Younger sister for the old GTP? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Younger sister for the old GTP?
Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:28 AM
The GF and I have been looking to get her something to replace the old GTP for some time now, with no luck. She has now decided that she wants to keep it, as it still runs great, cost us only upkeep and is very cheap to insure.

However, while looking at all these cars, it has made me re-think my choice in vehicles. While I absolutely love my Sierra, it is a pig on gas. Although, I am not complaining, because that would be silly, I mean, I knew what a v8 truck was when I bought it. It has got me thinking. Do I really need to spend that kind of my on gas 12 months of the year, when I only have to have 4wd for 3-4 months tops?

Why not buy a nice car that is cheap on gas, and some old beater 4x4 for the winter, or just keep the Sierra for the winter time. I don't know if I like the idea of keeping the Sierra for only 4 months of driving though. What do you think about that?

Anyhow, in my travels, every car we looked at got the same response. They may be nice, but just didn't do it for us like the old GTP does. Maybe we are just a Grand Prix couple, who knows.

Anyhow, this GTP caught my eye, and it is at a dealership where a good friend of my dad's works, so I got to talking about it with him, we agreed on a cash price of $15,000 or a trade for the Sierra with me paying the tax difference.

Here is a pic and some info.

VIN: 2G2WR524941108774
Make: Pontiac
Model:
Year: 2004
Price: $16,500.00

Stock Number: 95391 08175A
Interior Colour: Pewter
Exterior Colour: Silver
Transmission: Automatic
Engine: 6 Cylinders
Vehicle Type: Car
Body Style: 4 Doors
Drive Train: Front Wheel Drive
Odometer: 55000 Km
Options:

* 125 Amp Generator
* 17" X 6.5 Aluminum Wheel
* Air Conditioning
* Anti-lock Brake System
* Chrome Finish Wheels
* Electric Remote Osrv Mirrors
* Firm Ride & Handling Suspension
* Front Buckets W/floor Console Driver & Pass Manual Recliner And Cloth Trim
* Heated Front Seats
* Heater - Engine Block
* Leather Seating Surfaces * Heated Front Seats
* Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
* Monsoon Audio System
* Onstar Communication System
* Power Sliding Glass Sunroof Deletes Roof Console
* Premium Audio Package * In Dash 6 Cd Changer * Monsoon Audio System
* Rear Window Antenna
* Restraint System - Air Bag, Driver And Passenger Side
* Tire All P225/55r17-95s
* Variable Effort Power Steering
* Very Dark Pewter

What do you guys think? Should I get the old GTP a younger sister? Or keep or older more gas hungry brother in law?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**

Re: Younger sister for the old GTP?
Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:34 AM
Also, this has the 3800 series III s/c engine. Is it true that it runs on 87 octane, unlike the series II, which takes 91 octane or better?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:46 AM
I wouldn't use regular.

Truth be told, just about any car you purchase (short of a used Aveo or other micro-compact), you'll lose more money then you're saving.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:49 AM
That being true, just by crunching the numbers roughly, I will save $3000-$4000 in gas per year, every year I drive something other thenthe Sierra for 8 months. That should quickly make up what I lose in the trade.

Thanks for the info on the the octane, it didn't sound right to me when I read it.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:52 AM
A bonaville. nice cars but they are no gran prix.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:34 AM
What year Sierra?

2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- Barely legal tint.
Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:44 AM

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:52 AM
Ditch the Sierra. Buy an older beater for winter and hauling @!#$. And buy another Grand Prix.

2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- Barely legal tint.
Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:57 AM
Or just get a new car with AWD and be done with dual vehicles.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:04 AM
A car with AWD can't do my driveway before it is plowed, not enough ground clearance.

Or that would be the #1 option.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:08 AM
yea that way you can throw your drywall in the back of your GTP.lol

take one for a couple of test drives, I was really looking in to one, till I rode in the back on a test drive. GM didn't exactly out do it self on the seats. frankly I like the older style better.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:08 AM
Emor8t wrote:Or just get a new car with AWD and be done with dual vehicles.

Fail.

AWD /= 4WD

2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- Barely legal tint.
Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:10 AM
Gutty96 wrote:A car with AWD can't do my driveway before it is plowed, not enough ground clearance.

Funny you should say that. My next door neighbor has a Fullsize superduty ford 4x4, 4x4 Wrangler, and a 4x4 Trailblazer. The other day we got an ice storm on top of some already laid snow. As he was shoveling his driveway so he could get those trucks up it (we all have steep hill driveways) he just about dropped his jaw as the Speed6 climbed up it no problem. I even stopped half way up and then started right back up. But then again, a clearance issue would depend upon how much snow you get. This was about 3" or so, although the Mazda sits pretty high.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:11 AM
The Zppr wrote:yea that way you can throw your drywall in the back of your GTP.lol

take one for a couple of test drives, I was really looking in to one, till I rode in the back on a test drive. GM didn't exactly out do it self on the seats. frankly I like the older style better.

I will still have a truck for things like that and for the 4 months of winter.

I didn't have any issues with the seats when I drove the newer GTP.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:14 AM
Emor8t wrote:
Gutty96 wrote:A car with AWD can't do my driveway before it is plowed, not enough ground clearance.

Funny you should say that. My next door neighbor has a Fullsize superduty ford 4x4, 4x4 Wrangler, and a 4x4 Trailblazer. The other day we got an ice storm on top of some already laid snow. As he was shoveling his driveway so he could get those trucks up it (we all have steep hill driveways) he just about dropped his jaw as the Speed6 climbed up it no problem. I even stopped half way up and then started right back up. But then again, a clearance issue would depend upon how much snow you get. This was about 3" or so, although the Mazda sits pretty high.

It is not uncommon for 2-3 foot drifts in my driveway. A car is not breaking though that. Sometimes, even the Sierra won't.

I am still tossing around the idea of just buying another car, and keeping the Sierra. But, that is a lot of truck for a 4 month per year beater.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:15 AM
firemachine69 wrote:
Emor8t wrote:Or just get a new car with AWD and be done with dual vehicles.

Fail.

AWD /= 4WD

Yea... guess I was wrong

Emor8t wrote:

Saturday, February 23, 2008 10:44 AM
Any comments on if $15,000 cash is a good price? Or about if a straight up trade for the 02 Sierra is a decent deal?

General comments on the 04 GTP, or the 3800 series III s/c engine?

Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:46 PM
Sounds like a decent price. I would go for a newer Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3l v8 though.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:29 PM
zsquee24 wrote:Sounds like a decent price. I would go for a newer Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3l v8 though.

And that would defeat the whole purpose of trading the truck with the 5.3L V8 for the car with a V6...methinks ye should read the whole post....

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:53 PM
how many km on the truck, you should be able to get more for it imo.

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:46 PM
Rock a Trans Am.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:06 PM
JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE wrote:Rock a Trans Am.

John's standard answer for all that's wrong with the world

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:15 PM
Kenny Rogers, Trans Am's, and Bubbly Blonde Asian Sluts ...

You can't go wrong.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:17 PM
Hell yeah get the new GTP. put a smaller pulley on it and push more boost lol. only thing is . keep the bead on them wheels clean so that the chrome dont start peeling off.. cuz those wheels cost alot. but @!#$ yeah dude get it.
Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:33 AM
I am not interested in modding the new GTP, 260hp is enough for me. Thanks for the tip on the rims, if I get the car I will keep that in mind.

So, if I do go for this, should I trade the Sierra for it, and get something else for, or just keep the Sierra for my winter truck?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search