2004 Focus..How reliable??? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2004 Focus..How reliable???
Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:16 AM
Hi guys...

I'm looking to buy another car for me and g/f. I saw at a dealer down here a 2004 Ford Focus ZX-5 (that's the 5 door model). It looks great, silver, no scratches, 16" wheels. Interior is like new, was owned by 55 years + people. Never winter driven.

It's a really nice car that I would like to do exterior and interior mods. I know there is a big aftermarket for the Focus. My only concern is the reliability. I've heard only bad stories about them and everybody is telling me NOT to buy a Focus.

Any input would be appreciated.

Re: 2004 Focus..How reliable???
Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:26 AM
my friends grandma has one and shes ran it for 150k no problems. it wasnt the 5 door but it was the 4 door version. ive never met anyone that has had real problems with them. kid from school has one thats turboed. running 10 psi with stock everything else but exhaust and he hasnt had any problems. idk i havent heard anything bad about them
edit: the turboed is the 3 door

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:26 AM

Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:59 AM
My aunt has a @!#$us, its a pile of cow manure. It has a variety of problems. One in particular keeps popping up with the fuel computer. Most dealers won't touch it, even though it is still under warranty. Prior to that car she had a Saturn SL2, which she drove for probably 15 years with no problems, till someone ran a stop sign and put an end to it. She very much regrets her purchase.

Also, I rented a @!#$us a few years back, and it was a complete turd. Even the Lancer that I rented once was a better car - they were both just about as slow, but the Ford was the most annoying car I've ever driven. Everything about it bothered me. I wanted to kill someone every time I heard the seatbelt warning beep. Could you find a more annoying sound? Why can't car companies learn from BMW?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:00 AM
my g/f has an 2001 no problems there was a recall about a wire on an 02 sensor that had to be fixed be other than that no problems. it drives great. it only has 31,000 miles she never really drives it really. but she doesnt complain except for having to crawl in the back to put our 5 month old son in the back. she has a 2 door hatch. but overall its been a great car. we have owned it for going on 5 years.
Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:04 AM
Thanks for the input guys! Keep them coming!

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:41 AM
I'm going to agree with Dave on this one. My g/f at the time bought a 2005 Focus ZX-5 around the same time I just bought my 2005 Cavalier, and she thought it would be funny to make fun of me for buying a cavalier. Yet . . . My car has had one major warranty repair since I bought it. Her Focus has been in for suspension issues, controls arms, engine lights, stall outs, etc. She had that car in for warranty repairs atleast 10 times in a year, lol. I thought it was hilarious since she made fun of me for my car, lol. Yea, those cars are piles of crap, lol.
Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:51 AM
it's 50/50 for me. I know a lot of people that have had issues (mulitpule) with their Focus.
And I know a lot of people that have had eith one thing go wrong or nothing at all. And of the people that had multipule problems, more than half of them never had a problem again after taking it to the dealer under warranty. I hate to say it...but it's as if the previuos owner worked out all the bugs for the next owner. Kinda crappy but true.

I think Dave may be on to something though. Everyone that I know that has owned a Saturn (SL's & SC's, not Ions or LS-Series) has NEVER had a problem with it. And they are pretty similar in price to the Focus in the used car market.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:04 AM
I have herd good and bad, some are real reliable and some have had problems

nice handling and riding car though, id say get it if it looks like it was well maintained.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:05 AM
I don't really care what kinda car I'll buy. I need something reliable and not too high priced.

So almost everybody that responded don't really the Focus....So how about the newer Saturns like the Ion??? I have a 10 000$ budget to spend on a car. Give me your ideas!

Thanks!

Monday, December 31, 2007 5:24 AM
See if you can get ALL maintence records on the car before you buy it. My mom had one, and during the first 3 or 4 years having the car (she got either a 2000 or a 2001), it was in the shop almost 15 times for various things, including control arm issues, fuel issues, rear bumper recall, and who knows what else. The car was nothing but trouble. I dont know how much it was improved over the next few years, so my judgement is only half there.

I also just generally aviod Ford like the plague, since every time we have had one, it was just one thing after another. Look around for maybe a Saturn SC2, or even another J-Body (I have even seen the '03s for less then $10k). A Civic would also be decent (i know.... Honda = devil here), or a somewhat older Accord. Also, Toyota makes a damn good car too.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Monday, December 31, 2007 6:28 AM
my bro has one. i think a 2000.

bought it for 500$. his g/fs brother threw a rod through the block(and starter). He had about 100k at the time. I dont know for sure to blame the car for that one, he is a idiot.

my bro bought a used motor with 3k miles on it and swapped it in.

he has had his minor issues, but nothing out of the ordinary.

i like the car.

good luck.

Monday, December 31, 2007 8:35 AM
should be reliable enough w/ a 04 model

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.523@111.30
Monday, December 31, 2007 9:04 AM
Had an 03 4 dr model come into the shop with a weird missfire. Changed plugs, wires, tried a new coil, still no change. Looked up TSB's on the shop computer, there was one for replace cylinder head with Ford part such and such. Got the head, put it on and was fixed. Obviously this is somewhat a common problem.
Monday, December 31, 2007 9:24 AM
Jookycola wrote:it's 50/50 for me. I know a lot of people that have had issues (mulitpule) with their Focus.
And I know a lot of people that have had eith one thing go wrong or nothing at all. And of the people that had multipule problems, more than half of them never had a problem again after taking it to the dealer under warranty. I hate to say it...but it's as if the previuos owner worked out all the bugs for the next owner. Kinda crappy but true.

I think Dave may be on to something though. Everyone that I know that has owned a Saturn (SL's & SC's, not Ions or LS-Series) has NEVER had a problem with it. And they are pretty similar in price to the Focus in the used car market.

X2 those things are rediculous. They last forever and the engine never quit....

I know about 6 people that own them. 1 out of those 6 hasnt had any major problems...the rest are a nightmare...

Monday, December 31, 2007 2:26 PM
Its a Ford Cavalier, seriously.......

My mom has one, not a bad driving car, when it wants to be.
Monday, December 31, 2007 5:32 PM
a friend of mine has a focus that she is currently trying to sell its a 04 saleen focus very nice i drove it around and like it alot. but when she asked me to buy it off from her i laughed and said what sell my audi for a focus yea right. but its a nice car just thought id throw that out there. i saw that you were interested so yea.

2002 cavy with 5spd ecotec(RIP)
1991 eagle talon tsi awd 5spd(sold)
1999 audi a4 1.8l turbo 5spd
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/779567
Monday, December 31, 2007 6:29 PM
Saleen and Focus just sounds so wrong together..

Are you sure it wasn't an SVT Focus?

1983 Camaro Z28
Monday, December 31, 2007 6:49 PM
ling427ttvette wrote:Saleen and Focus just sounds so wrong together..

Are you sure it wasn't an SVT Focus?

There are a few different models. SVT, ST, Saleen and Roush. Several different motors. I have an 04 2.3L. Very reliable for me. Never any problems other than when a little bit of water was sucked up by the intake.(my fault). Lots of aftermarket for them. Any more questions you can pm me. BTW i just posted pics take a look down a couple threads.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search