GM to shut Ohio SUV plant - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM to shut Ohio SUV plant
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 5:05 PM
General Motors is ending production of its slow-selling mid-sized SUVs on Dec. 23, two years earlier than announced in June. GM is pulling ahead the closure of its Moraine, Ohio, assembly plant because of market conditions, said GM spokesman Chris Lee. Moraine builds the Chevrolet TrailBlazer and TrailBlazer SS, GMC Envoy and Envoy Denali and Saab 9-7X.
In June, GM said it would close Moraine in 2010 or sooner, Lee said. The closing will idle about 1,100 hourly workers represented by the IUE-CWA electrical workers union. An additional 100 salaried employees work there, Lee said.Lee said negotiations are under way with the union to determine whether workers would be offered buyouts and retirement incentives that were offered to employees in June.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: GM to shut Ohio SUV plant
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 6:41 PM
yup I live by it

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 1:03 PM
Something they should have done in 2006. I don't understand why they have to shut down plants though? Why not re-tool for another vehicle and keep jobs?

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:11 PM
Retooling sometimes isn't worth the cost

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:34 PM
yea they would rather send it to mexico

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:47 PM
It can cost well into the millions to retool a plant. Many times its cheaper to just idle the plant or build a new one some place else.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:15 PM
F*(&( I lived near it too. Well my mom lives near it as well so does most of my family live in the area. Thats great I mean i knew they were going to close it before the summer I knew it but it is a lot of jobs in my town gone.

Well this sucks not much I can do though I do wonder what that massive plant may turn into. Blank space, retooled, possibly shops?

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search