buying USED cars from the US, cost vs. effort - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
buying USED cars from the US, cost vs. effort
Monday, October 08, 2007 7:59 AM
I know it can be a PITA to buy a new car from the US, and import it to Canada, but what about doing so with a used car.

For example, if the GF and sell the house in the country, and move into town, I will no longer need the Sierra anymore, and would love to buy a 2004-05 Cadillac CTS. I have always wanted a Caddy.

Around here, a nice 04-05 CTS with the sports luxury pkg, would be like $21,000-26,000 depending on mileage.

What would one cost in the Buffalo/New York area? And what hoops would I have to jump through to get one back to Canada? Would the money saved justify the effort I would have to put into it?

Lets discuss this a little, as there could be a lot of money here to be saved for us Canuks.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**

Re: buying USED cars from the US, cost vs. effort
Monday, October 08, 2007 9:32 AM
It's not hard, if the dealer is close enough to the border they'll send a guy up TO the border to deliver the car and you can pick it up there. So it's no biggie.

a 2004-05 Cadillac CTS runs about 16,000$ to 26,000$ depending on mileage and condition. So there ARE deals. But it's a popular car so it sells high, even in the states.

Two websites you'll wanna visit are L. Hansen's Car Shipping and How to import a car into Canada by Transport Canada.

Good luck!
Monday, October 08, 2007 1:38 PM
Thanks, I will check those out. Like I say, this is not something I am doing right away, still don't even know if I want to sell my house, and if I don't, well a CTS won't get anywhere near it in the winter.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Monday, October 08, 2007 5:46 PM
Just be sure to shop around and check with RIV. Those bastards aren't budging an inch on the GTO's, EVO's (Mitsubishi was, displeased that they couldn't get the EVO into the country on the original design) nor the tC's... they had to get their arms twisted to let the Xa/Xb's in, and Bb's.

Monday, October 08, 2007 7:05 PM
Just go here,

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459523

Read the thread, follow the links.

Ive imported 3 vehicles so far, one being my LS1 TA from Texas almost 3yrs ago.

There is a lot of money to be saved.

Monday, October 08, 2007 8:29 PM
if you get a cts

GET A WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

true story

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:43 AM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Just be sure to shop around and check with RIV. Those bastards aren't budging an inch on the GTO's, EVO's (Mitsubishi was, displeased that they couldn't get the EVO into the country on the original design) nor the tC's... they had to get their arms twisted to let the Xa/Xb's in, and Bb's.

I saw a TC for sale at a used car dealership here in Sudbury this morning, had a SOLD tag hanging from the rearview mirror.

I was suprised to see it as well since i didnt think they were able to be sold here.

Maybe he found some loop-hole?

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 1:55 PM
Whoever bought it is gonna get a f**ker of a surprise when they go to plate it. tC's can be bought and sold here, no problem.. BUT you can't legally license it in Canada: unless you're a Diplomat.

I've seen GTO's from Buffalo sold in Toronto... Same thing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search