Pontiac G8 prototype unveiled - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pontiac G8 prototype unveiled
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 10:33 AM

Holden revealed today the first Pontiac G8 engineering prototypes. The G8 will be available in Pontiac dealerships in the United States in early 2008. Production for G8 will begin in late 2007, with a capacity of 620 cars per day.
Holden Executive Director of Manufacturing, Rod Keane said, "The Pontiac G8 highlights GM Holden’s rear-wheel drive expertise. It shows that international borders pose no limits on the creativity and expertise demonstrated by a global team based here in Australia. General Motors is drawing on Holden’s recognised leadership in rear-wheel drive cars to be able to deliver uniquely tailored vehicles for markets in Australia, the United States, the Middle East and South Africa."
"With exports integral to GM Holden’s future business strategy, the flexibility we have here at the Elizabeth plant is central to achieving that. When full production of the Pontiac G8 gets underway we will be building cars here at Elizabeth for every continent except Antarctica."

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Pontiac G8 prototype unveiled
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 10:41 AM
look good

GM Stage 2 &&& air box modification
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 10:42 AM
ummmmm wow...

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 11:34 AM
Slightly bigger grille than before but it's not overdone. Looks beautiful.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 2:59 PM
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 3:21 PM
It is beautifull inside and out. But I don't like the taillights that much.
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 5:15 PM
Nicely done GM.

Hopefully that'll be GM's new Halo car. Serious improvement over the Bonneville.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 5:23 PM
GM needs to pull the swollen kidneys outta their asses

and loose the woodward gto hood

Thursday, July 05, 2007 8:19 AM
Jookycola wrote:Slightly bigger grille than before but it's not overdone. Looks beautiful.

Quote:

the bigger kidneys make the car look less BMW and more Pontiac

why pull away from the kidney grills? it's pontiacs front end. it's like getting rid of the poney on the front of mustangs, the twin grills on a bmw, or the 7 bars on a jeep. it's how they roll

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Thursday, July 05, 2007 8:45 AM
WORK wrote:
Jookycola wrote:Slightly bigger grille than before but it's not overdone. Looks beautiful.

Quote:

the bigger kidneys make the car look less BMW and more Pontiac

why pull away from the kidney grills? it's pontiacs front end. it's like getting rid of the poney on the front of mustangs, the twin grills on a bmw, or the 7 bars on a jeep. it's how they roll

couldnt agree more. why take away trademark styling? the grilles and the hoods are known on pontiacts. although the GTO hood, G8 hood, and Grand Am GT hoods are all slightly different in their respects, they are all similar and keep the pontiac feel. The grille on the other hand, should never change and probably never will. I like both the grille and the hood on the G8 personaly. The car looks very good, slightly different, but still all Pontiac

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:12 AM
Hopefully the look stays that way once it hits the streets. Cars tend to lose the agressive look once they come out.

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red

Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:23 AM
Looks like a caddy with pontiac badging and styling from the side on pontiacs website. Not bad though looks like it should be a fun car.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:28 AM
Wow... bout damn time GM! V8 and RWD, this thing is a beast!

Saturday, July 07, 2007 8:59 AM
Corsica Dude wrote:Wow... bout damn time GM! V8 and RWD, this thing is a beast!

umm..... Hi, GTO much? Living under a rock?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Saturday, July 07, 2007 3:49 PM
Must resist trading in the cts...

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Sunday, July 08, 2007 7:28 PM
im loving the Holden influence that GM is starting to bring to this country

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, July 08, 2007 7:52 PM
Actually, what's funny about the G8 is that it'll be a loss leader. They're making in Australia and the shipping to the US will cost a freakin' fortune. Adding thousands of dollars to the sticker price. Yet, at the same time GM can't take the tooling from Holden and build their cars in the US because of previous legal agreements. It's the same stumbling block between Ford of USA and Ford of Australia. The Australians don't want to share their technology with their Northern brothers and lose their monopoly on the RWD Falcon platform which they own and designed.

It's also sort of why Mercedes and Chrysler never really shared any modern technology apart from the 5 speed automatic trannies and a few doodads. The 300/Charger LX platform is an old E-Class platform that's been revisioned for Chrysler, but it's all old technology that Mercedes wouldn't have used anyway. Funny how mergers never really bring any real sharing of technology to simplify the whole "making cars" process.

Monday, July 09, 2007 7:26 AM
^^^
How do you figure it will be a loss leader? The may spend more to ship it but they save $1000s in UAW costs.

GM has done business w/ them since the 70s. They used many a pontiac part on their manaros for a long time.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Monday, July 09, 2007 9:31 AM
Knoxfire wrote:

It's also sort of why Mercedes and Chrysler never really shared any modern technology apart from the 5 speed automatic trannies and a few doodads. The 300/Charger LX platform is an old E-Class platform that's been revisioned for Chrysler, but it's all old technology that Mercedes wouldn't have used anyway. Funny how mergers never really bring any real sharing of technology to simplify the whole "making cars" process.

No.
The only thing Chrysler's LX-platform shares with Benz's E-class is the rear 5-link IRS and the 5-speed auto if equiped with a V8. That is it.
If you want to make that argument, use the Crossfire and first gen SLK.
If anything on that merger, Benz learned more from DCX. One of which is how to put a turbo on a gasoline engine, that never happened for Benz in the past.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, July 09, 2007 11:03 AM
meh.... with 2 fewer doors, i'd like it...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, July 09, 2007 4:23 PM
The Chevy in the background doesn't look to bad either. Caprice or Lumina?

By the way what is wrong with global idea(part) sharing anyway. We should be happy were getting stuff from overseas. Besides there using the American engines, so why can't we use Australian platforms?

Monday, July 09, 2007 4:46 PM
It's the South African Lumina. Here's the link for the SS version. . Do you think that may for tell the Impala?? I would hope so.
Monday, July 09, 2007 5:33 PM
Didn't 50 cent have his hand in this car??

dan

Monday, July 09, 2007 5:37 PM
My dad is probably going to have one of the first at dealers like the GXP solstice we had, I can't wait to see this thing in person. Great looking car, great performance, and solid build. Im counting the days. I still love the new GTO and wish my vette was built like that!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:27 PM
It is too bad it's RWD. It's a pretty damn sharp car. Completely useless, but sharp.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search