Anybody want a Trans Am? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anybody want a Trans Am?
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:10 PM
I swear to god this damn thing has been nothing but trouble since I've owned it. I just had the engine completely redone AND THE GOD DAMN F'ING THING IS KNOCKING AGAIN!!!!!

It started out as a knock at 1700 RPM when it's cold. It would go away the warmer it got. Now I'm noticing it when it's warm and when it's at idle. If I had to guess I'd say it's top end but I'm not 100%. The @!#$ty thing is I put upgraded rods and LS6 lifters and had to get an LS6 oil pump put in. Watch me have a valve problem now because everything else is upgraded. I can't win

Re: Anybody want a Trans Am?
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:13 PM
I want.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:15 PM
13k it's yours

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:26 PM
jesus 13k for a car that knocks lol

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:33 PM
Well nows the perfect reason to stuff the LS7 in there

In all seriousness whoever had that car before you must have beat the living crap out of it, the LSx historically is very reliable

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:39 PM
wow that sucks dude

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 6:25 PM
Yeah, it sucks real hard.

If I had the money I'd at least put an LS2 in it. I can't believe how much grief this car has given me. I'll take it back down to the shop and see what the guy can figure out. I'm hoping it's something like a bad lifter. Only problem is I have no money to put towards fixing this problem. So more than likely the car will just sit until next spring when hopefully I have some money saved up. I hate cars. I'm getting a horse.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 7:42 PM
if you had the top end just all redone, or most of it, chances are things have worked themselves loose and just need a re-tightening. Happened to my buddies 383 stroker S10. Put the motor in, drove it around for a few months, head gasket went, fixxed it, few days later a knock started and it just ended up he need to re-tighten his lifters

good luck man

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 7:42 PM
Lmao haha thats why i go with the older Trans Am's =D

Dude that majorly sucks but have the engine shop take a look at everything quickly. I know personally that on an engine i had someone else build for me because I didn't have the time, the put the damned rocker arms on backwards lmfao. Have them look it over and the best of luck to you.

Older Pontiacs are the way to go =D
2 1980's... one is a resto mod witht a 434cid engine and the other I just picked up for a complete rebuild, with the 4.9L turbo engine =D haha

good luck

Stephen

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 9:50 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Well nows the perfect reason to stuff the LS7 in there

yeah good idea. considering the LS7 cost more than what his car is worth.

Jon, if you ever do decide to do an engine swap, let me know. ill buy your LS1 off you

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:11 PM
sounds like who ever installed every thing didn't know what they where doing

i would get new long block from GM
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/2001-2002-Camaro-LS1-57-Liter-350CI-New-Goodwrench-Engine-89017548-P798C63.aspx

some times it better to just start over like for example if your computer was throwing error messages and just operating poorly would keep messing around with it or would just re intall every thing?

www.golensengineservice.com

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 11:16 PM
LS2FTW

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Thursday, October 09, 2008 4:29 AM
carnivorous mouse wrote:sounds like who ever installed every thing didn't know what they where doing

i would get new long block from GM
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/2001-2002-Camaro-LS1-57-Liter-350CI-New-Goodwrench-Engine-89017548-P798C63.aspx

some times it better to just start over like for example if your computer was throwing error messages and just operating poorly would keep messing around with it or would just re intall every thing?

www.golensengineservice.com

I took the car to a very reputable shop in Deleware. Numerous reviews on LS1tech said that he had a very good shop and they knew what they were doing. I actually asked him if he would just put 2 pistons in my old engine to fix it and he refused. He said that's not the kind of work he does and doesn't want his shop known for it. I have complete faith in his work, but something went screwy.

I definetly would have prefered a new long block to put in or even a Jasper engine but funds were not available to do it. However I have a feeling by the time I'm done I'll have ended up spending that much money anyway.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 5:06 AM
Gotta pay to play

Thursday, October 09, 2008 5:25 AM
LowFire wrote:Gotta pay to play

I'm sick of paying! I just want to drive the damn thing and be happy with it

Thursday, October 09, 2008 8:48 AM
where is the knock coming from ? also nothing special about LS6 lifters , LS2 and LS7 use the same lifters and are the upgraded units , then the race lifters from the cts-v program

did you get the correct size push rods ? there is alot of different sizes out there

Thursday, October 09, 2008 8:50 AM
forgot to mention , friend of mine with a LS2 gto , just had a cam and dart heads done on his , and it made a odd knocking noise from the valve train , and ended up having to go to 20/50 oil and it solved the knocking from the valve train

Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:01 AM
I think it's top end.

I'm tempted to just drain the oil, start it up and do a burnout till the damn thing throws a rod. I'm so sick of worrying about it. I'd rather not have it at all then be pissed off about it all the time. It's my dream car but it's not worth the stress.

BTW if I do that I'll make sure I take video.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:24 AM
Its it a knocking, or a ticking?

my gf has a '94 pickup with a 350 that ran for what I believe to be about a month or so maybe more with about 1 quart of oil in it. (its got an electrical problem that keeps it from running otherwise shed still be driving it, it barely makes noise)

Im willing to bet you need to have rockers adjusted or something, or maybe you have a bad lifter, but then again that would be a ticking, or slapping sound and not a knocking.

Id go back to the shop and ask them to take a look, you get a warranty on the work or anything?

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, October 09, 2008 11:47 AM
The knocking noise I'm hearing is very hard for me to tell where it's coming from. It only does it when there is a load on the engine. For now at least. My invoice doesn't say anything about a warranty but I'm confident that if they messed something up, they will fix it. I'm praying it's something valve train related. That will be much easier and less expensive to fix. I'm hoping that something just needs tightened down again that worked loose after running it for a bit.

Thursday, October 09, 2008 5:03 PM
So take it to them and have them check it out...

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Friday, October 10, 2008 7:41 AM
Yeah it will go back down either Monday or Tuesday more than likely. I'm hoping it's something stupid like an exhaust leak or an accessory making noise. It's been known to happen on LS1's. But that's not my luck.

Friday, October 10, 2008 8:51 AM
If they don't figure it out Jon Id be more then willing to take it off your hands to solve the problem

Besides Im due for a visit out there and to steal some rodents.

Satch Timeline Progress Thread
JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Friday, October 10, 2008 10:21 AM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:If they don't figure it out Jon Id be more then willing to take it off your hands to solve the problem

Only have one left that you could steal

Friday, October 10, 2008 10:25 AM
MiniTransAm/02WS6TA wrote:
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:If they don't figure it out Jon Id be more then willing to take it off your hands to solve the problem

Only have one left that you could steal

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'll just have to take the T/A then

Satch Timeline Progress Thread
JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search