Importing Nissan Skyline GTR - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Importing Nissan Skyline GTR
Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:45 AM
Anyone else in Canada know someone who tried it? I know Japanese cars tend to be very very clean because you can't really drive them anywhere and they have insane inspections every year. So they're always tip-top.

However, I been looking at a 1991 Skyline GTR or a 1989 Toyota Hilux and thinking that there are a lot worse vehicles to buy for 12 grand.

Yet, I'm a little nervous about spending money on some mystery dealership in Calgary. So any real life experiences that you guys can share with me would be cool as well.

Re: Importing Nissan Skyline GTR
Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:50 AM
there was a guy on another board that i frequent that lived in canada and had a skyline. i don't think it was a gtr though. he drove it daily and never had any issues.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:09 PM
Try searching around on GTR Canada it may be useful, its a site dedicated to Skylines in general.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:10 PM
^^^ Bingo.

My advice: don't chance it. DO IT NOW, and GET A REPUTABLE IMPORTER TO HELP YOU WITH THE PROCESS, and KEEP COPIES OF 100% OF ALL THE DOCUMENTS INVOLVED IN THE IMPORTATION. I hate to shout, but I know someone that is very likely to lose a Skyline GTS and a Mitsubishi (forget the model, it's a truck though) because of a f*ck up with her importer (that is NOT listed on GTR Canada).

The only other thing I would be certain to do is read my post: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=22&i=39580&t=39580 and comment on the process. Don't ask for the thumbnail version, that's it

Good luck on getting one in, and I want to see pics when you do get it in as well!

Friday, June 29, 2007 6:24 AM
I have a 180SX, it's not a skyline but the importing process is the same.

www.drluc.ca
Friday, June 29, 2007 4:09 PM
There was a dealership around here that had imported a few Hiluxs and a Skylines, they were just sitting on the lot. Might still be there. I can't remember what it was called though, but it's in Winnipeg.
Friday, June 29, 2007 5:37 PM
Sip wrote:I have a 180SX, it's not a skyline but the importing process is the same.
There is a potential that you might NOT have been able to get the car in the country if it had the motorized belts.

Friday, June 29, 2007 6:18 PM
See, this is why I want to buy a car that already been imported and inspected. Basically a car already on the lot.

Friday, June 29, 2007 6:55 PM
Better to go with one of the forums... there's usually someone selling one at some point.

Friday, June 29, 2007 8:07 PM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
Sip wrote:I have a 180SX, it's not a skyline but the importing process is the same.
There is a potential that you might NOT have been able to get the car in the country if it had the motorized belts.

Huh? What are you talking about Matt?

www.drluc.ca
Saturday, June 30, 2007 2:06 AM
Motorized belts in the 240SX/180SX need to be modified to meet CMVSS. It's not an expensive mod (I think its about $100) but if you got the car imported, it'd have to be inspected, checked and modified at the initial importation inspection, and then re-checked on the provincial inspection before it got safetied and plated.

IF you didn't have that done and have motorized belts, I wouldn't say anything... a LOT of cars have had things missed on importation inspections (things like the headlights being aimed for RHD roads, seat belt assemblies and child restraints, windshields/other glass not being marked with AS1/AS2/AS3/AS10), but still got their new VIN from Transport Canada and license plates.

Saturday, June 30, 2007 8:36 AM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Motorized belts in the 240SX/180SX need to be modified to meet CMVSS. It's not an expensive mod (I think its about $100) but if you got the car imported, it'd have to be inspected, checked and modified at the initial importation inspection, and then re-checked on the provincial inspection before it got safetied and plated.

IF you didn't have that done and have motorized belts, I wouldn't say anything... a LOT of cars have had things missed on importation inspections (things like the headlights being aimed for RHD roads, seat belt assemblies and child restraints, windshields/other glass not being marked with AS1/AS2/AS3/AS10), but still got their new VIN from Transport Canada and license plates.

New VIN? mine is registered withthe chassis number. LOL. So is my father-in-laws. The only inspection they went through was an MVI, to the best of my knowledge.

www.drluc.ca
Saturday, June 30, 2007 12:47 PM
You have a 17 digit VIN? I thought Japanese VINs were 16 digits.

MVI? RIV?

If you only got one inspection certificate, you're going to need to get the provincial inspection, and I believe your need Form 1. If you don't have the importation inspection (it'll be from a Canadian Tire inspection centre most likely, I don't know of any Importers that are licensed inspectors) and Provincial (in Nova Scotia) you're going to want to get it. If you don't have it, you're facing the possibility of losing the ability to license it.. this should have been taken care of by your importer. Either way, it's $50 or so worth of peace of mind.

Sunday, July 01, 2007 11:07 AM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:You have a 17 digit VIN? I thought Japanese VINs were 16 digits.

MVI? RIV?

If you only got one inspection certificate, you're going to need to get the provincial inspection, and I believe your need Form 1. If you don't have the importation inspection (it'll be from a Canadian Tire inspection centre most likely, I don't know of any Importers that are licensed inspectors) and Provincial (in Nova Scotia) you're going to want to get it. If you don't have it, you're facing the possibility of losing the ability to license it.. this should have been taken care of by your importer. Either way, it's $50 or so worth of peace of mind.

Mine is MVI'd and licensed for almost a year. The only inspection i ever took it to was the MVI at a garage. Then i registered it with the short 11 digit chassis number, on KRS13 XXXXXX.

www.drluc.ca
Sunday, July 01, 2007 11:14 AM
There is a guy on bcjbody.net selling one out of vancouver..apprently very very clean..phil
Sunday, July 01, 2007 11:25 AM
Hrmm... I was under the impression that Trans Can issued a new VIN as one of the last steps before licensing.

Either way, hope you enjoy it

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search