Lawsuit - US/CND Automobile price differences - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Lawsuit - US/CND Automobile price differences
Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:38 PM
Sappy96 wrote:Shoot than Great Britain should sue because they pay 2x what we pay over here.

Well actually, people in Britain can't afford British cars so they buy them in Spain. That's why SEAT became such a big name lately. There's also no problem with importation of foreign bought goods like there is between Canada and the US.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:12 PM
Its all price pointed. This lawsuit is bull@!#$.

An average American worker makes less annually then a Canadian in the similar trade, in their respective dollars. Perfect example: Canada produces a lot of beer. We drink a lot of beer. So does the US. Why would it be cheaper to buy a Canadian 2-4 in Florida then in Toronto? Price POINTED. Minimal wage is less in the States, you have no nationalized healthcare.. there are many reasons for price differences. Corporate world didnt just make this @!#$ up for no reason..

And wait a sec, why would GM care? There are ONLY 35 million people in Canada. That could very well be a single state of the US. Not only that, GM has shown to have sold more new cars to New York State then ALL OF CANADA.

So, I don't understand this bull@!#$ mentality of 'I want everything at the best possible deal without sacrafice'. We have our healthcare, our standard of living that differs from America and now we want price-pointed goods that are meant for the US market? The dollar being strong is not because we did better up here, its because there were negative factors that brought the US dollar down. We haven't changed.

The Canadian dollar will come back down.. many industries depend on it. When it does, people can start bitching about the lower dollar again instead of wanting cars for thousands less then intended. I know no one really gives a @!#$ regardless, but if everyone opted for the cheapest good then say good bye to the Canadian economy.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 9:20 AM
kidduntradishunal wrote:Its all price pointed. This lawsuit is bull@!#$.

An average American worker makes less annually then a Canadian in the similar trade, in their respective dollars. Perfect example: Canada produces a lot of beer. We drink a lot of beer. So does the US. Why would it be cheaper to buy a Canadian 2-4 in Florida then in Toronto? Price POINTED. Minimal wage is less in the States, you have no nationalized healthcare.. there are many reasons for price differences. Corporate world didnt just make this @!#$ up for no reason..

And wait a sec, why would GM care? There are ONLY 35 million people in Canada. That could very well be a single state of the US. Not only that, GM has shown to have sold more new cars to New York State then ALL OF CANADA.

So, I don't understand this bull@!#$ mentality of 'I want everything at the best possible deal without sacrafice'. We have our healthcare, our standard of living that differs from America and now we want price-pointed goods that are meant for the US market? The dollar being strong is not because we did better up here, its because there were negative factors that brought the US dollar down. We haven't changed.

The Canadian dollar will come back down.. many industries depend on it. When it does, people can start bitching about the lower dollar again instead of wanting cars for thousands less then intended. I know no one really gives a @!#$ regardless, but if everyone opted for the cheapest good then say good bye to the Canadian economy.

I'm not sure there are any statistics to say that the average American is poorer that a Canadian. Considering that many of us pay 50% taxes on our income. Then we get taked another 14% on our purchases. That GM car not only costs 20-30% more, but gets taxed nuch higher aswell. Free heath care...bull@!#$. My mother was sick for ten years. The only way we got her into a decent doctor was to call in a favor. There is a two tier system, just not officially. Our so called free heath care seems to keep average people sick and well to do into the best doctors imediately.

Your best point. GM Canada does not care. They have been living fat for some time. It's about time that they are forced to be competetive. Like I said before, other manufacturers are dropping prices. GM Canada is playing the pea under the coconut game in response. Yes, the corporation did simply jack the prices. We all know that prices have nothing to do with costs and everythign to do with what the market will bare. Right now, nobody is buying new GM in Canada other than Alberta.

It's true that the US dollar has dropped, and the CDN funds are pretty much level with the rest of the world. So, capitalism commands that we be able to buy where we want. I want to buy a car at a US dealer. Why should there be any issue. Nafta, free trade, capatalism, are all good reasons. Yet GM has the balls to refuse to sell to a buyer. If only Canadian scum.

I'm not sure thee dollar will go back down. With America's obvious intent to swallow up Canada, a dollar in parody would do just fine.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:30 PM
What do the cars cost with the curency exchange rates aplied is it the same in us as dollars as it is in canadian adujusted .Besides we all know nafta was a load of @!#$ anyways whos it really benifited in the end not the us or canada. im sure it's cheaper to make things in canada but in comparison it's even cheaper in mexico so do the math

Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:33 PM

canadian dollar is worth 98 us cents
where a us dollar is worth 1.01 in canada

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:10 AM
EcotecSS wrote:Besides we all know nafta was a load of @!#$ anyways whos it really benifited in the end not the us or canada.
Please do some reading, attend some lectures, whatever it takes to find out the tragedies NAFTA has caused in Mexico (and those CAFTA will cause in C. America). NAFTA has benefited big business here and corporate farmers here, while giving everyone but the head-honchos in Mexico the shaft. I won't comment on Canada, because I have no experience with that.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:16 PM
far as i could tell it's basically encoraging companies to leave the more expensive areas of north americian and let then go else where if it's not mexico then it's asia i understand gm allready had plants in mexico but look at what was just going on with their unions they threatend there unions by telling them basically give in or we'll go elsewhere, and to add it's redistrubuting work into areas where the cost are so much lower they don't need to pay as much and im sure it's probilly helping to damage the enviroment in mexico more too since there seems to be less goverment regulation of bussniess as in the us and canada

Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:17 PM
and btw i was speaking on behave of the northen part of north america im sure nothing is ever perfect anyway but it's getting disporpotionate now adays

Friday, January 04, 2008 5:57 PM
I took in my Monte. I guess I'll have to change my sig.

I took home a used 2000 Suburban in the meantime.

I am actually still shopping with other brands.

Wish and win...1000 for both my wife and I. Whatever! I'm not motivated.

GM is so absorbed in the conquest buyer that they are forgetting that the long term loyal GM buyer is getting fed up. I never thought I would be the traiter type. With every second commercial being a GM Canada one, I find myself getting pissed every few minutes. Forget the huge marketing budget, unless I get some work out of it, and give me a better deal on a damn car. The imports are actually bettering the interest rates. Their prices aren't too different either.

The dealers are still starving.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:31 AM
I managed to find a car that overcome all my objections.

In order to get a price equal to a US price, I had to get a car that had been in the new car dealer since Nov 2006. They really wanted to get rid of it. So with GM's incentives, the dealer taking a BIG loss, and the lack of Onstar, I have a new GM car.

I have come out of my deal feeling happy and not entirely ripped off. My only real frustrations are that the XM radio free preview was already expired, and that the dealer didn't do the cleanup and PDI up to expected standards. I guess they felt that they had to pay for part of the car, so they didn't have to spend anymore cleaning the car properly.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search