Might have a new project car - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Might have a new project car
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:36 AM
so tomorrow im going to look at a 1985 Black on Black Z28. it apparently doesnt run, and is in decent shape. im assuming since its a 5 speed its got the LD9 Carbed 305, i was hoping for a tuned port but after a little research i found that the tuned port only came on the autos for some reason. anyway....im goin to check it out tomorrow, he only wants 500 bucks for it and maybe i can talk him down further...ill post more when i know more.

anyway...for those who know 3rd gens...what should i look for when checking this thing out...i mean i had a 89 RS but the chassis had zero problems when i owned it so i never learned anything body and chassis wise...so anyone with any "look out for this....." type of info is much appreciated...thanks!

Re: Might have a new project car
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:57 AM
they made 5spd 305 tpi's

you wont find a 350 tpi with a 5spd , atleast from GM , their reason was the 350 far excieded the tq ratting for the 5spds

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:10 AM
no, they didnt make 5 speed tpi's....thats why im sayind its carbed

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:36 AM
Either way, 383 stroker ...

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:51 AM
hehe..that'd be nice....probably dont have the dough for that tho

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:57 AM
they did make 5spd's ive seen them and driven them

the 1 your looking at is prob carb'd

GM did offer 5.0 tpi 5spds , maybe your looking at the wrong years

first for sale car that came up on my search its a 91 5.0 tpi 5spd firebird formula - http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1648

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:09 AM

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:34 AM
Hmmmm...news to me

thanks! much appreciated

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:01 AM
no problem

just gotta dig deep for them the 80's there was alot of slacking out there , and a large percentage will be auto's , but there is 5spds out there

for me id get the 5.7 auto then find a 93-97 6spd stuff and swap over

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:54 AM
well im hoping tomorro's car will be a tpi...but if its not, thats ok too...id be happy with either

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:15 PM
some people like the carb'd versions , easier to modify , easier to work on for the most part if you skip alot of the computer stuff

GM even offered a 350 HO conversion for them

just remember the rear is weaker than weak , and the 5spd usually wheel hop like crazy

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:04 PM
yea....the carb would be easier to modify i guess

and yea...i know about the rears....thanks for the heady up tho

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:05 PM
85 was the first year for tpi, so it's possible it might have it. It could also be an IROC as 85 was the first year for that as well. I wouldn't expect much for the money, but if it's all there I'd get it. Who cares about the motor 305's suck anyway. Jinxed is right 383 is the way to go.
Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:20 AM
Well he said its a Z28....im assuming if it was an IROC he would have had it listed as such...but hey...ill have my fingers crossed!

Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:02 AM
I wouldnt get it. I have 2 305 tpi cars a 88 manual formula and a 89 auto iroc.
85 was the first year of f body tpi and the computer was very slow. in 86 they changed all the electronics. they are cheap enough now that you can hold off for a while and get a better deal. they are a great deal in the fun per dollar category, got my formy for 2k and my iroc for 400.
check out thirdgen.org they have a bunch of info and classifieds too.
Mike

Sunday, June 24, 2007 4:20 PM
They didn't make 350tpi's with t-bars, the frame was not strong enough, but I'v drove a 350tpi 5 speed before thats for sure.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 5:15 PM
I figure that if I did that, I'd have gotten the Evoluzione kit from K-1.

Good luck

Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:38 PM
Devin Russell wrote:They didn't make 350tpi's with t-bars, the frame was not strong enough, but I'v drove a 350tpi 5 speed before thats for sure.

They made tons of 87-90 f bodies with 350 tpi's and t tops. 91-92 you supposedly couldn't get that combo although I've seen a few formulas that had it. You might have driven a 350 tpi 5 speed but it didn't come that way from the factory....Their is no such thing as a factory 5.7 5 speed f body.
Sunday, July 01, 2007 1:53 PM
Robtco99 wrote:
Devin Russell wrote:They didn't make 350tpi's with t-bars, the frame was not strong enough, but I'v drove a 350tpi 5 speed before thats for sure.

They made tons of 87-90 f bodies with 350 tpi's and t tops. 91-92 you supposedly couldn't get that combo although I've seen a few formulas that had it. You might have driven a 350 tpi 5 speed but it didn't come that way from the factory....Their is no such thing as a factory 5.7 5 speed f body.

Than how do you explain the Trans Am GTA?

Iv seen plenty of mid 80's GTA's with 5speeds from the factory with a 5.7l

Sunday, July 01, 2007 4:19 PM
Devin Russell wrote:
Robtco99 wrote:

Than how do you explain the Trans Am GTA?

Iv seen plenty of mid 80's GTA's with 5speeds from the factory with a 5.7l

Their is no explaination neccessary because they didn't exist.

read and learn:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/history-restoration/233781-did-350-tpi-l98.html
Sunday, July 01, 2007 9:01 PM
^^^He's right. No such thing as a factory 5.7 with a 5-speed.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search