Manual VS Tiptronic - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Manual VS Tiptronic
Friday, July 06, 2007 6:05 AM
The lame PRNDL type Automatic isn't even in the running for "sporty" in my book. Totally useless for a proper car in every single way. However, a lot of cars nowadays are using autos with paddle shifters and that seems interesting. Having those around will make hurt less when the true manual finally goes bye-bye anyway.

So whatcha all think? Clutch shifting or Paddle Shifting?

Re: Manual VS Tiptronic
Friday, July 06, 2007 6:44 AM
Ummm...True F1 Shifters(Paddle Shifter)...Owns a Manual...Like The Vette and a Ferarri....

A tiptronic...like in the Liconln LS....there fun, but def rather have a manual. Both have there advantages though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 06, 2007 6:46 AM

Friday, July 06, 2007 6:45 AM
Clutch... I'd rather row through 6 gears on my own than have a pseudo-automatic do the work for me... bollocks to the idea that it's faster, I like doing it

Friday, July 06, 2007 6:48 AM
Oh me to gam....for a fun car, manual all the way. However, if i was going for all out acceleration...Paddle shifters for me..

Friday, July 06, 2007 6:57 AM
Well, you're talking about 3 types of transmissions.

Manual
TipTronic
Paddle

I like manual for the driving aspect
TipTronic is just an automatic power robbing transmission that you shift up or down...if you dont shift after a certain RPM, it'll shift for you. Stupid.
Paddle, I've never driven, but from what I hear from the VW crowd that it's a quick tranny (DSG in the Jetta/Golfs). Faster if not on par with a manual, definitely faster launching.

But for my next vehicle, it'll be auto cause the misses doesnt want to drive manual.

JCO EAST
Friday, July 06, 2007 7:15 AM
Tiptronic = paddle shift, right? (IIRC Porsche uses it in pretty much every car they make now)
I think you're thinking the Manu-matic or something like a the push button auto. I could be thinking of something else.

Those aren't my cup of tea either way, but an auto is a little easier to drive in traffic.

Friday, July 06, 2007 7:23 AM
well...yes and no. It really is a paddle shifter, but if you go by what the car manufactures say...than tiptronic is the stupid slap sticks or push botton shift...the @!#$ty ones. And yes Porsche uses it....

Friday, July 06, 2007 7:36 AM
my ladys GTI has the tiptronic...its ok i guess...better then just an Auto....but not as good as a manual

Friday, July 06, 2007 8:02 AM
I thought paddle shifters required sequential trannies.. In that case they will own all just because of the sequential tranny. Even if you shift it yourself they are still way faster (look at a bike, hear them shift).

I like a stick, but then I love paddles.. Autos are for touring, not driving-driving.. You're just along for the ride with an auto.. Plus they rob power etc..

Will the Auto ever take over? No way in hell, not ever. There will always be manual trannies out there. They are less costly to build and repair, they are lighter (more efficient) and they rob less power (greenie). On top of that, they are far superior when pulling loads.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, July 06, 2007 8:46 AM
I dunno man, I think we're living in the last days of the manual in North America. Even the big rigs are all automatic now. You're right about all of that and personally I vastly prefer the conventional manual, but I seriously think that it's dead in NA. Most light trucks never come with a manual. Most cars don't either. And today's kids don't know how to clutch at all. Every single modded car I see has an auto. You see a few manuals, but they're getting rarer and rarer. CVT is going to win in the "green" car war and paddle shifters are going to be standard in sport cars. It'll be cheaper to build them that way. You just need one tranny and the paddles can be connected directly to the electronics. It's one step less on an assembly line and one less supplier. As for trucks, the clutch may survive in the work/farm truck but even then I don't see why it'd live long.

In fact, the only think I believe that will keep it alive is that manuals are still popular in most of the world, including Europe. That's what's going to save it for our lifetimes.

Friday, July 06, 2007 9:06 AM
besides just visual evidence has anyone read or have anything concrete to support this? This is the first time ive ever heard any talk about phasing out the 5/6 speeds.

Friday, July 06, 2007 9:19 AM

Im not seeing it in the near fututre. We have to realize the kind of automobiles that are going auto only....

And hell even if they go to paddle shifters...i can live with that...

Friday, July 06, 2007 9:28 AM
Quote:

paddle shifters are going to be standard in sport cars

Close. The future for "sporty" cars will be the dual clutch transmission. There's a major transmission manufacturer in the process of bringing DCT to the US market for three major OEMs. Look for them to hit mainstream around '09-10.

If you're not familiar with a DCT, picture a 6MT mated to two clutches: one controlling 1-3-5, the other controlling 2-4-6-R. When one clutch is disengaged to release the odd gear, another engages to actuate the even gear. It can be operated in either a fully manual or fully automatic mode, and requires no separate clutch pedal.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Friday, July 06, 2007 11:25 AM
jz wrote:besides just visual evidence has anyone read or have anything concrete to support this? This is the first time ive ever heard any talk about phasing out the 5/6 speeds.

Just read this article here

Most Corvettes and Mustangs are currently sold with automatics. So was the Camaro and Firebird. When the Challenger comes out try to find one with a manual. It's just the way it is. Walk down your street and count the parked manual cars. If you get out of the double digits I'd be surprised.

Friday, July 06, 2007 12:28 PM
Ah heck, even my stupid PT is a 5 speed manual and that's a car that you'd expect to be auto only.

My 68 RS was an Auto, I had one auto Talon (sold that fast), every other car I have ever owned has been manual, some new, some old.

Personally I like the sequential 6 speed in my bike.. Clutch? What clutch? Oh, that thing I use at lights.. Ya..

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, July 06, 2007 5:18 PM
From what I understand especially from watching Top Gear there are many different types of paddle shift cars.
Tiptronic I don't think is so much a type of transmission but the name Porsche decided to give their , to quote Jeremy Clarkson "flappy paddle gearbox"
Some are autos that just shift up or down with the paddles but being an auto it will up-shift even if you don't want it too and refuse to downshift if you want it too, apparently the novelty of this type of shifting wears off quickly. The shift are "mushy" and relatively slow depending on manufacturer.
Then there are the sequential manual paddle shifters thees you only see on high end sports cars and are supposed to be much quicker that you could hope to shift the standard way. They shift in hundredths of a second and on the downshift will blip the throttle for you, the computer is less invasive with thees but I think will take over in extreme situation accidentally double downshifting but I am not sure, I think most can be switched to an auto mode that the computer decides when to shift and even how fast (varying modes).
The DSG like VW/Audi was well explained above.
Nissan unless I am misunderstanding has a paddle shift CVT although I do not understand how this can work since there are no gears in a CVT.
For myself I have no intention of owning a standard auto as my primary vehicle ever. I would consider a paddle shift but I would have to drive it first. I hear people say they are too lazy to shift I don't see shifting as something that takes effort, to me it's just a funner way to drive, maybe in really bad daily stop and go traffic it gets pretty annoying but in slow moving heavy traffic it really isn't that bad.

Jabbles
Friday, July 06, 2007 7:23 PM
Chris DeNisco wrote:my ladys GTI has the tiptronic...its ok i guess...better then just an Auto....but not as good as a manual

the lady has a an 02 GTI, the tiptronic is no different then manualy shifting the trans through the gears, VW tiptronic is far from impressive...

The DSG that comes in the new GTI's is the @!#$, its 2 manual transmissions inside one case with a single dual mass flywheel and its all electronically controled. When your in 3rd gear the trans is already lined up to hit 2nd and 4th gear, when you shift it starts going into the next gear as its coming out of the current, its not like a manual where your in third and you shift out of hird and into 4th, it does it all at the same time and when you hit the paddle it does it RIGHT NOW. The shifts are near instant, I don't think you can physically shift a manual that fast.

(by the way we are seeing a decent amount of problems with the flywheels going bad, but when it works its awsome)

I love the DSG (direct shift gearbox) but for my own car I would always take manual over any type of automatic just for the sheer fun of driving.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search