new car? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new car?
Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:37 PM
Ok, so I want everyone's opinion;

My Z24 is coming up on 4 years old in a few months. I've had plenty of minor problems, and last year I got my first taste of expensive off warrenty repairs. My ABS light is on now, my engine block heater doesn't work, my strut mounts are making lots of noise again, I'm pretty sure my 2nd gear synchros are going, and I've had a number of strange issues that don't occur often enough to get checked out. I also don't know how long the clutch will last, because I do lots of heavy traffic stop and go driving. There's also the annoyances like how it takes 25kms of driving before the engine finally completely warms up, which means I have to wait a long time before the heater throws off any heat. I'm also sick of the loud squeaks and rattles.

I'm kinda want to wash my hands of this car now. I've got one more year of school left, can't really afford repairs. And if I am going to make payments on a car, why not make them on a decent car. I hadn't really planned on getting a new car for another 2 years yet. Would it be a bad idea to maybe lease something for 3 years for the same payment or maybe a little lower? Just wanna see what everyone's opinion is.

It's a Sunburst Orange 2004 Cavalier Z24 Coupe 5spd. 85000 kms. Bought it straight from the factory in june 2005. I sometimes rev it up, but not consistantly, and I don't totally beat on it. Was in a front end collision a few years back, hard enough to blow the airbags, but still nothing too major. I used to be an auto detailer, so it's been kept very very clean. Only real mods are the AEM cold air intake, and I put in a set of custom gauges.

Re: new car?
Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:49 PM
it wont be worth much. i struggled to get 6 out of my 05 base cavalier with 50k. most places where offering 4500 to 5000 and thats with a clean title as in no wrecks. you wont get much for it and leasing a vehicle isnt the best of options unless your looking to get more vehicle for less money but not own it like a bwm or lexus or infinity or acura something of that nature. but if you plan on leasing a chevy or ford or dodge its not worth it. just remember the money from the lease is lost as in if you pay 300 a month for 3 years your out at least 10 grand and having nothing to show for it. save your money for a down payment on a new or used car.
Monday, February 25, 2008 6:18 AM
Right now my car is worth a little more than I owe on it. I was thinking lease becasue the payment is much lower, and in reality, I have paid $14 000 on my car over the last 4 years, and that's about how much it's depreciated anyway. So I really wouldn't be throwing away much more money on a lease than I would on a purchase. With a lease I can get a Civic or Corolla, but with a purchase I will be stuck with another Chevy in order to keep my same payment.
Monday, February 25, 2008 7:32 AM
why would you want to lease a civic or corolla?? im not bashing the car but the purpose of leasing a car is to get more car for less money. example lease a 300 series bmw and pay 300 a month or pay 200-250 for a lease on a civic or corolla. to me thats not worth it. but do what you want to do
Monday, February 25, 2008 7:43 AM
Tyler Lemburg wrote:why would you want to lease a civic or corolla?? im not bashing the car but the purpose of leasing a car is to get more car for less money. example lease a 300 series bmw and pay 300 a month or pay 200-250 for a lease on a civic or corolla. to me thats not worth it. but do what you want to do

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/LeaseOffers/Default.aspx

not quite $300

Monday, February 25, 2008 7:55 AM
well last time i was looking thats what it was but you get what im saying right?
Monday, February 25, 2008 9:46 AM
Lease on a BMW is more in the $700-$800 a month range at least. I'm not planning on putting down $5000-6000. And I am talking Canadian prices. I can get a Civic LX for the exact same payment I pay on my car right now. It's not the best looking, but it is a much much better car than my Cav. And statistically, I shouldn't have to be at the dealership monthy for warrenty work.
Monday, February 25, 2008 9:57 AM
a lease on a bmw is 369 usd
Monday, February 25, 2008 10:11 AM
Yes it is;

with $369 first payment due at signing, $2500 down payment, $400 security deposit, $3269 cash due at signing.
Cars are more expensive in canada. Than insurance on top of that.

BMW canada: 323i sedan, $398/month on a 3 year low mileage lease with $5385 down payment. Not bad, but I don't have a down payment.

Besides, I don't want a BWM. If I was going to go any larger than a compact, it would be for the new Accord Coupe.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008 7:47 PM
I love my corolla, but I wish I'd leased in some ways. I pay $450/month for it (but we got a few goodies added), A C package CE or the S are both nice cars. I wish my wife could drive stick so I could've got the 5 spd S they had. Even with a slush box, they're fun to drive, and plus, they aren't a Honda (remember: Not Honda == good).

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:03 PM
Rock a Yaris on lease.

Auto, Air, Power options ... $280/mo taxes in.

Even a base Malibu, G6, Aura, VW Rabbit, City Golf or Jetta, Mazda 3, Corolla, or Civic LX is above $300 month.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:00 AM
^^^ QFT.

Yaris/Fit/Versa.. even a Mazda 3.

Or... you could do the financially prudent thing and not pay out the depreciation, buy a solid used car.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:40 PM
I won't drive an automatic, so that limits my choices to compacts for the most part. I worked for an import autogroup for years, so I am very familiar with Toyota's and Hondas. I just don't care for the Yaris, and I think the Fit and especially the Versa are too ugly. I'd love a Mazda3 if I never had to look at it, but unfortunately that's not an option, I think it just looks misproportioned, akward, and flat out ugly. The new Impreza 5door is exactly what I want, with the sport package it has everything I want (except a sunroof which isn't available for some reason), but it is too far out of my price range.

The GM dealership just invited me to some special sale event with good rates and offers on 08s, so I might go take a look at that, because I'm pretty sure I could get a G5 GT for cheap, if I decide to go the "Bad car, but Pretty with lots of features" route.

Astra's are probably out of my price range, but I'll take a look.

If I do decide to look for a new car, then I'll explore ALL my options (I'm in no big rush), but it most likely will come down to Civic LX.
Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:10 PM
Base Yaris with A/C.

That's about the only thing in your price range.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:16 PM
get a used car, a one or two year old one that still has a warranty, you can still get a good interest rate on a loan, and cost about 3/4 the price of a new one.

and if you lease, do NOT get a lease where you have to put money down, you might as well just throw it away.

Friday, February 29, 2008 10:03 AM
Like I said. Base Yaris with A/C and 5-speed.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Friday, February 29, 2008 10:37 AM
Brown Eye wrote:
and if you lease, do NOT get a lease where you have to put money down, you might as well just throw it away.

That doesnt make any sense.

When you lease a vehicle you have a certain financial obligation ... whether it be 7K or 25K ... you owe said dollos over a certain period of time.

For argument sake lets to 10K in dollos at a 0% lease rate (unheard of) over a 36/mo term with 0 down. That equals $277/mo in payments. Maybe you want the vehicle for 48 months ... $208/mo in payments. Or Fu<k it, you want the car for 24 months ... $416/mo in payments.

Regardless of the term, you owe these dicks 10K.

Where do down payments come in? This is cash you put up towards the 10K before calculating monthly payments ... lets say we throw up 2K on that 36 month lease. Now it is 8000 / 36 ... which comes to $222/mo in payments. The more you add, the lower your monthly payment becomes. Youre not losing any money, nor are you throwing it away ... it is going towards the payment of that 10K obligation that you have.

Some dealerships, like Benzo for example, offer 100% down leases. Walk in with 25K, walk out with an E class for 3 years with no further payments.

As for the PROS and CONS of leasing ... entirely dependent on the person, their financial situation, and their preferences. Out of context, neither is better or worse than the other.

Friday, February 29, 2008 10:42 AM
firemachine69 wrote:Base Yaris with A/C.

Screw the Auto.

Bare bones no options something like $170 a month ...

Ultimate gas miser.

Friday, February 29, 2008 12:23 PM
firemachine69 wrote:Base Yaris with A/C.

I never gave my price range, so how could you know that?

Any compact car can be in my price range. I've been to a few dealers. Civic, Corolla, Cobalt, G5, Mazda3, CityGolf are all well within my range.

In my case I want a new car with warrenty for a lower payment, that's why I was looking at a lease. 3 years down the road I will be out of school, working making good money, and I'll be in a much better position to spend a little more and finance.
Friday, February 29, 2008 12:35 PM
a good rule of thumb is dont make serious decisions based on money that you dont have. if you get a decent sized car payment and something goes wrong with school and you have to push graduation back a year... or if you arent able to fall right into a job immediately after graduating, then you wont be making that "good money" that you planned on and you=screwed.

planning ahead is great... but what we plan to happen doesnt always work out that way. so plan for that as well

Friday, February 29, 2008 12:45 PM
Yeah, I understand that. That's why I am still unsure about what to do. My car needs more repairs again, and I don't see any end to that. I was thinking of getting a new car, with the same size payments I make now, or less.

I've actually already been guarenteed a job when I graduate, and since my profession is in such crazy high demand, and I am at the top of my class with lots of work experience, getting a job is not a problem. I also make good money in my summers.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search