Mazda 5 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Mazda 5
Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:30 PM
Well, with a longer commute lying ahead, I've decided it's high time to trade in the Pathfinder.

I'm intrigued by the Mazda 5. I like how it looks, plus the fact that it'll have the fuel efficiency I'll need, and still have room for carrying decent sized objects.

Does anyone have any real world feedback on this "chopped mini-van" as my wife calls it?

-John

Re: Mazda 5
Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:48 PM
What would you like to know?

Sunday, May 11, 2008 8:45 PM
Any known problems? How's it handle? Is it underpowered? Is it comfortable? I'm going to be using as a long distance daily commuter. I just want to know if it'll do well for that, and perhaps be a little fun as well. I also want to know what to look for if there's any known problems with them. Basically I'm looking for real world feedback provided by real people, and not "real people" paid by magazines to gloss over the truth....

-John

Sunday, May 11, 2008 11:12 PM
I believe there was a recall on early models of the Mazda5 due to the potential of exhaust system fires due to the automatic transmissions in some models. If you're looking new it shouldn't be a problem but if you're buying pre-owned, it would be in your best interest to make sure that particular vehicle has gone through the recall phase before you pursue negotiations on buying it.

While I've seen them at the Mazda dealership in my area (the remind me of a jacked up first-gen Focus hatchback), I can't say that I've seen that many on the road.
Monday, May 12, 2008 7:43 AM
Quote:

I can't say that I've seen that many on the road.

That's part of the reason I'm considering the 5. I had been thinking of a 3 wagon, but they're everywhere. Thanks for your input.

-John

Monday, May 12, 2008 7:57 AM
Buy an 08+.

They revamped the front and rear fascia which makes a huge difference ... added elbow rests, which also makes a huge difference ... 5spd Auto as opposed to 4spd for increased fuel economy ... and a lot of other minor features are now standard.

They are reliable, get good fuel economy, and are pretty versatile. All the rear seats fold own flat so you can fit a ridiculous amount of shizen back there. Standard MP3 jack. Side sliding doors that take little to no effort. Comfortable seats - the cloth arent the best, but definitely arent the worst. 6 standard air bags. 4 wheel disc brakes. Tilt and telescopic standard.

The car itself drives like a Mazda 3 with a 2L engine even though both GS and GT models have the 2.3L. I chalk that one up to the extra weight. As for handling, even though it is based on the 3 platform, the suspension has been re-done to accommodate the structural differences (they elongated the wheel base and extended the roof line) ... so it does not handle the same. However, it sure as hell does not handle like a mini-van or a CUV. Best bet would be to take one out and throw it around a little bit ... youll be surprised. I was.

For the price point I am a big fan of the 5 ... and there is really not a lot in the same market segment right now ... a Kia Rondo?

rofl @ that ... may as well buy an LS1 Camaro.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:30 AM
i like them i'd just suggest driving one maybe for an overnighter and see if its getting the gas milage claimed. my 3 never seemed to get the sticker on the window said it did.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search