oldsmobile intrigue - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
oldsmobile intrigue
Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:54 PM
so i found a car that i really like and for the price you cant beat it. its an 2000 oldsmobile intrigue. it is a gx i believe. power seat power mirrors bose speaker system w/ cd and cassette. its got 164k my mechanic is looking at it tom to let me know if everything is good to go. it drives great real quite and shifts very smooth. they were asking 3500 cash talks though as i offered them 2500 cash if my mechanic tells me there is nothing major wrong or any sizeable repairs needed.

i just wanted to know everyones thoughts on the intrigues as well as the motor and tranny and good or bad things about them. the motor was really peppy got up and going very well with out very much throttle

thanks and i will post pics if my mechanic says its all good.

Re: oldsmobile intrigue
Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:55 PM
depends on your plans for it. thats really not a bad price. iirc, it has a twin cam v6 in it right? it's a fairly peppy car...but of course having so many miles on it, it may have a few problems. fix it up real nice and you got yourself a decent daily driver imo.

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Friday, February 22, 2008 6:57 AM
I think it had the 3.5Ldohc v6 by then, 3.8v6 were available for a couple of years. The 3.5L is commonly referred to as a baby northstar since it is heavily based off the northstar engines. I've never really heard any bad things about them and you really can't beat the price.

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:31 AM
ya the price is really good. its the twin cam v6 with 215hp and 230 something tq. I guess the engine is referred to as the short-star. it was also used in the aurora's to from what i have found out. but ya hopefully my mechanic says its good to go and its mine lol. there are little things that need to be fixed but nothing major that i can tell. like 2 of the center caps on the rims are missing and a couple small dents but for 2500 cant beat it just wanted others opinions
Friday, February 22, 2008 1:46 PM
damnit . i had the shop call me and tell me it has a blown headgasket and also a seal in the back of the engine needs to be replaced. 1000-1200 for the head gasket and 300 rear seal. oh well better than not taking it anywhere and driving it around and having it blow up on me and being out 2500 for the car and another 1500 for repair bills.

so lesson to everyone is when buying a used car always have it checked before buying it. 40 dollars to have them look at it is well worth it in my opinion
Friday, February 22, 2008 2:14 PM
ok they just took in on trade a 2004 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4wd with 100k they are asking 6ish. she didnt say an exact figure just around 6grand

thoughts on this? thanks
Friday, February 22, 2008 6:06 PM
I doubt it has a bad headgasket, probably just leaky cam covers. The other leak is probably the oil pan gasket. I used to have to work on those cars a lot and those are 2 of the most common and misdiagnosed problems.

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:02 PM
ya the head gasket is blown there was a lot of c02 in the engine and coolant was coming out the exhaust.
Friday, February 22, 2008 9:12 PM
Split-block design, prone to leaks. When doing heads, the head bolt holes almost always need to be re-done, that gets pricey. Nice engine, but costly to repair.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search