Car with many Issues. - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car with many Issues.
Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:19 PM
My parents own a 2006 Grand Prix, and have had nothing but problems with it ever since they bought it. They bought it with about 27k on it, and as of today has about 52k on it. It ran like hell after about 5 months of having it, went through 3 sets of tires, constantly was breaking belts for no apparant reason. We took it to the dealership (under warranty) at least 6-10 times. They hooked up a computer to it to take a scan of when it was acting up. It never acted up when the computer was on it, they were supposed to press the button when it begun to act up. A few weeks later it began to run like crap again, hesatation, doggy, sputtering. Just crap. So we changed the plugs out at about 48k and wires too. #5 was pure black and the rest looked like they came out of a car with 100k on them. It fixed the problem till about this week, it is back to sputtering and it's crap. We had issues with the transmission seeming to slip. Put it in gear it would rev up then slam itself into gear. Dealership could not match our description, go figure. So our question is what is causing this craptastic car to do this.
This probably seems like a damn life story but i am trying to be descriptive also.
It has a hell of a shake at crusing speed 55-65. Just had tires balanced and rotated earlier this week. And alignment seems fine. Always has had a minor shake, but progressivly getting worse. What could be a factor of this?

Thank you for ANY help!

Re: Car with many Issues.
Monday, September 01, 2008 1:47 PM
bump

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 11:13 AM
change the fuel filter on it, or any routine manintence??

had a allignment at all done or it checked out ok on a machine??

bent rim?

does it have enough tranny fluid in it?

good luck

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 2:31 PM
bent frame?

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 3:37 PM
we have kept up with routine matienance and then some. Alignment is fine, rims are not bent. Car is just a pile for it's age. We call it the Katrina Car. ( came from hurrican katrina, flood waters). Bought it from a dealership, has a clean title. It never throws a cel or any codes, is that a clue to tampering in the computer? Anyway i can check if codes have been cleared?

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:24 PM
That has to be a rental car.

Could explain a lot....

Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:44 AM
Does CEL ever light up?

If not, it's prolly burnt out.

My advice: Junk it or get another dealer to look it over top to bottom and use it for a couple days to see if it's doing the same thing.

IF the plugs are fouling, you might want to run a compression test on the affected cylinder.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:00 PM
The sooner you get rid of it, the better...

Friday, September 05, 2008 4:57 AM
Yeah, doesn't sound like anything worth saving to me. Especially if it is a Katrina car. If it was flooded and cleaned up, I bet there are all kinds of wiring/electronics issues.

Friday, September 05, 2008 7:25 AM
In my experience, pontiacs are NOTORIOUS for electrical issues. Try to get a lemon law order.

Friday, September 05, 2008 10:27 AM
We definatly don't plan on keeping it, just waiting to find a good car to buy. Selling it might be tough because of the damn shake it has. We don't want to trade it either, knowing dealers love to steal your money. A lemon law order, does that cost anything and what can it show? Like a carfax?

Friday, September 05, 2008 10:28 AM
Oh btw, sorry if I confused you. It ISN'T really a katrina car, we jokingly call it that because of the issues.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search