1994 Bonneville SE - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1994 Bonneville SE
Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:17 PM
I am thinking of buying a cheap, but reliable older car, just to drive to work and back, to save on gas. Came across this the other day, it is pretty decent shape, too bad there is no picture.

Here it is anyhow. They have marked it down to $1995 now. Think I can get it any lower?

1994 Bonneville Se

The Bonneville would be nice, as I like large cars. Or, should I be looking for a $1000 Civic or something?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**

Re: 1994 Bonneville SE
Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:16 PM
Best thing to do? Get a Geo Metro. It'll feel just as cheap as the Civic but get amazing mileage and it's actually sort of fun to drive if you close your eyes and pretend you're driving a go-kart. Another advantage is that the parts are nearly given away and the 3 cylinder engine is so small that you can almost remove the whole thing with ordinary tools and your bare hands. Yeah, the Bonneville is wicked cool but it's no fuel miser and I figure that if you're gonna drive a car you don't want in the first place might as well get the cheapest and best value for your money.

Just my 2 cents.
Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:52 PM
parents have a bonneville, has 250k on it, but the transimission went out on it. real nice cars to drive i had thought about getting one myself a while back

Monday, May 12, 2008 4:50 AM
I knew someone that didn't change the oil for three years in one of those. Ran like a top. Hehe.

I wouldn't pay that much. Maybe if it were rust free, certified and e-tested.

I would not buy the 3cyl metro. The cylinder walls are thin. If you pop the engine, there's no way for a rebuild and last time I looked for a customer, there were no engines in the reckers.

I spent some time in the 16 valve 4 cyl metro. Neat little car.

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:13 PM
Ya, the thing is. I get over 30mpg easy when I drive the GTP to work and back. Although I don't get to drive it anymore. The GF doesn't like driving the truck. She says it is too big, and doesn't like being in parking lots with it.

So if my 3.8 s/c is getting over 30mpg, I should get the same or better out of a n/a 3.8. Should I not? For long as it is tuned up and running well.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Monday, May 12, 2008 3:15 PM
my dad had a 92 apv mini dustbuster with the series 1 3800 , and he would get 25-35 in it on a regular basis

so id think the bonnie would be in that range as long as its been cared for , and in good shape

but in all its how you drive it , obvious you know how to drive easy to get 30 from your gtp

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:22 AM
The gearing in the GTP helps alot. I suspect that the L67 would actually get better milleag on the highway at typical speeds over the NA car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search