83 z28 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
83 z28
Sunday, June 01, 2008 7:34 PM
So I picked up a new car about a month ago. Its an 83 z28 with a mildly built 350, built t5, stiffer clutch, and rebuilt rear. The body is overall pretty nice.

So it stayed like that for all of a month then I decided to play a bit. This is what I got done installing about an hour ago.

two switches: 1. arm 2. bottle heater
button on wire: purge
nitrous pressure gauge

see the solenoids?

see the plate under the holley 670?

bottle in the only place it will fit.

I have it set for a 100 shot at the moment. I haven't run it, gotta get new plugs and retard the timing a bit still.

Its got an HEI ignition, I wonder if my DIS-RAS will be compatible... waiting on MSD to write me back about that

Re: 83 z28
Sunday, June 01, 2008 7:47 PM
pics of you with the mullet that comes free with every purchase of a 3rd gen or none of this is real

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Sunday, June 01, 2008 8:11 PM
i'm very impressed with the condition of the interior. the inside of my 89 looked like hell.

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, June 01, 2008 9:18 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:pics of you with the mullet that comes free with every purchase of a 3rd gen or none of this is real

wtf u talkin about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdegQmtgFSM

Sunday, June 01, 2008 9:27 PM
hahaha that vid rocks.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Sunday, June 01, 2008 9:42 PM
Couldnt see too well, but does the dash have any cracks? When my friend bought his 84 camaro, we had to replace the dash, arm rest, door panels and those panels on the sides in the back (where the speakers are). all from either sunfade or cracking. Nice find. you going to put AC back in or just take the bracket off?
Sunday, June 01, 2008 10:15 PM
Very clean, good find!

Monday, June 02, 2008 12:07 AM
The bottle will fit in behind the passenger side rear tire well under that speakercover/plastic crap. Thats where my buddy put his on his 87 Iroc.
Monday, June 02, 2008 5:46 AM
I couldn't stop laughing thru the entire video, I had to watch it twice!

No cracks anywhere in the dash. The guy who owned it since it was new kept it in his garage and then at werk it was in a parking garage. Everything is all original except a couple buttons and the rug. I'm not really sure what I am going to do with the AC just yet. Probably just get rid of it. I have never been a fan of the finer things anyway.

thanks bro!

OK, the bottle will fit in that rear passenger side tire well but I like the idea of having a spare tire.

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:34 AM
did you race that smart car??

If so....who won?? (j/k)...thats a straight clean 3rd gen.

If you need parts...hit me up

Monday, June 02, 2008 2:23 PM
Very clean third gen. I can't get over how well the interior was kept up. I would put some sub frame connectors in before you run it too hard. It gets chassis flex real easy. It doesn't take much power at all. With the T-Tops its not hard to get a good launch and crack the dash. Pretty common actually.

Also, the bottle looks real nice in between the two rear seats on that hump where the drive shaft runs underneath. Makes it easy to reach in a pinch also unless of course you've got a remote bottle opener. Do your T-Tops leak? Its a pretty common problem and I see a little bit of cancer starting on the top of it.

Mind if I ask how much you picked it up for? I love it.

Monday, June 02, 2008 2:35 PM
ive never been a fan of those headlights on those things
but the sound of the motor makes up for it

Monday, June 02, 2008 2:58 PM
very nice for as old as it is, good find

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 6:59 AM
thanks for the kind werds guys!

rabbit - the interior is mint cause half of the buttons have been replaced, the rug has been replaced, and the original owner only drive it to and from werk, where it was garaged on both sides of the trip. I have the subframe connectors from comp engineering but dear gawd, the @!#$ you have to go thru to install them is unsane! They were given to me with the car, they never installed them because of the amount of cash the welder wanted. Comp Engineering Subframe connectors T-tops did leak, I took care of that issue with some blacktop silicone. Werked real well on my vert so I figured what the hell. It doesn't usually see the rain unless I am caught out in it. I look at the weather every morning. 1st gear is totally useless in the rain. I paid 4500 for it. I have a reciept for the motor built which was a lil over 3100. The trans and the rear have been rebuilt. The clutch replaced, the interior done, the car bought, the new radiator, new tires. I pretty much got it for less than they put into it. Not to mention it only has 3K on the entire drivetrain and is still under warrantee from the shop that did all the werk. The owner needs knee replacements and cable clutch owns him hard!

marin8r - If you are talkin about the black under the headlights, I myself don't know what to think about them. Some days I like them, other days I don't. I can't really make up my mind.

I know I haven't been able to find a set of rims I would like for it. Nothing that goes with the paint scheme other than whats on it. The issue there is that if I want to do a brake upgrade I need bigger rims...

thanks again guys!

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 4:45 PM
C4 corvette front brakes and LS1 rear brakes is a very good upgrade and can be had pretty cheap. Its not to difficult to do also. There is a good write up on it on www.thirdgen.org you should look into that. The parts can be had used pretty cheap. Except the rotors and pads of course just buy new ones they aren't expensive. You will save a fortune compared to buying a big brake kit and trust me it will give you plenty of stoping power.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 5:14 PM
sweet camaro I had 2 83 and 84 actually looking at an 82 I might pick up to go with the 92 rs and 94 z28 thats if my girl lets me get another one

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Wednesday, June 04, 2008 6:45 AM
I wanna stick with the stock rims I think... I haven't found anything else that I like. I am contemplating a new braking system tho... LS1 rears, is that the PBR swap? I was thinking about trying out an adjustable prop valve first. I did notice that the rears don't feel like they are doing anything but when I went to adjust them (drums) they were right on the money...

z28 - a woman has no say in what you do with your money unless you are married. done deal.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 7:13 AM
I just did a Moser 12 Bolt swap in my '84 z28 (92 Clone). If you decide to do a rear disc swap look for 93-94 z28 rear discs the ls1 are to big to fit under those rims. Even with the 93 z28 brakes that I used I needed to put a 5/16 wheel spacer between the rim and the rotor. I also went to a manual proportioning valve and swaped out for a 92 1LE Master Cyl. If you have any questions about it I have pictures I could post. I have had my camaro for 11yrs and have been drag racing it for the last 8 yrs on the same motor, 11.43 @ 119 ain't to bad, lol....

The only thing I noticed is the 140mph speedo? Those did not come out until 1986 and the 1985s had 120mph.
Its definitely a nice find....straight and clean !!

3rd Gen Fbodys for Life !!!!

Sorry for the thread jack......I just couldn't resist

Thursday, June 05, 2008 7:56 AM
good catch on the speedo! Yea it was an IROC swap out from what I heard. I also have the original speedo, the 85mph one with the dual needle, kinda wierd...

I heard the 10 bolts are junky but the 9 bolts are even werse so I guess I am lucky to have what I have. I don't know what gears are in it, it definitely doesn't match up with my speedo!

thanks for the info on the rear discs. As it sits now, I just couldn't imagine any other rims on it. The prop valve I think would help as well, not that I want to lock up all four but if it would give me better stopping power I wouldn't argue!

I take it that the lipkit on your bumper and your bumper are a one piece deal? Like the LS sport kit? I am not fond of the vent in my lip and would like to swap it out. Plus take the sticker off of it! gross!

No sticker

No vent

same color

hey! post jack all you want if you are posting pics of your camaro!

Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:19 AM
hey, I can kinda see it but not really totally sure, where should the fuel solenoid go? Before or after the FPR? I have it before as of right now but I haven't used it yet. Still need to get some colder plugs? What plugs should I get? TR6 still?

I take it the fuel line that looks like its going to your hood is going to your pressure gauge?

Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:45 AM
My front bumper is 2 pieces. In 1985 they changed the frt fascia. If you look close yours is squared off at the edges. A 85-92 has rounded edges. The lower lip is also different from 82-84 and 85-90 and 91-92 have the aero vents on the sides. That is what I switched to. 85-92 upper and lower bumpers are interchangable, but, 82-84 are by themself.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 9:42 AM
I heard that the more HP you have in those things the longer your mullet has to be.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Thursday, June 05, 2008 11:07 AM
a ding dang doo!

Thursday, June 05, 2008 12:53 PM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:hey, I can kinda see it but not really totally sure, where should the fuel solenoid go? Before or after the FPR? I have it before as of right now but I haven't used it yet. Still need to get some colder plugs? What plugs should I get? TR6 still?

I take it the fuel line that looks like its going to your hood is going to your pressure gauge?

I have my fuel solenoid after the regulator.....my fuel tank is sumped and I have a Aeromotive 150gph pump with -08AN line to the regulator.
If you can fit them behind the headers used a R43T AcDelco plug or Autolite AR13 (short body) if its a tight fit.
Check your total timing it should be no higher than 34 deg. with a 100hp shot.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 1:02 PM
Jcavi wrote:I heard that the more HP you have in those things the longer your mullet has to be.

I don't know what you are talking about!

3... 3 what?

how do i check my TOTAL timing? As in check each wire and then add them up?

how much colder are they compared to stock?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search