The time has finaly come!! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The time has finaly come!!
Thursday, October 04, 2007 4:45 PM
So I have been trying to find the right car for a while... There were my requirements:
1. RWD
2. Manual tranny
3. V8
4. Power windows

And what I ended up stumbling on was a beautiful 1997 Mustang GT Convertable with 78k on the body and 1500miles on the freshly built up 302stroker(4.6 based) that puts down 537 to the wheels all motor and over 600 with the N2O

Now, I wont be filling the N2O until I decide to hit the track this coming summer. 537 is MORE than enough power for me on the street.
A few cam phone pics here for now:

that is all for now.

OH, quick Edit: If you are a brand loyal fanboy that thinks that this brand is better or worse than that brand, grow the fuk up and gtfo of my thread. I KNOW i bought a Ford, and I don't have any regrets about it. Get over it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 04, 2007 4:50 PM

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Re: The time has finaly come!!
Thursday, October 04, 2007 4:48 PM
not a huge fan of that body style
but a huge fan of the power and the black on black
nice pickup

Thursday, October 04, 2007 4:51 PM
haha thanks. yeah. I personaly never thought there was a GOOD LOOKING mustang after the 70s, and it would have taken a very specialy done mustang to get me to buy one, and this one was done right. the power, all the suspension and stiffening, the black on black with the black top realy did it for me. oh and the price

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Thursday, October 04, 2007 4:53 PM
so are you gonna come down to pa and gimme a ride in it?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, October 04, 2007 4:59 PM
hmm.... 500+ hp and currently running 4.10s (going to swap in some 3.73s thought) gas mileage isn't exactly it's strong point. I just put 40 bucks worth of 93 octane in it, and pray to god that lasts me till monday lol

Thursday, October 04, 2007 7:03 PM
I'm not a big mustang fan. Not because they're a ford. The body style is ok i've just never really liked the interrior much. Plus the way it felt when sitting in it and driving just wasn't for me.

Black on black is dead sexy though. I don't think there is a better combo than black on black. Not to mention the power is really nice, haha. Good pick up all in all.

Thursday, October 04, 2007 8:43 PM
drop top = gooooood choice.

youre gonna love it

Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:15 PM
Yeah, I never liked the look of a vert... .and to this day, i would rather have a coup. But the weather we had today changed my mind real quick.
I was also real worried about a car with that kind of power and no roof... but he has welded in subframe connectors, some other subframe support in the front too, 3 point front strut tower brace, lots of suspension work as well. and it is getting an 8 point cage for christmas

Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:24 PM
Hows the position of that shifter? It always looked too far forwards in mustangs...

I like it, just CLEAN it!... and make that trunk look presentable

nice
Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:30 PM
Very nice,3.73FTW and is that a 2 stage setup?

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:30 PM
Fords are ghey. You're ghey.

I'm so frickin excited you have this car.

Your fight begins tonight.

Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:39 PM
Whoa. Awesome pick up.

Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:44 PM
Thanks Lex, You are beyond dirty, so your opinion of me is moot

ANYWHO... thanks for all the comments and what not. The n2o system I still need to ask the guy about all the details. Like I stated previously, it will NOT get a fill unless I take it to the track next summer. I might unhook it all and sell it, who knows.

Now, I take tomorrow to fine tune a few things, work out some kinks that I knew the car had going in(with the deal i got on this thing, the kinks are beyond worth working out), and then test drive it again. if all is well, I vacuum out the crap that i got in it from where it was parked for a bit, drive it all weekend and enjoy it. and all the cleaning and whatnot will come next month when i get back from another work trip. this weekend is all about getting it on the road and enjoying it.

EDIT: also, Matt, I LOVE the shifter location and angle. I dunno if the Steeda Tri-Ax puts the knob in a different position or angle than stock, but the location in the console is NOT an issue. It is comfortable, and the Steeda Tri-Ax that is in there shifts SOO amazingly. Smooth is the opposite of what I would call it, but I promise it feels 10x better than any "smooth shifting" stick ever would

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:49 PM

Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:51 PM
ONE MORE THING.

Everyone keep in mind this was a very seldomly driven weekend car that hit the track once in a while. The trunk is all function, the car itself was all function. The hood and the wheels are about the onyl appearance minded pieces, and if you consider the wheels are wider than stock, and the hood lighter than stock, with more clearance underneith... well those were function built too lol. So this car was never inteded to be a pretty street car to turn heads or win shows... and Im ok with that

Thursday, October 04, 2007 10:15 PM
Nice pickup. As many people have said before me, not a fan of the body style, but definitely liking the numbers this beast puts down. I'd be jealous, but I'd probably kill myself in it, so it's good I don't have a car that fast. Enjoy it, and surprise some people with it, it looks stock

Friday, October 05, 2007 1:18 AM
nice bro.

get some vids and some more pics.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, October 05, 2007 5:30 AM
you better put a call in to kenne bell and get that thing making some power or something lol. Congrats on the addition,. +
Friday, October 05, 2007 5:44 AM
I would like to see the dyno chart? I find 537 a little hard to believe and it still be driveable on the street, my 402 put down 465 and it is a pain in the ass in the city

Nice pick up though

Friday, October 05, 2007 7:25 AM
That's pretty nice pick up. Looks real sharp and the power has just gotta be phenomenal (coming from someone here who has yet to drive a car with over 300 horsepower).

My dad just recently picked up a '97 that we are going to rebuild, sometime in the future.

I wouldn't want to come up to you on the streets knowing you got that much power backing you, lol.
Friday, October 05, 2007 9:34 PM
hahaha yeah. its a blast to drive. my god does the thing move.
LowFire: I am going to get on the guy about the Dyno sheet and stuff. I might dyno it myself next summer, who knows. But I will find out for sure sometimes. Im not in the biggest rush, i leave monday for a month or 2 trip for work, so she is being enjoyed this weekend, not worried about

Friday, October 05, 2007 9:47 PM

Just kidding... Nice pickup. Have fun!!

Saturday, October 06, 2007 1:27 AM
500+........

on any sohc mod motor through the stock intake mani.................

I just don't see that happening even wiht super hight compression and race gas. I have worked on these things alot. do you have dyno sheets to verify this?

not to be a downer, but assuming big ported heads, big cam, stroked to 5 liter, adn 11:1 compression at least. I would say more like 400 at best at the flywheel. and that would be with a p51 intake mani and not the stocker you got on there.

but even with 400 flywheel, if you plan on going to the track, your ass is going to need a 4point cage anyways

right now Iam trying to enlarge your engine pic to figure out ifthis motor has the P.I. head/intake conversion. if that isa non P.I. setup, you can have all the porting in the world done to those heads the intake mani and intake mani-head prot shape will slow you down BIG.

not trying to be to much of a downer. but I have owned 3 mustangs and worked with other people on modding many more. I have never heard of ANY sohc N/A mod motor putting down 537 to the wheels or anywhere remotely close to that. the only ones I have seen that were close to that were turbo, P.I. converted, and had had the P51 intake. just to give you an idea, a friend of mine that I helped him work on has a 96. he has the p.i. heads, bullitt intake mani, punched out to 289, and 15psi coming from a vortec sc(I forget the trim) and he makes 435 to the wheels on steady 12.80afr's. sorry I just have a hard time belivnig that a motor with just 13 more cubes can outrun a similar motor with 15psi by that 100hp

def get that thing dynoed. I want to see.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Those so naive, so hard headed, so narcissistic, that think that buy their own efforts can single handedly change the world, are always the ones that do.
Saturday, October 06, 2007 5:37 AM
NUTCASE . wrote:500+........

on any sohc mod motor through the stock intake mani.................

I just don't see that happening even wiht super hight compression and race gas. I have worked on these things alot. do you have dyno sheets to verify this?

not to be a downer, but assuming big ported heads, big cam, stroked to 5 liter, adn 11:1 compression at least. I would say more like 400 at best at the flywheel. and that would be with a p51 intake mani and not the stocker you got on there.

but even with 400 flywheel, if you plan on going to the track, your ass is going to need a 4point cage anyways

right now Iam trying to enlarge your engine pic to figure out ifthis motor has the P.I. head/intake conversion. if that isa non P.I. setup, you can have all the porting in the world done to those heads the intake mani and intake mani-head prot shape will slow you down BIG.

not trying to be to much of a downer. but I have owned 3 mustangs and worked with other people on modding many more. I have never heard of ANY sohc N/A mod motor putting down 537 to the wheels or anywhere remotely close to that. the only ones I have seen that were close to that were turbo, P.I. converted, and had had the P51 intake. just to give you an idea, a friend of mine that I helped him work on has a 96. he has the p.i. heads, bullitt intake mani, punched out to 289, and 15psi coming from a vortec sc(I forget the trim) and he makes 435 to the wheels on steady 12.80afr's. sorry I just have a hard time belivnig that a motor with just 13 more cubes can outrun a similar motor with 15psi by that 100hp

def get that thing dynoed. I want to see.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that, but I just wasn't entirely sure because 4.6's aren't my area so I stayed quiet. I definitely want to see dyno sheets too.

1983 Camaro Z28
Saturday, October 06, 2007 9:05 AM
Yeah, like I said, I'm going to hound him on the dyno sheets as well as all the other paperwork he was going to get me. Unfortunately I'm heading up to see my uncle in about 5 minutes, he is off to Iraq again and we are having a nice big get together before he leaves. Hopefully I can get ahold of the guy tomorrow and snag the dyno sheets and paper work on the mods and stuff. I do know it has the PI mani. it is a 5 litre stroker, ported heads, probe industries flat tops, he claims that there is not a stock piece of the engine. The suspension work is what realy threw me back... he has welded in full subframes, aftermarket k-brace, nice coilover setup in the front and full hotchkiss suspension in the rear. sway bars front and back, and he has new tubular control arms up front and solid axle in the rear.(I am pretty sure the 97s did come with IRS, so the solid rear axle would have been a conversion correct?)

at any rate, i am excited about the car, and i dont mind people shedding some light on some of these things. Im just as willing to learn as the next guy, but no work on the car from here till monday, i am taking the weekend to drive and enjoy the car, and then off on a work trip... when i get back ill start digging into it again

thanks for all the info, help, and comments guys.

Saturday, October 06, 2007 9:10 AM
oh yeah, and where is the cutoff switch for your trunk mounted battery.

I have been kicked out forthat myslef. Idunno how the tracks are by you

Those so naive, so hard headed, so narcissistic, that think that buy their own efforts can single handedly change the world, are always the ones that do.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search