2003 Sentra se-r - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2003 Sentra se-r
Friday, August 22, 2008 5:20 PM
im thinking of trading in my j for one of these, anyone have any experience with these cars?? im not opting for the spec v cause imo the interior is fugly, and i dont see the need for me to have a 6spd and lsd as im not gonna be racing this car, its more for something to get me around till im done school and besides i have my crx for racing. i know of only two immediate problems with the 2.5 in these cars and thats the butterfly valves and the pre-cat in all years to 06 and a headgasket problem and trans problem in the 02s, if there are any other please let me know. if anyone has any experience any at all please chime in.....i would ask on a sentra forum but i dont want biased responses

Re: 2003 Sentra se-r
Friday, August 22, 2008 6:15 PM
avoid. My friends was problematic, and i'm pretty sure they are known for not being very reliable (just little things, and electrical issues) iirc.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:23 PM
meh.. driven one at work a couple times here and there... the looks are bland and it doesn't go as good as it should. I can't tell you much from a reliability standpoint, but for the money, I think you could find something better (and not necessarily GM of course...)

Nope.
Friday, August 22, 2008 7:31 PM
the dealer wants $7k cad before trade in, and after owning my j im not really interested in another gm, even though the cobalt ss/tc i test drove was decent, what other cars are there in that kind of price range? i need to go through a dealer so i can do a trade and finance the remaining amount. i keep hearing mixed reviews about the sentra some people will be like its great no problems and the other people will say they have had tons of problems. These mixed reviews are making me fear the car im looking at might be a lemon and im beginning to think twice about buy it. anybody else have experience? or have a suggestion for a car to look at?
Friday, August 22, 2008 7:49 PM
slow a balls given it was a rental lol. yet my neighbor has one and its been sitting for 6wks plus due to the bearing in the wheels and the tensionor and its burns a qrt of oil every 500 miles. very know issues with them.

Friday, August 22, 2008 9:53 PM
Pretty much junk.

My co worker has an 03...engine is decent, but the rest of the car is falling apart......

Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:57 AM
thanks for the input, im gonna go look at a 99 prelude sh tomorrow
Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:19 AM
^^^^^^^WAYYYYYYYYYYY better choice believe me.

My friend had a 03 SER non spec-V and ended up going 31 times in 17 months to the dealership for small and big fixes excluding regular maintenance, on warranty though but still @$!¦ to go through.

I remember it was pretty oil thirsty, gas thirsty and one huge pain in the @ss for the owner. lol

Saturday, August 23, 2008 7:59 AM
Wow, I'm very surprised to hear you guys have had such bad reliabilities with them. Couple guys at work have one. They have loved them very much. Both moded and while they weren't fast out of the box they took to the mods very well. Neither one has had any problem at all. Well one co-worker did but that was mainly because his sat without ever being started for 8mo while he was deployed.

My family and I have owned a few nissans over the years and have had nothing but good luck with them.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:53 AM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:Wow, I'm very surprised to hear you guys have had such bad reliabilities with them. Couple guys at work have one. They have loved them very much. Both moded and while they weren't fast out of the box they took to the mods very well. Neither one has had any problem at all. Well one co-worker did but that was mainly because his sat without ever being started for 8mo while he was deployed.

My family and I have owned a few nissans over the years and have had nothing but good luck with them.

yea thats why i was unsure of the car, i keep hearing good things then i hear 10x more bad things, i think im just gonna steer clear of the se-r and look into a honda as im more familiar with them, working on a honda is easy, swaps are a breeze and motors are plentiful and not as problematic, not to mention hold up even after being beaten on...my crx is a perfect example i drive the car like i stole it and its never had a problem ever, well not motor wise, only problem ive had is the seatbelts which honda replaced for free under the lifetime warranty.

anyone have any suggestions on cars to look at??
Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:17 PM
The SE-R Spec V Sentras shouldn't have that many problems with them, the major issue I remember with them is the Throttle butterfly screws coming loose and getting sucked into the engine.

I'd opt for an Altima or a newer Sentra if I had no plans to mod (I have the Altima SE-R, and I plan to "lightly" mod it). The newer Sentra has the CVT, so take that as both a plus and minus.

The Prelude is a good car too, but I seriously hope you don't plan to drive it in the winter. If you do, get a good set of snow radials, and invest in cleaning the undercarriage thoroughly, and rust proofing with Krown (park it on the road for the first week if you can, that stuff will drip while it penetrates... Yes, that sounded dirty ). Clean the undercarriage thoroughly after the winter too.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:10 PM
^ The new Altimas are HOT! Saw one today and was very impressed.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:42 PM
the lude i went to look at was garbage 310km, interior looked like it went though a war and they wanted $6k. i might be picking up a rhd crx sir, but im not sure how left turns would work haha, the crx might see some winter driving, but before winter hits whatever car i buy, im going to rockerguard the whole bottom of the car, wheel wells and all and then go for rust proofing. I know that i might not say im gonna mod now, but i know eventually im gonna get bored with whatever car and start modding. I really like the new altimas but i need something really good on gas, unless the altima is? i do a lot of highway driving to get to and from school, be nice to spend less at the pumps.
Monday, August 25, 2008 3:36 AM
Jookycola wrote:avoid. My friends was problematic, and i'm pretty sure they are known for not being very reliable (just little things, and electrical issues) iirc.

I strongly agree. My friend has had three engines replaced under warranty already....and his current motor with about 12,000 on it is running like crap.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:25 PM
01 zed wrote:the lude i went to look at was garbage 310km, interior looked like it went though a war and they wanted $6k. i might be picking up a rhd crx sir, but im not sure how left turns would work haha, the crx might see some winter driving, but before winter hits whatever car i buy, im going to rockerguard the whole bottom of the car, wheel wells and all and then go for rust proofing. I know that i might not say im gonna mod now, but i know eventually im gonna get bored with whatever car and start modding. I really like the new altimas but i need something really good on gas, unless the altima is? i do a lot of highway driving to get to and from school, be nice to spend less at the pumps.

Left turns are exactly the same as it is in your LHD car... steer and keep your head up. If I were you, I'd go Krown: If you have to worry about road salt, it's the best because it really creeps everywhere which is what you want.

If you want something that will be fun, but will be practical, look at the new Sentra SE-R's with the 6 spd close ratio, or a Versa/Yaris/Echo and mod the hell out of it. The new Altima is nice, and it's got about the same gas mileage as the older ones with similar engines... If you're doing mostly highway, I'd go for either the 2.5S or 3.5SE, but lean toward the 2.5S mainly because it's the least thirsty and still pretty peppy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search