What do to? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What do to?
Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:27 AM
I have two cars. A 2000 Dodge Dakota(that gets about 10-12mpg on average), and a 1996 Miata(26-28mpg ave). The truck I sorta need. I have stuff I need to tow, but my dad has offered me his truck anytime I need it.

Both vehicles will need a couple thousand dollars worth of work in the next 6 months.

I have a couple options.

1. Sell the Miata as is for maybe 3 grand...Maaayyybbeee.. Trade the truck in and use the money from the Miata towards the purchase of a new vehicle-more than likely a car, probably spend around 20-25K or so. Major downside is more payments..right now we have it setup so we can live off of one paycheck. With another vehicle, we couldn't do that if one of us needed to take off for whatever reason(me with chronic disease..and we're planning another child soon, so she may want to take off again). Also, I'd have to borrow my dad's truck a few times a month.

2. Sell the truck and put some of that money towards the Miata. Save the rest up for another vehicle down the line.

3. Keep both and work on whichever I use the most first...and replacing whatever needs to be taken care of the most first.

I drive the truck once a week..at most..I like it because It's older and it's my go-to truck...I can take it to the beach and get the inside a little dirty and not cry over it...plus it's 4x4, which is huge in the summer.
The Miata is a fun car period. It drives good, gets pretty decent mileage for how I drive it, and plus it's great to drop the top. RWD, easy enough to work on most of the time. Problem is I'd be putting several thousand into a car that didn't cost me but a few thousand to begin with...It's hot as hell in the summer times-even with AC-plus there's no backseat.

What's your advice?

Re: What do to?
Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:37 AM
Sell the Miata for 1K.

Cash in hand.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:45 AM
I'm pretty certain I could easily get 2-3grand for it...possibly more now that people are hungry for fun cars that get good mpg.

Selling just the Miata isn't an option. If I sell it, I have to get a different vehicle. I would spend at least 2-300$ on gas a month just driving the truck back and forth to work...whereas I spend less than 100$ driving the Miata now.
Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:56 AM
Easy solution.

Sell the Miata for 1K. Cash in hand.

Buy a Saturn SL1 as an all purpose beater for $500.

You just made $500 ... and get to see an LS1 droppe into the Miata.

Win-Win

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search