Who would pay $48K for a Chevy Volt? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Who would pay $48K for a Chevy Volt?
Thursday, April 03, 2008 7:59 AM

In an interview with the BusinessWeek magazine, Bob Lutz said that the price for the production version of the electric Volt could reach about $48,000. He said that $40,000 is possible only if GM doesn’t make a penny on the car. Only if the government throws on tax incentives for purchasing a Volt, could only take the price close to the $30,000 mark.
And he continued that the Volt is the next big step for GM. Well, yes you know that already, but are you ready to pay that price for an electric car? So, what will Volt bring that important to worth the price? Well, we will see, won’t we?
Chevrolet Volt Concept was unveiled last year at the Detroit Auto Show. It is powered by the E-flex System – GM’s next-generation electric propulsion system. The Volt is also designed to run on E85, a fuel blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Who would pay $48K for a Chevy Volt?
Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:04 AM
screw that

Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:08 AM
i would

Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:41 AM
not me

Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:49 AM
Cadwz24 wrote:i would

Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:54 AM
If the only drawback was the range, yes.

At this time, for 48, I would expect a golf cart with license plates. In that case, not a chance.

I would hope that the governments would help with tax incentives to get the ball rolling. Too bad they are raking the cash in with taxes on fuel. I doubt they are motivated to help at all.

Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:44 AM
48k i wouldnt , 28k yes

there are to many other cars in the less than 35k range id rather have , so it would have to have something to make me choose it over anything else , and i dont see that happening to easily

Thursday, April 03, 2008 11:14 AM
right now I pay about $32 a week for gas, that's $128 a month. I pay $288 a month for my car payment. That takes me to $416 a month for payment and fuel. I figured that even at 0% financing a $48,000 car for 6 year will be about $706 a month. So I would still be in the hole. If they can get it to about $30,000 it'll be closer to me breaking even. Of course this is based on what I'm paying for gas now, about $3.20 a gallon. Unless it drops a lot in the next few years, which we all know will happen, this could all change.

Thursday, April 03, 2008 1:04 PM
48 grand? Are these people high????

Let's see... for 48,000$ I could get:

1) A pristine numbers matching COLLECTIBLE hardtop musclecar made between 1964-74 in showroom condition
2) A cherry 60's/70's convertible
3) A brand new 1957 Chevy hardtop or a very very nice Convertible
4) A brand new 1958 Plymouth Fury "Christine"
5) A brand new 2008 Challenger R/T or a Mustang GT Convertible OR the upcoming 2009 Camaro SS.
6) My choice of THREE 1980's era musclecars in near mint condition

Or... OR...

7) A glorified electric slot car "daily driver" (AKA: The Chevy Volt)

Hmmm... lemme think about it.

Know what? I'm gonna keep driving my 2002 Sunfire as a DD, pay the slightly more expensive cost of filling it up and instead spend my money on options 1 to 6.

The problem? Seriously? It's too expensive. As nearly all new cars are too expensive. I'd rather drive used cars for the rest of my life than buy new cars for half the price of a house.
Thursday, April 03, 2008 1:10 PM
let me know when you get that time machine for the "brand new" cars from the 50's you are talking about. i'll take 10 at their brand new 1950's prices thanks.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

WTF, Butt sex is not like sticking your finger in a jelly donut. -Alexis
Thursday, April 03, 2008 1:33 PM
JLAudioCavalier(1bad02cav) wrote:let me know when you get that time machine for the "brand new" cars from the 50's you are talking about. i'll take 10 at their brand new 1950's prices thanks.

Well, they sell reproduction 1957 Chevy's made from all new parts and 100% rebuilt 1958 Fury's now. So they're technically "brand new".

I wish I had a time machine. I'd totally lay the Cockknox on Marylin Monroe

Thursday, April 03, 2008 2:55 PM
im sorry but if time travel came into play, i honestly would be too busy buying camaro's for 5 grand to worry about @!#$ old bitches

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

WTF, Butt sex is not like sticking your finger in a jelly donut. -Alexis
Thursday, April 03, 2008 3:49 PM
Cadwz24 wrote:i would

Thursday, April 03, 2008 4:04 PM
I wouldn't pay that, but lots of people would.
You know some of these people getting the fully loaded caravans are dropping a decent but on a van, so a bit more for a car that is different.

Again I WOULDN'T so dont flame me... but come on, this is how it works, something new comes out, it starts high in prices then trickles down to the rest who can afford it.

It is alot, but not unexpected.
Thursday, April 03, 2008 7:24 PM
Knoxfire wrote:48 grand? Are these people high????

Let's see... for 48,000$ I could get:

1) A pristine numbers matching COLLECTIBLE hardtop musclecar made between 1964-74 in showroom condition
2) A cherry 60's/70's convertible
3) A brand new 1957 Chevy hardtop or a very very nice Convertible
4) A brand new 1958 Plymouth Fury "Christine"
5) A brand new 2008 Challenger R/T or a Mustang GT Convertible OR the upcoming 2009 Camaro SS.
6) My choice of THREE 1980's era musclecars in near mint condition

Or... OR...

7) A glorified electric slot car "daily driver" (AKA: The Chevy Volt)

Hmmm... lemme think about it.

Know what? I'm gonna keep driving my 2002 Sunfire as a DD, pay the slightly more expensive cost of filling it up and instead spend my money on options 1 to 6.

The problem? Seriously? It's too expensive. As nearly all new cars are too expensive. I'd rather drive used cars for the rest of my life than buy new cars for half the price of a house.

Friday, April 04, 2008 6:35 AM
um....no.
For that much i'd honestly get a Toyota Prius as my DD, and a new Camaro SS as my fun car.
They're smoking crack if they think the general buying public would pay that much.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Friday, April 04, 2008 7:46 AM
I'm sure the Prius Plug-In won't be anywhere near this price. It's suicide and will just be a rich man's play toy to get some green cred. 35k is the max I could see this thing going for and actually selling well.
Friday, April 04, 2008 4:06 PM
I'd probably buy that.

The savings on fuel alone would offset the extra cost of the vehicle.

Friday, April 04, 2008 6:55 PM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I'd probably buy that.

easy after a few years. i spend $60 a week at 52 weeks a year. thats over 3100 a year and having it for 10 years is 31000

Friday, April 04, 2008 8:10 PM
hmmm,

48K is ok but if they drop the price 8 grand they dont make a cent on the car?

So 8,000 profit on every volt sold....

I smell Bull@!#$...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Friday, April 04, 2008 9:20 PM
Just wait till you have to replace the batteries.

Friday, April 04, 2008 9:23 PM
if i have to buy an electric car, give me the Tesla or give me death!

Friday, April 04, 2008 10:43 PM
First on the list will be some hollywood pansy like Leonardo DiCaprio or Tom Hanks. These hybrids and plug ins are an easy ticket to the "I Care" club.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Sunday, April 06, 2008 2:13 PM
sounds like a marketing ploy to spur the govt into kicking some money GM's way

Sunday, April 06, 2008 2:51 PM
666 night rider (TGM) wrote:
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I'd probably buy that.

easy after a few years. i spend $60 a week at 52 weeks a year. thats over 3100 a year and having it for 10 years is 31000

#1 You're talking about 2 VERY DIFFERENT cars. If you want a closer comparison, there's a Hybrid Lexus that stickers for about $48000 that's in the same class as the volt.
#2 Your J has technology that is at newest, 20 years old; the Volt is about 17 years newer.
#3 The Volt has more electrical power than the J does, and as much mechanical power.
#4 Volt uses more complex materials than the J's ever did. Even production models would use QuietSteel.

As far as Fuel cost: the Volt has about 150MPG to a 12 gallon tank (sustaining charge @ 60mph), You'd fuel up once a fiscal quarter. http://www.chevy-volt.net/chevrolet-volt-specs.htm

There's a reason that not everyone on earth is driving a Honda Insight.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search