Help me decide on what car to purchase. - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help me decide on what car to purchase.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:25 AM
Here it goes. I recently got a new job within the same company I"ve been with for over 5 yrs. and got a 3.50 hr raise. Now I'm currently driving my 86 caprice coupe, and got a decent offer for it considering age and condition. I also have the cav in the garage for the winter, and once i'm done it will be my DD once again. Now I'm stuck between 2 different cars. My buddies are mainly mustang guys and I got to drive my buddies 97 cobra for the better part of saturday, so I'm considering getting a cobra 97-02 depending on price and getting an 2004 GTO which I have driven and like alot.

ON one hand I have access to many 2nd hand parts that can be bought dirt cheap if i got a cobra, but I really love the styling and power or the gto as well. I'm joining the gto forums and the corral to read up a bit more on the cars but what would you do in my situation, and why?

thanks

Re: Help me decide on what car to purchase.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 6:19 AM
I'd go for the GTO, simply because of styling, and there's less of them around.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 6:27 AM
FReQ Z wrote:I'd go for the GTO, simply because of styling, and there's less of them around.

plus its got the ls2 so you can see some great numbers with some modding

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:23 AM
ok, I don't like the styling of the goat personally. but it would be far cheaper to mod.

the cobra you are looking into has the 4 cam 4.6. the can make retarted power with boost but are super expensive when compared to the lsx motors. plus the 4 cam motor has a seriouse torq deficiency when compared to the lswhatever is in there.

that being said, the mustang is lighter, however the goat has a 6 speed and both have irs.

if you are talking about getting a 03-04 cobra though, those are ac tually heavier than goats. those ones have incredible bolt on power potential. but for what they are they have a habit of getting outran but much cheaper lower level cars just becouse of thier weight and the fact that most mustang owners treat the irs like its a solid axle and end up with alot of wheel hop.

if those two cars you said were the last cars in the world, I would take the goat and see if I could do something about its bland nose styling. just my opinon though

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
Those so naive, so hard headed, so narcissistic, that think that buy their own efforts can single handedly change the world, are always the ones that do.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:50 AM
dedfinitely the GTO. Far superior build quality, and much easier to upgrade. And, my cavalier is faster than my buddies 97 Cobra with 4:10's, full exhaust, headers, shifter, fully upgraded suspension, ect. A LS2 (05-06) would walk me a any day of the week, stock.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:06 AM
LS2.....come on! Come on!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:43 AM
2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:54 AM
i see your point about having access to all the cobra parts, but imo, LS2 ftmfw!!

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:04 PM
I'm not lookin for a camaro granted they are nice and i do like them I've wanted a gto since they were rumored to have been coming out.

I want an 04 w/ls1 the 05/06's cost a little more and they have drive by wire and I dont like that one bit......i'd feel better knowing that there is an actual cable connecting my foot to the tb.

nutcase- I got a buddy w/ a built terminator and it is sick as all hell, they scoot regardless the bolt on power potential is nice but if i even considered a terminator it would be 2.8KB "H" model all the way.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:56 PM
Styling of the GTO? What freaking styling? O you mean the 2 door Dodge Stratus look everyone is dying for! Terminator's look mean as hell, even people who aren't car enthusiasts can tell the difference.

Terminators get out ran by lower level cars because of their weight? What lower level car runs mid to high 12's from factory? Nevermind the retarded bolton potential. I doubt that wizard is faster than a 97 Cobra with just a GM SC on a stock block ECO. That or it's not a Cobra.

You Mustang haters kill me. The GTO has 100x the interior of any Mustang, and the LS1/LS2 is far better than 4.6 any day of the week. But you can't stuff nearly the same amount of tire under them as a Mustang. And GTO's just don't look as intimidating as the Cobra. They both have wheel hop, but at least you can easily swap to a solid/beef up the IRS on a Cobra that much easier.

Silly LSx nutswingers.

O noes!
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:00 PM
Smokey wrote:Styling of the GTO? What freaking styling? O you mean the 2 door Dodge Stratus look everyone is dying for! Terminator's look mean as hell, even people who aren't car enthusiasts can tell the difference.

Terminators get out ran by lower level cars because of their weight? What lower level car runs mid to high 12's from factory? Nevermind the retarded bolton potential. I doubt that wizard is faster than a 97 Cobra with just a GM SC on a stock block ECO. That or it's not a Cobra.

You Mustang haters kill me. The GTO has 100x the interior of any Mustang, and the LS1/LS2 is far better than 4.6 any day of the week. But you can't stuff nearly the same amount of tire under them as a Mustang. And GTO's just don't look as intimidating as the Cobra. They both have wheel hop, but at least you can easily swap to a solid/beef up the IRS on a Cobra that much easier.

Silly LSx nutswingers.

Haha^ yes smokey I always wanted a rwd stratus lol never thought of it that way. Terminators do kick ass, but they are a little out of my price range. As for wheel hop my friend kevin doesnt have wheel hop issues on his 03 they simply spin all the fukn time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search