This is a Saab you will all like (vid) - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
This is a Saab you will all like (vid)
Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:40 AM
850HP 9-3
I like it because it is using a genuine Opel/Saab Ecopower engine. The same basic platform that will be on the Saturn Astra.
Simply bad ass!

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: This is a Saab you will all like (vid)
Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:54 AM
crazy europeans with their huge turbos and small 4 cylinder engines.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 11:27 AM
sweet

Thursday, July 05, 2007 2:16 PM
That vid is a couple years old. Saw it when I was looking at SS. Cool though.
Thursday, July 05, 2007 5:30 PM
retarded

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Thursday, July 05, 2007 5:56 PM
nice power, but ugly car.

FU Tuning

Friday, July 06, 2007 10:01 PM
I wonder what the power curve looked like and how much PSI he is running.

Friday, July 06, 2007 11:44 PM
Wow, i've never seen that video. Pretty cool.

I can guess why the entire interior is gutted out and has only a couple aftermarket gauges....
Originally that car (sports sedan) came with a 2.0L ecotec engine. They swapped that out for a ecopower engine. They use completely different engine management systems and the engine management is run through several components in the interior of the car.

And yes, Malibu chassis + saabs structural reinforcements = Sports sedan chassis. Which is the same platform as the saturns.

Saturday, July 07, 2007 8:56 AM
^For the record, I meant same "engine platform" not "chassis platform" as the Saturn Astra.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Saturday, July 21, 2007 5:11 PM
Suck vid, but sweet note to the pipe! Can you imagine it at full-song in a tunnel? And those rev numbers... they're at a place pushrod V-8 guys fear to go in street-legal rides. This is not a suprise to me, as I've heard of a So-Cal Speed Shop Highboy 'liner with one pushin' 900hp with a turbo on The Flats. I've only one question: What fuel we're they runnin' through it? I know that the factory Ecopower w/ turbo can run on E-85, and produce better numbers out the door on it than with gasoline with less total enrichment. Man, I'd like to see what that engine can do in a RWD chassis with an automatic trans... It would kill at the strip. Or better yet, a Lenco or Liberty trans! Whoa! Hold up a minute... I just thought of a real killer. That engine + the Hot Rod Magazine/ GM Performance Parts Solstice = One REAL giant slayer. Watch out, displacement fans... 4 now equals 8+!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:37 PM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:Watch out, displacement fans... 4 now equals 8+!

Nope, F.I. 4 cyl. = N.A. 8cyl.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 7:18 PM
Uh, Big... V-8s come and can be built fuel injected. Of course, I guess (And hope...) you were thinking of engines built over 20 years ago when carburation was a common method of fuel delivery on most engines (Think: Any one I might see on average.) out of the factory because it was so cheap to apply. Alot of old schoolers that use the Texas approach to making power (Bigger is better.) tend to also prefer the carb because it was easy to tune (At least in Holley form.) and build a system for compared to a EFI system in their eyes. And it cost alot less. The same goes against any mech-inject system that ever came along. But keep in mind these kind of people at one time thought the factory electronic ignitions weren't gonna amount to the same value of capabilities and flexability that breaker-points ignition had come to hold with them... Now look how many run electronic ignitions: Almost ALL of them.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, July 21, 2007 7:35 PM
Bad @ss!! Lovin it!

Saturday, July 21, 2007 8:42 PM
That's nice and all, but the turbo doesn't actually do anything until high RPM's, seems kind of useless. I would rather have a turbo that gives me power throughout the power band, seems his turbo gives him power right before he has to shift. Looks to be more of a dyno queen to me.

1983 Camaro Z28
Sunday, July 22, 2007 8:34 AM
^^^^ I agree.. thats all it is.. Even in the Vid. an 850hp car should be INSANE. and those small ass tires would be smoke.. ... i am not impressed.. and for the record. Yes turbo 4 banger can be quick, but how relaible are they on a day to day basis.. you need crazy boost, fuel, tunning, and what not to reach those leers. as were a V8 can throw on some bolt on and go.. Yes high Hp is great but in a REAL race Torque matters... and Yes before my Vette i had a turbo Cavalier. and i know all the pains of boosting small engines..

Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:53 AM
The car looked to be a total slouch before the turbo spooled up. Wouldn't even think of breaking those tires loose, a car with a real power band on the other hand, those tires would have been shredded as soon as he put his foot down.

1983 Camaro Z28
Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:01 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:Uh, Big... V-8s come and can be built fuel injected. Of course, I guess (And hope...) you were thinking of engines built over 20 years ago when carburation was a common method of fuel delivery on most engines (Think: Any one I might see on average.) out of the factory because it was so cheap to apply. Alot of old schoolers that use the Texas approach to making power (Bigger is better.) tend to also prefer the carb because it was easy to tune (At least in Holley form.) and build a system for compared to a EFI system in their eyes. And it cost alot less. The same goes against any mech-inject system that ever came along. But keep in mind these kind of people at one time thought the factory electronic ignitions weren't gonna amount to the same value of capabilities and flexability that breaker-points ignition had come to hold with them... Now look how many run electronic ignitions: Almost ALL of them.

In his analogy, F.I. = Forced Induction instead of Fuel injected

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:24 PM
A lot of those points were valid but for the record SAAB engines always make way more torque than HP. I'm sure it has other issues that you were talking about but torque probably isn't one of them. Every tuned SAAB engine I've seen or read about (quite a few) make about 30 lb-ft more torque than horsepower. But I agree, having a tuned saab peaking at about 22psi, boosting a little engine is a pain in the ass, every little issue that would normally not be a big deal becomes a serious pain in the neck when you start running high boost.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7166/stephcar2lr0.jpg
Wasn't me! Sister wrecked it.
1997 SAAB 900 SE 5 speed, SQR stage 3, full 3" stainless exhaust.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search