GM's next small car... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM's next small car...
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:20 PM

By MT...
DETROIT -- We now know that the "leaked" United Auto Workers contract document that lays out General Motors' plant strategy for the next five years was filled with vague and perhaps intentionally misleading information. For example, GM's Hamtramck, Michigan, factory will build the "Global Delta Volt" in 2010, a year after it begins a Delta-platform MPV and two years before it begins building the Epsilon II next-generation Malibu. But if the Chevy Volt does, indeed, slip because of problems with emerging battery technology, the MPV might provide enough volume to keep Hamtramck's lights on. Similarly, it lists a new C7 Corvette for Bowling Green, Kentucky, in the '13 model year, but that car's timing is continuing to slip.
Blame GM's huge effort to globalize its platforms by the end of that five-year plan and Department of Transportation's recently released Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards for 2011-'15. Those proposed standards have made GM's small-car strategy all the more important. And confusing. So here's an update to Mike Connor's spy shot story from last week on the 2010 Chevy Cobalt.

First, it looks like the Cobalt and plug-in hybrid Volt won't be on the same platform. Cobalt will move to the Daewoo-developed Gamma front-drive, small-car platform. The UAW document indicates the Lordstown, Ohio, factory that currently builds Cobalt and Pontiac G5 will be built on the Gamma platform, which will be stretched to accommodate those cars. Gamma also will underpin the next-generation Opel Corsa and Meriva, and the 2011 or '12 Chevrolet Aveo. Base engine for the '10 Chevy Cobalt will be a 1.4L light-pressure turbo four, which makes its debut a year earlier in the last of the current Cobalts. "Light-pressure" means the engine isn't designed for performance, but to provide decent power from a small, highly fuel-efficient powerplant via relatively low pressure. Pontiacs have their own special place in the Canadian market, and a G5 will again be built with the Chevy Cobalt, whether U.S. dealers demand it or not. Given $4 per gallon gas and '11-'15 CAFE, U.S. Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealers are likely to get the next-generation G5 as well.

The Opel Astra will be on the next-generation Delta platform. In Western Europe, the all-important C-segment is for all practical purposes "midsize," even though it's considered "compact" here. The Opel Zafira is likely to serve as the basis for the Hamtramck plant Delta MPV, probably a Saturn, although there's word the Zafira may move up to the larger Epsilon platform to better compete with the bigger, more successful Ford C-Max. Which explains two Deltas, the MPV and the Volt, being built alongside the next Malibu, an Epsilon, at that factory -- it could turn out to be two Epsilons and a Delta.

What of the Saturn Astra? Logic indicates that car will be built on the new Delta platform for the '11 model year, since GM is linking Saturn and Opel on most models, including the current Astra. But the new Saturn lineup hasn't caught on. Most buyers don't know anything about the brand. Given the cost of building the Astra in Belgium, production of the Saturn version should migrate to the States. Question is whether it will be built in a Delta factory, which probably would be Hamtramck, or whether it would move to the cheaper Gamma platform and be built in Lordstown.

GM North America president Troy Clarke, who declared Sloanism alive and well at the Chicago auto show earlier this year, told Automotive News this week that sales are down 15.4 percent at the revamped Saturn because consumers don't know the brand. No, uh, kidding, Sherlock. Saturn's massive marketing strategy simply hasn't been massive enough in a market that combines poor sales for everyone with stiffer-than-ever competition.

GM really missed an opportunity with Saturn and the Chevy Volt. The plug-in Volt should have been a Saturn. GM chose Chevy to compete with the high-volume Toyota brand, but its Prius is about to become part of its own division of "green" cars within Toyota. With its new line of Opel-centric cars, Saturn is now GM's designated import-fighter, which is supposed to include everything from entry-level Acuras to Volkswagens to Toyotas. As such, Saturn basically fills the slot left by Oldsmobile, which was...GM's import-fighter in its later years. Olds also was traditionally GM's "experimental" division. Yes, I know that Saturn has promised to introduce a plug-in hybrid Vue in '10, but there would have been no better way to put the brand on the automotive map than to give it the first uniquely designed plug-in.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: GM's next small car...
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:34 PM
so much for the possibility of the AWD Delta 2 platform in 2010 then eh?

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:00 PM
"Light-Pressure"

hahahaha...will it have an idiot light when someone hooks up a MBC and cranks up the boost? "warning: this is not a performance turbo engine"

anyway, how does this daewoo-developed gamma platform compare to what the current saturn/opel astra ride on? I'd rather rock the european roots than the korean roots...not to mention 1.8L HO ecotec

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:56 PM
I'm so confused.

Is the simple "jist" of that whole thing that the next Cobalt will be built on the next Aveo platform then?

That sounds like a horrid idea.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:23 PM
That's some pretty half assed info...but at least part of it is right.

Some will be built in L town, some in Mexico, and a few in Michigan

That's all I'll say...for now.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:15 AM
Jookycola wrote:I'm so confused.

Is the simple "jist" of that whole thing that the next Cobalt will be built on the next Aveo platform then?

That sounds like a horrid idea.

Don't blame GM, blame the politicians, and blame yourselves. They passed the new CAFE standards, and you voted for them.

(Note: by using the word 'you' I am not referring to one specific person on this site, or that posted/replied to this post. I have to put this disclaimer or someone is going to jump all over me with "but *I* never voted for them!!!")

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:31 AM
100$ that this engine is as easily modable as VW's own light-pressure turbo, where you could gain like 50hp just by raising the boost pressure. I hope engines like this become standard, would make hot-rodding cars so much easier.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:01 PM
One more pic.
I'm digging the profile. Has a similar profile to the current Civic and Sonata.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:49 PM
i see the front and think toyota

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:30 PM
Yet another reason I will not buy a new car from GM.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:00 AM
Its decent, but wont get my money

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:22 AM
they NEED to make a evo/wrx fighter version of the cobalt.

if they could adapt AWD, we already have the LNF motor, even with the R&D spent on converting the platform to AWD I think they would still cut a profit

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
Those so naive, so hard headed, so narcissistic, that think that buy their own efforts can single handedly change the world, are always the ones that do.
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:42 AM
i hope that paintjob stays!!!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:04 AM
NUTCASE . wrote:they NEED to make a evo/wrx fighter version of the cobalt.

if they could adapt AWD, we already have the LNF motor, even with the R&D spent on converting the platform to AWD I think they would still cut a profit

I have a good feeling those days are over. The stupid politicians screwed it up for all of us. Because of upcoming average fuel economy standards, big companies like GM, and even small companies, probably won't be releasing too many low cost high performance cars.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:03 PM
NUTCASE . wrote:they NEED to make a evo/wrx fighter version of the cobalt.

people still wouldnt buy it

Sunday, June 01, 2008 3:01 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Yet another reason I will not buy a new car from GM.

Yeah, and I'm sure GM is going to cry about its eyes*. IIRC this is NOT the Cobalt, but the next Daewoo Nuburia.
Monday, June 02, 2008 2:03 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Daewoo-developed

Stopped reading after this. GM pretty much just signed ther death certificate to shake off that old vibe of being 'unreliable'.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Monday, June 02, 2008 2:10 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:One more pic.
I'm digging the profile. Has a similar profile to the current Civic and Sonata.

yeah, looks just as generic.

Monday, June 02, 2008 2:31 AM
You people make me laugh. Please tell me how many economy car sedans sold in this country look sexy? I'm not talking about the top tier preformance models either.
Monday, June 02, 2008 3:13 PM
deftonesfan817(martin edmonds) wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:Yet another reason I will not buy a new car from GM.

Yeah, and I'm sure GM is going to cry about its eyes*. IIRC this is NOT the Cobalt, but the next Daewoo Nuburia.

well it is a Daewoo POS and will probably be full of the current trend of electronic BS like everything else they offer. All the "high tech" BS does is jack up the price of the car for purchase and repair. I lost track of how many steering colums I had to replace due to bad electronic PS sensors. Even had to replace them right out of the box because the replacement one was no good. I prefer to be the one that decides what my car does and when i want it to happen. I wont be able to buy any GM product that is newer than a 04 because of the electronic BS. Plus that car looks as bland as every other car in its segment. My first thought is that they ripped off a Toyota or Nissan.

Monday, June 02, 2008 3:53 PM
Buy a Yaris.

Monday, June 02, 2008 4:04 PM
Why? Its fugly. I dont care for it at all. Probably has just as much BS as a GM anyways.

Monday, June 02, 2008 4:08 PM
Toyota or Nissan? Right.

Civic -Sonata prile with a Sonata front end is more like it.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Monday, June 02, 2008 4:11 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Why? Its fugly. I dont care for it at all. Probably has just as much BS as a GM anyways.

rofl newb get skill kthx pls rofl

Monday, June 02, 2008 5:11 PM
JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:Why? Its fugly. I dont care for it at all. Probably has just as much BS as a GM anyways.

rofl newb get skill kthx pls rofl

you make no sense. Arnt you the one with the yaris?

It reminds me of a Corolla (probably the general look of the front) and some of the Nissans I have seen pictures of. Find me a clear picture of the car and I may think otherwise. If it is a Daewoo i hope it turns out to be better than the Aveo did. I had a friend who had nothing but trouble with his Aveo. Even had the engine fall out when the motor mount broke. Less than 12K miles FTW.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search