I also need some info on a bike :) - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I also need some info on a bike :)
Friday, June 22, 2007 12:48 PM
I'm lookin at an 04 GS500f. It is in great condition and only has 2400 miles on it. They seem like nice bikes to start on, I've never been on a streetbike, only dirtbikes..anyways here are some pics of it. What do you guys think/know about these bikes? Thanks!

Re: I also need some info on a bike :)
Friday, June 22, 2007 1:19 PM
Great starter bike for sure but if you have dirt experience you may want more bike fairly quickly. It'll depend on just how much riding you have done. I don't consider an afternoon on a borrowed bike as experience of any real value. However if you had your own dirt bike(s) and have ridden since you were a child the 500 will be quickly outgrown.

Consider for yourself your own experience level, if you want a sportbike or not and if you don't mind flipping a bike in a uyear or less. It may make more sense for you to just go ahead and get yourself a supersport. I would NOT suggest a Superbike (1litre) until you have some sportbike (600cc) experience, regardless of the amount of dirt riding you have done. Once you have some street experience then you can consider the litre bikes.

Take an MSF course (you will learn something and save on insurance), read Keith Code's books (A Twist of the Wrist I and II). You'll be fine on just about any bike if you have lots of dirt riding in. If not, do the above and buy the 500, you will like it. They are fun even for seasoned riders, just not as much fun as a crotch rocket.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, June 22, 2007 1:32 PM
i enjoy my 04 gs500, been riding since i was 5, had my license at 16, and i'm now 24. for me the gs is cheap $100 a month (bought it new) and $25 a month for full coverage insurance . and being a shorty at 5'4", i still have to tip toe a bit. me and my parents rode about a 1000 miles in one weekend to TN, 80-85 mph all the way on the interstate, bike held up just fine. its not a scary sportbike thats for sure, but it is newbie friendly, i had my best bud out a couple weekends ago on it, it was the 1st time he has been on the road. he had only been on dirt bikes before and he didn't have any problems.

some people say start on a 600, but i don't usually recommend it. ride a smaller bike for a season or 2 then move up. people usually don't have a problem getting rid of good beginner bikes.

i average around 60 mpg. btw i'm also a fan of the SV650S.

A great GS Forum.
http://www.gstwins.com/gsboard/

| '89 Z24 Auto | '99 Prelude 5spd | '04 GS500F | '05 HD 883L |

Friday, June 22, 2007 5:33 PM
yeah, like I don't have a ton of experience..maybe riding a couple times a month on my buddy's 125 a few years ago, so I don't think I will grow out of it too quick..How big is this bike also? I'm 6'2-6'3 about 225..haha I sat on a 250 ninja and it was kinda like a pocket bike..haha Thanks for the info, if anyone else has any experience with these let me know! :-)

Friday, June 22, 2007 6:23 PM
A guy your size might consider the SV650 or Honda 599. Both fairly tame but larger bikes. The 500 is just a bit bigger than the 250. The two I suggested are going to be better able to suit your size and yet are forgiving bikes that are still fun to ride.

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Friday, June 22, 2007 6:49 PM
I can pick this up for about 2700 with 11K on the clock..it's a 95 ZX6R..I may end up pickin this up

Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:07 AM
here's my best friend on my gs, he's prob atleast 6' and atleast 190-200lbs muscle. i know what you mean about the ninja 250, we have one of those too and compared to the gs it feels small.

u can make the pic bigger by clicking on it

| '89 Z24 Auto | '99 Prelude 5spd | '04 GS500F | '05 HD 883L |

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search