Honest opinions 2005 Grand Prix GXP vs. Cobalt SS - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Honest opinions 2005 Grand Prix GXP vs. Cobalt SS
Friday, April 04, 2008 6:53 PM
I'm looking to get a new daily driver and found a 2005 GXP and 2006 Cobalt SS for around the same price. Both cars have some good and bad things about them. I was wondering if anyone on heres has any experience with these cars? just looking for some advice from my fellow jbody owners.

Thanks

Re: Honest opinions 2005 Grand Prix GXP vs. Cobalt SS
Friday, April 04, 2008 8:07 PM
Why would you pay the same price for half as much of a car? That's my two cents. GXP without a DOUBT!

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Friday, April 04, 2008 8:44 PM
gxp is the better car in every aspect except maybe gas mileage

Friday, April 04, 2008 9:21 PM
GXP - LS4, Bilsteins, PBR brakes, Alcoa forged wheels, 4 doors, a big-ass trunk, did i mention an LS4?
Cobalt SS - none of the above.

choose wisely

Friday, April 04, 2008 11:17 PM
I am leaning in the direction of the 2005 GXP, it has 60 000 kms and i got the salesman down to around $22000can. but I have heard the transmissions are crap. I was on their message board and read some post were the guy is on his 6th transmission within 50000 kms, and two other topics about bad trannys. I'm hoping these people have been really hard on the vehicle causing the failure. Does anyone know if you can get warranties on used cars? I'm buying it from a pontiac dealer.

Thanks guys for the input so far.

Friday, April 04, 2008 11:58 PM
Yes, you can. I got a warranty on my '04 Sunfire when I bought it.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Saturday, April 05, 2008 4:18 AM
I would not pay 22 grand for an 05 GXP. The dealer my father works at is seling an 06 SS Cobalt for 16 and it still has warranty. It seems to me that the prices in your area might be inflated. Maybe you should shop around.

Ignoring the pricing, I would chose the GXP if most of my driving was on the highway. That is where they shine. I wouldn't say the trannies are crap, the drawback is a that they are all auto's. It's my undestanding that the tourque management has been keeping trannies together. I just got rid of my 04 L67 Monte. The only time I wasn't bored to tears driving it was when I was hammering the throttle. Which was most of the time.

The real question is, do you want a zippy fun car, or a nice handling but combersome sled with ton's of power that will likely cost you big in fuel if you lean on it at all.

When looking for a used car, one is best served picking the car that is in the best condition possible. 60k is a long time for a car to be abused and damaged. Any damage at all other than a door ding, and I'd find another car.

22 plus warranty is a pretty high number for a used car. My new Solstice GXP wasn't too much more than that. If you are financing most of it, then you will likely be paying a great deal in interest. Business in dealers is so tough right now, you might consider a moderately priced newer car over the GXP. 22 Plus warranty isn't too far away from a new SS turbo with a great warranty and the piece of mind that you are not inheriting someone's problem.

If I were looking for a used car, I would find a Canadian dealer that is importing cars from the states.

Saturday, April 05, 2008 7:00 AM
i like the gxp's (friend has one and believe me it gets up and goes) but i'd rather have a lighter, 5 spd car personally.

Saturday, April 05, 2008 8:31 AM
I drive about 40 mins all highway driving to work 4 days a week. I'm going to try to work my price down to around 20gs. I really want something that is going to be good in the straight line and still have enough room to carry my friends in comfort. No point in having a nice car if you can't fit 4 girls in there comfortably HA HA. I'm looking to get about 3 to 4 years out of the car, and figure my insurance may be less because its a 4 door not a boy racer car. Plus if i get the cobalt ss I'm going to have to take that wing off right away and shave it down.. I pretty much got my mind made up just wanted to see if there was anyone screaming NO, those cars are bad news.

Thanks for all the advice.

Saturday, April 05, 2008 3:12 PM
Well i pick up the GXP on thursday.. I got $2400 off the final price with a 2 year 40000 km warranty. Will have some pics up. Now my only problem is how i'm going to get to sleep till then...

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 6:56 PM
apart from gas the GXP.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 7:05 PM
Cobalt SS

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:06 PM
Some points ill throw out there about the SS

Speed wise they will hang with a LS4 monte ss or grand prix, ive raced them at the track its pretty even

Handling is certainly going to be better in the Cobalt its way lighter, with that of course Gas mileage is a no contest

The ride quality will be much less in the cobalt , the grand prix will be like a pillow in comparison.

Room, obviously theres going to be more of it in the GXP.

Motor strength, durability and modding ability, its pretty much the same theres a huge aftermarket for ecos and of course the LSx

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search