Ford's MyKey technology - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ford's MyKey technology
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 4:55 PM

With MyKey, parents can program the car’s control computers to set limits on drivers and maintain safety systems.
Among the items controlled by the key:

-- Max speed is limited to 80 miles per hour, and warning chimes can sound at 45, 55 and 65 miles per hour.

-- The seatbelt warning chime sounds and the radio is muted until the belt is buckled.

-- The low-fuel warning comes on with 75 miles remaining, instead of the usual 50 miles.

-- Radio volume is limited to 44 percent of maximum.

-- Safety technologies such as traction control and blind-spot detection cannot be deactivated.

Ford says the MyKey program will be standard on the 2010 Focus that goes on sale next year, and will be optional on many other of the automaker’s products.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Ford's MyKey technology
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 5:26 PM
so what about the adults that need these limits set on them? LOL

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 5:51 PM
sounds like an awesome idea to me

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 5:51 PM
FReQ Z (ikE-Zed) wrote:so what about the adults that need these limits set on them? LOL

x2

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 7:06 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(™)]
FReQ Z (ikE-Zed) wrote:so what about the adults that need these limits set on them? LOL

x2

xabillionty

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 7:29 PM
Makes me glad I grew up when I did. Of course my first car was barely capable of 80mph anyways.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 12:05 AM
rofl. another gimmick that will not help ford sell.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:59 AM
honestly, as a parent, I like this idea. and if I was in the market for a new car and my son was getting near driving age, I would buy it

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
Those so naive, so hard headed, so narcissistic, that think that by their own efforts can single handedly change the world, are always the ones that do.
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 11:15 AM
They should use a more restrictive version of this for people who can't pay their speeding/traffic tickets or the increased insurance rates caused by their bad driving because they have to give up their car and can't go to work.
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 12:07 PM
I like the idea. I know some kids that really need it too. For example, my friend's son who decided to try to drift his parents Volvo last week, and slid it sideways up a curb at a high speed and did a good $5000 in damage to the entire side of the car.

Hopefully it catches on with other MFGs. And in that respect, if Ford patented it, hopefully they don't try to collect a restrictively high license fee.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 12:18 PM
That's freakin brilliant.
Now if only someone could translate this tech to teen's privates... parents might actually be able to sleep at night.

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] coach built xj  ( o   \[][][][][][][]/  o ) hid wj

Friday, October 10, 2008 7:48 AM
That's a great idea. I think Ford has come up with some neat idea's lately. I would love Sync technology in my Sunfire or Trans Am

Friday, October 10, 2008 9:36 AM
Am I the only one who wonders why a 16 year old needs a 2010 car anyway? Similar to what FstCavZ24 mentioned, my first car was an '86 Ford Tempo bought in 1999, it was barely capable of getting to 80mph anyway.

Friday, October 10, 2008 9:46 AM
so the key that is put in the ignition tells it its a kid?

i dont think its a bad idea but i could get around it. I dont think ive done over 80 in my car in a couple years though lol

Friday, October 10, 2008 9:53 AM
an idea i had a while ago and wish i could do something with would be a safety feature that you had to have the seat belt buckled in before you could put the car in gear... their idea is neat, but OH NOES if you can hear the radio... thats not the biggest thing to worry about...

overall, i think thats pretty neat technology

Friday, October 10, 2008 11:53 AM
This is really a great idea and I hope other manufacturers put it into practice. I was a really mild kid in highschool. My first vehicle was 8 years old and couldn't go above 60..yay for Jeep 4 cylinders....

Buuuuttt, my parents cars were definitely in better shape(mom's trans am for instance). I'm sure we all have our dumb kid moments when we had access to fast cars. Tech like this could probably save a lot of lives and stop us from making stupid mistakes like this when we were kids.

A guy I went to school with(total dick btw) was going 100-something in a Geo Tracker when we had a front coming in(50ish mph winds). He lost control, jumped a median and knocked out two cars. He walked away. 8 people...two families..never walked, breathed again..

^Worst part about that. He lost his license, like totally, for years and years. His parents felt so bad for him because he took it a little hard, they went out and bought him a brand new R1. Which two weeks later he totalled while doing a wheelie in the school parking lot. God damn I hated that guy. He killed 8 people, didn't learn anything, and was a waste of space...and he got away with it almost completely. Some people need to go die in a fire..Srsly.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search