Bob Lutz speaks on GM's future diesel engines - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bob Lutz speaks on GM's future diesel engines
Friday, July 13, 2007 9:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXA22Q0qXNM
All I can say is if VW and Honda can do it so can GM.

General Motors plans to put diesel engines in Cadillac and Saturn cars in the United States by 2010.
GM will show a diesel engine at the Frankfurt auto show in September on an e-flex Opel Vectra. In GM's e-flex powertrain, a traditional engine such as a diesel or gasoline engine, recharges a battery pack that provides power for an electric motor.
GM will show the same variant at the Detroit auto show in January on a Saturn, most likely the Aura sedan. GM showed off the e-flex system on the Chevrolet Volt concept car at the Detroit auto show this year.
A Diesel will go in the Vectra in 2008 and will come to the United States as a Saturn for the next generation Aura if all goes as planned.
Lutz cautioned that the diesel engine is not a panacea for upcoming stiffer corporate average fuel economy standards in which I claim .
Says Lutz: "There's a lot of hype on diesels right now. It's not going to be a 50-state solution. It's going to be minus California and minus what other states adopt California standards."
But he said GM is charging ahead with diesels and that it will be one way GM will boost fuel economy: "We're doing a bunch of them right now. We will be introducing diesel passenger cars in the U.S. We are going to have a V-6 diesel engine for passenger cars, crossovers and light trucks."
GM has at least two diesel engines under development. A 4.5-liter V-8 is due in 2010 for light-duty pickups and SUVs. The other engine is a 2.9-liter V-6 being developed with Italy's VM Motori S.p.A.. The V-6 will be launched in Europe in the 2009 Cadillac CTS, which will later appear in the United States which I post in the past.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Bob Lutz speaks on GM's future diesel engines
Saturday, July 14, 2007 9:43 AM
Just put the duramax into everything.
Saturday, July 14, 2007 10:01 AM
This is good to see. You can squeeze 45-50mpg out on the Jettas, and with biodiesel becoming more prominent, I would definitely be looking to buy one.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:29 AM
SpecialKid wrote:Just put the duramax into everything.

reminds me of pimp my ride and the duramax that got put into a 65 impala , fast enough to kill a lambo in the 1/4

and that corvette style sports car with a duramax with 0-60 under 4 seconds and 20-30mpg

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:31 AM
So, basically due to GM's laziness to meet emissions if I move from Michigan to California I have to get rid of my car?

I just heard him say, "It's going to be a sharply reduced fuel economy advantage over gasoline engines." Can someone please explain that quote.

dan

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:13 AM
means to meet the current emissions standards , the mileage of the diesel will suffer with similar #'s to a gasoline engine

he kinda sounded like he wasnt to sure on what the heck he was talking about , so he just rambled about something to make diesels sound worse

id like to hear about what the other major brands are doing for diesels , since VW and benz are the biggest into passenger car diesels here in the US , which means they would get hit as hard as GM , but some reason it sounds like to me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 16, 2007 9:14 AM

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:56 AM
^He is correct. Looks like he is trying to downplay diesel as to say the cleaner the diesel the less advantage it will be compared to a gas counterpart a, with more converters to work with, etc. as gas engines become more efficient and cleaner.
That is major .

Honda has in the works a diesel that is as clean as gas engine (ULEV standards) while still achieving 55-60mpg on a 2.2L CDTi in Europe. The diesel that will be on the next Accord which is an update of the current one has been registering 62 mpg.

VW is fine-tuning the 2.0-liter turbodiesel that will be approved for sale in all 50 states. It will have 140 hp and 235 lb-ft in production trim, the 2.0-liter engine is up 30 hp and 55 lb-ft of torque from the old 1.9-liter. Early estimates of 60 mpg on the highway too.
There is a NOx trap and a particulate filter in the exhaust system, piezoelectric injectors, common-rail injection and two-stage exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system to help meet Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions standards.

To say what Lutz said... it is . But hey at least it looks like we may be getting some diesels on cars. If GM does not have the technology they should look at partner Isuzu or try to get a partnership with the king of diesel: Peugeot.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:56 PM
my dads old neighbor had a old 70's early 80's peugeot , it took a licking and kept on running , think they got rid of the car for a benz , since she was getting to were driving a 5spd was trouble some , im guessing it had over 300k on it and was still running and it never smoked unless the motor was lugged , and briefly at start up

and if GM doesnt wanna be serious about diesel cars , then just say we do not have any intention on building and delivering them in the US

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 16, 2007 12:58 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search