rant v8 vs four cylinder - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rant v8 vs four cylinder
Monday, July 02, 2007 5:20 PM
well first of all im not a v8 hater i love v8s and ive grown up around them, and the guys that i was arguing wit are my friends and they dont own v8s except one he owns a hemi dodge truck. on the way home from work we started talking bout wat was better turbos or superchargers, i simply stated the fact that not one had a reason for being the best its just that some are better suited for different applications like auto cross or drag racing. and then they said that superchargers are better cuz they have no lag, then i said if you match the right turbo to ur engine you wont have little to any lag at all.

Then they started tellin me that it didnt matter because v8s were the best anyways. i told them i had seen alot of four cylinders that were modded and quite frankly hauls some serious ass and beat v8s. they told me that it wasnt logical okay logical that a four cylinder could beat a v8. so we got into it and kept arguing and i jsut kept to my theory that it didnt matter four cylinder or eight any car could be made fast and its just that some people work with what they got cuz they might not be able to buy a corvette or camaro. the fastest v8 in my hometown runs 9.5s consistently and its supercharged, here in san antonio it got taken out by an almost street legal k20 swapped hatch on boost. lol then they proceeded to tell me that 9.5s were not fast and that most v8s can get to 7's even 6's like nothing. i laughed and told them its hard enough to get into the 9's without blowing @!#$ up or having some other type of problem, i told htem that suspension work on fbodys makes a pretty good difference in quarter mile times. and they told me it was bull@!#$ that suspension didnt matter.

oh then the guy with the hemi proceeded to tell me that his hemi ran 13.5s STOCK and that it would woop me. i laughed adn told him that i would beat him with or without my car being boosted cuz they laughed when i told htem my car ran a 13.5 on nine pounds of boost before i took the kit off cuz of financial problems, they said i took it off cuz my car couldnt handle it lol.

sorry for the long post but i just hate ignorant people like this i used to be like that but not i just have the mentaliy that you make do with wat you got and if you make a car that not alot of people have more power to you, better htan seeing all the hondas and camaros running around lol, its all about personal preferance an wat floats ur boat lol. i like all cars and if you put work into the right ppl notice.

wat do yall think bout this?

Re: rant v8 vs four cylinder
Monday, July 02, 2007 6:35 PM
I also hate people who think 4 cylinders cant beat 8 cylinders, fack the haters, all you have to do is laugh at every person you see at the gas pumps with a 8 cylinder.

Monday, July 02, 2007 6:46 PM
V8 FTW!!!!

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Monday, July 02, 2007 6:58 PM
Compromise, V6.
Monday, July 02, 2007 7:04 PM
its called, dont argue about things that dont matter. drive what you drive, if people dont liek it or accept it who cares.

ive gotten into arguements with people who didnt know a intake manifold from their a$$holes about cars, these people are not even worth acknowledging as human beings you could have John Force, Dale Ernhardt Jr., Jesus, and a talking monkey tell them they are f**ked in the head and know nothing about cars and they will still insist they are correct because their dads brothers cousin 42 times removed heard this from his moms uncles grandfather.

i had some doschebag guy last week at a bar tell me about his step brothers 1000cc bike with 2 bottles of n20 and his 69 camaro with 600 hp and an 800 shot of n20 and blahbitty blah blah blahihopeyoudieofaidsblah. its doesnt matter, let them live in their fantasy world of bullsht and being a waste of life.

just dont care seriously, its the best way to go.

-Borsty
Monday, July 02, 2007 7:18 PM
Borsty wrote:its called, dont argue about things that dont matter. drive what you drive, if people dont liek it or accept it who cares.

ive gotten into arguements with people who didnt know a intake manifold from their a$$holes about cars, these people are not even worth acknowledging as human beings you could have John Force, Dale Ernhardt Jr., Jesus, and a talking monkey tell them they are f**ked in the head and know nothing about cars and they will still insist they are correct because their dads brothers cousin 42 times removed heard this from his moms uncles grandfather.

i had some doschebag guy last week at a bar tell me about his step brothers 1000cc bike with 2 bottles of n20 and his 69 camaro with 600 hp and an 800 shot of n20 and blahbitty blah blah blahihopeyoudieofaidsblah. its doesnt matter, let them live in their fantasy world of bullsht and being a waste of life.

just dont care seriously, its the best way to go.

are you feeling ok>?

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Monday, July 02, 2007 7:38 PM
Drew K wrote:V8 FTW!!!!

Monday, July 02, 2007 7:39 PM
yeah i think he is i remember his posts a long time ago, they always made ppl see the light, im actually gonna take his advice, thanks man! oh and borsty i think i have one of ur old old sigs from when i first signed on here wit the blonde check and i think hteres like a distributor cap on there or something lol i saw it today going through my random photos folder haha

Monday, July 02, 2007 8:23 PM
i like my little 2.0L 4cyl.....270hp est.....

good on gas.......about 25mpg city hard driving
hwy 35mph at 70mph

GM Stage 2 &&& air box modification
Monday, July 02, 2007 10:38 PM
the fool, or the fool who argues with him...

whos the bigger fool?

Monday, July 02, 2007 11:24 PM
Well, let's forget about cylinders for a second and go back to the basics of what an engine is. A big air pump. The bigger the engine, the more air it pumps. Thus, the more power it makes. It's not THAT simple, the rate of flow of air through the engine counts for example, but in a really general way that's how it works.

So if you see it this way it becomes obvious that V8 vs L4 is a completely irrelevant argument since SIZE is what determines power and not the number of cylinders. A five liter 4 cylinder will make a ton more power than a four liter V8, and a six liter V6 will beat both of them. See what I mean? Cylinders are irrelevant..

However... it doesn't end here. There is a bit more to it than the very simple crap I've posted. Since in the real world most V8's are often more than twice the size of a four cylinder they have the advantage. Except... that they're also in cars that weigh on average 1000lbs more than the cars that have four cylinders, which often negates that advantage.

What about modification like Turbos and SC? Yes, that is the great equalizer for L4's. Put a Turbo on a 2.0 four and it'll go as fast as a V8 three times it's size since what the Turbo and SC does is compress the air, making it denser and more explosive thus making more power. It's the same thing with NOS/Nitrous. But it's a bit of a silly argument since you can also Turbo a V8 and the same thing that happened to the four will occur. So you're back at square one. The one thing that saves the four is that it's much more expensive to Turbo a V8 than it is to Turbo a 4 so it's not done quite as often.

So what do I think is better? V8.

But it's got nothing to do with size or power. Just sound. A V8, no matter what the size just sounds better to my ears. Also, if it's a tiny V8 (under 3 liters) you have a kind of motorcycle thing happening where it becomes a bit stronger than a bigger engine because everything is so tiny. So you can pump it like crazy and nothing will break because the cylinders are like deep sea diving bells and insanely resistant to pressure. So for my money, yes V8 wins, but not because of power.

Anyway, I've been babbling long enough. You said the guy told you his hemi did a stock quarter in 13.5? Well, If the guy you were arguing with had a "real" Hemi (the 426 ones made between 1964 and 1971) then no, you don't stand a chance. Those cars go like motherf*ckers! I'm not putting down your car, just telling you how it is. Those engines are still used in Funnycar and Dragsters because they're so fast. They're crap to drive on a daily basis but on the track they rock n' roll like the ghost of Elvis. But If he had a modern day hemi in a non SRT Charger, or *snicker* Dodge Ram, then you could beat him without a sweat. Your car's lighter and faster. If is an SRT then you can make fun of him for buying a car that can only go in a straight line without ending up in a ditch.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:39 AM
This circular argument again?

NA V8's of the same displacement, same technology, usually (9.9/10) produce more power, ergo, will be quicker in a straight line than a NA 4 cylinder.

Mod the 4 banger, it's faster. If you mod the V8, it will be faster than the modded 4. If you mod the 4 more, its faster, if you mod the 8 more it's fast, and so on and so forth, till eternity or money run out.

Click here for Blog
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 6:38 AM
sounds like your friends need to get a grip. they sound like a friend of mine.....if it aint an LS1 is garbage. frankly....it gets annoying

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:25 AM
Chris DeNisco wrote:if it aint an LS1 is garbage. frankly....it gets annoying

annoying or not, that friend has a point

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 8:00 AM
Is he confusing 1/8 mi for the 1/4 mi.?

Cause then yes, I might believe his ram will run 13.5...

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 8:23 AM
sounds like your in texas , havent you learned you cant argue with steers and queers ?

its a loosing battle

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 11:56 AM
Dodge Ram Hemi runs about a 16 second quarter. Not bad for a truck. But could be beaten by even the most slighly modded J-body. Hell, it could probably be beated by a stock non a/c, no option J-body with a manual tranny if it had a good set of tires on.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 12:16 PM
Knoxfire wrote:Dodge Ram Hemi runs about a 16 second quarter. Not bad for a truck. But could be beaten by even the most slighly modded J-body. Hell, it could probably be beated by a stock non a/c, no option J-body with a manual tranny if it had a good set of tires on.

i ran 15.6 in my g/fs stock 02 LS sport , its fully loaded

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 12:59 PM
[quote=97trd(???™)]
Knoxfire wrote:Dodge Ram Hemi runs about a 16 second quarter. Not bad for a truck. But could be beaten by even the most slighly modded J-body. Hell, it could probably be beated by a stock non a/c, no option J-body with a manual tranny if it had a good set of tires on.

i ran 15.6 in my g/fs stock 02 LS sport , its fully loaded

Yes, but you probably know how to drive really well, unlike most Ram owners. Was it 4WD or RWD?

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 1:07 PM
v12, nuff said

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 2:06 PM
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:v12, nuff said

the man has a point

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 2:14 PM
Context dependant you stupid monkeys.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:29 PM
I just think it depends so much on the specific engine. There are some engines that can make more power then stock extremely easily. Of course the average v8 is a better/cheaper starting point then the average 4 banger 9 out of 10 times. But it is such a broad range

THE APPLES TO ORANGES COMPARISONS ANNOY ME THOUGH

Lets talk about "sports cars" for example
People will see some video of a turbo 4 banger whipping on v8's and say "Well if the v8 had 25 pounds of boost like the 4 cylinder then it would be even faster",,,,NO, it wouldn't,, the v8's shattered block would be lying in the street....The reason that turbo 4 cylinder guy is running that type of boost is because his iron block engine was designed for boost and can hold that much relatively easily. Try to put that type of boost on an aluminum block ls1 and it would cost you a 20x the amount.

The equivalent on the other side is
the 4 cylinder guy who says "well if I had twice the displacement I would be faster then you" ??WTF, It's never going to happen so why talk about it? You will have never have that displacement and its a handicap YOU CHOSE!

My whole point,,, certain engines MOD great, others suck, and some are in between. V8 and/or factory forced induction seem to usually be the best/cheapest starting points. Its the reason why a ls1, cobra, supra, dsm, etc are much easier and cheaper to mod then a cutlass supreme, crown vic, camry etc
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:26 PM
Screw all of you.

3 cylinder Sprint Turbo FTW!

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:48 PM
screw all of you!

quad turbo V16

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search