Minus 1 Tire Sizing? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Minus 1 Tire Sizing?
Thursday, October 09, 2008 6:24 PM
If a car came with standard 18" rims, like the new Challenger, would it be possible to bolt on some 16 or 17 inch wheels without screwing anything up? Provided that the smaller wheels cleared the brakes of course.

The reason I ask is that I thought it'd be cool to replicate the look of an old 1970 T/A Challenger with one of the 2009's. Mopar already sell the six pack hood, tape stripe, and go wing, all I'd need is some side pipes and retro looking wheels. Then maybe raising the rear suspension slightly to give it that "jacked up" look from 70's cars. The 2009 R/T is like 3 inches off the ground and all the tape stripes and hood scoops in the world won't help the car time travel to 1977 if it doesn't sit right.

I was thinking that these rims would look appropriately period while still seeming somewhat modern:

Yeah yeah yeah, I know that some y'all like the 22" rims, slammed in the weeds, lower-than-low look, but I'm too old and redneck for that. Indulge me dammit.

Re: Minus 1 Tire Sizing?
Thursday, October 09, 2008 6:32 PM
You should be ok going from an 18 to say a 17 or from a 17 to a 16. When you drop the rim size just up the side wall size on your tires. You'll keep the overall circumfrance of your wheel and it shouldn't effect any acceleration or top speed anything like that. As long as you don't go with a lot smaller rim and a lot bigger tire you shouldn't have any handeling/cornering issues.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:29 PM
it all depends on the brakes

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084827
Friday, October 10, 2008 3:17 AM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:You should be ok going from an 18 to say a 17 or from a 17 to a 16. When you drop the rim size just up the side wall size on your tires. You'll keep the overall circumfrance of your wheel and it shouldn't effect any acceleration or top speed anything like that. As long as you don't go with a lot smaller rim and a lot bigger tire you shouldn't have any handeling/cornering issues.

true but like said above it depends on the brakes.

first off you have to make sure the new rim clears the brakes. if so then you can do what rabbit said and adjust the tire size to keep the same overall diameter.

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:55 AM
Knoxfire wrote:Provided that the smaller wheels cleared the brakes of course.

This is why I did not touch the brake issue.

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:57 AM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:
Knoxfire wrote:Provided that the smaller wheels cleared the brakes of course.

This is why I did not touch the brake issue.

reading > me

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:58 AM
Its ok its usually me who gets owned on the reading comprehension.

Friday, October 10, 2008 7:36 AM
There are decent performance gains to be had by going with smaller, lighter wheels. 16" will give more sidewall and "bite" off the line, while maintaining a decent aspect ratio compared to the original equipment. As long as you wrap it in a good tire and properly inflate it, lateral handling will not be greatly compromised.

If I could go down to a 16" from the standard 18" on my solstice GXP, I would in a heartbeat. The weight savings and additional forward grip would drop a tenth off of the 1/4 mile easily.

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:53 PM
UNIVERSAL RULE FOR UPIING TIRE SIZES IS USE THE NUMBER ON THE SIDEWALL AND ADD TEN TO THE FIRST NUMBER MINUS TEN FROM THER SECOND AND PLUS 1 ON THRE RIOM SIZE.FOR DOWNSIZING DO THE OPPOSITE MINUS 10 PLUS TEN MINUS 1

Friday, October 10, 2008 8:10 PM
if the wheels are the same size as the 300, Magnum and Charger then yes u can go 17. The tire size is 215/65/17. Thats what my winters are on my 300, and theyre the same diameter as stock

"Louis, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child,
that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue
with a pervert" -- Peter Griffin
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search