Friday, October 10, 2008 12:54 PM
helps the Z06 weighs less than most cars out there

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:47 PM
This will be good to tell the gf in a few years.

Hunny im not getting it for the 500 hp. Im getting it for the 30 mpg!!!

Friday, October 10, 2008 2:33 PM
Proof that any car can do better if the manf chooses to do so

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:32 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Proof that any car can do better if the manf chooses to do so

proof that any car can do better if the driver is not acting like an irresponsible @!#$ tard

[read: driver is not having fun]

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:52 PM
be interesting to know how he did it. 10MPH? i've rode the slow lane in my v6 tacoma with the cruise control set to 55MPH and the best i could squeak out was 19MPG

GO PATS!!!
Friday, October 10, 2008 6:27 PM
I'm not surprised that this is possible. The car is very light and the engine is very torquey at low RPM. A high torque engine, driven gingerly, will give you amazing fuel economy compared to a smaller, higher revving engine. That's why I've always suspected that larger engines with an overhead valve configuration (and a low pressure Turbo) might be a great idea for economy cars as opposed to the high output DOHC engines that need to be revved too hard to get any pulling power out of them.
Friday, October 10, 2008 8:24 PM
The Redneck wrote:be interesting to know how he did it. 10MPH? i've rode the slow lane in my v6 tacoma with the cruise control set to 55MPH and the best i could squeak out was 19MPG

Well considering a tacoma is a truck and it has more resistance to wind and all that, its no surprise that the vette gets better mileage than a tacoma. just cause its a V6 doesnt mean it will get better mileage, Gotta figure in for the aerodynamics and all other design factors that they put into the vette. Heck your tacoma does better than my explorer though lol
Friday, October 10, 2008 11:32 PM
Didn't Matt from garage419 prove this as well? He raced a Prius in a MPG race and while he lost, did pretty damn good.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, October 10, 2008 11:40 PM
i remember seeing that one. I think he got like 28 mpg or so.
Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:16 AM
The reason he got what he got... .

1.Skip shift.
2.TALL 6th gear. With it you can be at 80mph and be under 2K RPM.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Monday, October 13, 2008 9:00 PM
Gearing was probably the biggest factor.

Richard Hammond? Like, Top Gear Richard Hammond?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, October 13, 2008 9:32 PM
JerseyJayLN2 (Scarab) wrote:Richard Hammond? Like, Top Gear Richard Hammond?

Thats what I was wondering. I can't see Hamster going slow...

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Tuesday, October 14, 2008 2:29 AM
Richard Hammond

Not this Richard Hammond!

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:23 AM
what other cars were in that event ?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search