Toyota outsells GM worldwide - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Toyota outsells GM worldwide
Friday, June 15, 2007 10:33 AM
It's official: Toyota is the largest automaker in the world, edging out General Motors by a few microvans.
In 2006, Toyota sold 8,808,000 vehicles, and GM sold 8,679,860, ending GM's reign as No. 1.
The rankings of global automakers were compiled by the Automotive News Data Center.
A little-known Chinese microvan played a role in Toyota's victory. GM had included the boxy, seven-seat van and other Wuling vehicles in its global total sales.
But a Chinese company, Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp., owns 51 percent of the van's joint-venture manufacturer, SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile Co.
In its ranking, the data center credits sales of a subsidiary to the parent company that owns a majority share.
Thus, sales of Wuling - 420,140 units - are credited to Shanghai Automotive. And Toyota tops GM by 128,140 vehicles.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Toyota outsells GM worldwide
Friday, June 15, 2007 10:43 AM
Funny thing that you mentioned that. I was watching the news the other day and a GM spokesman said this, "just because you are number 1 doesnt mean that you make quality vehicles." So, by them saying this ... that means, that they just started to make quality vehicles now that they are number 2

dan

Friday, June 15, 2007 2:48 PM
isnt toyota ahead of GM in recalls now too ??

i know they are ahead in broken cam shafts , LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, June 15, 2007 2:49 PM

Friday, June 15, 2007 5:22 PM
One thing you have to consider to, is that just because a company has more recalls doesnt mean much. Just means that company is willing to admit a problem they want to correct be it a saftey issue or cosmetic. Im a service advisor for a large Toyota dealer and i see the recalls all day, (havent seen one for the cam shaft yet, give it time and well see what happens lol). Every day we do about 9-12 recalls for a carpet clip on highlanders, most dont even need it. There is a balljoint recall for Tundras and Sequoias, which i dont see is a bad thing. They are taking care of a potential saftey issue, instead of letting it go on, unlike GM and the infamous strut rub on many a GTOs, which has affected yours truley. Id rather see a company that is going to recall everything they can, instead of sweeping it under the rub. And by the way Im in no way defending Toyota because i work there. It can go for any comapny.

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:55 PM
There's a difference Drew, The broken camshafts and other recalls.. are NOT voluntary. They're mandated in pretty much every country that Toyota has presence and had a Transportation board.

And GM is #2 by a technicality.

Friday, June 15, 2007 7:27 PM
^^^^also true

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:37 AM
Drew K wrote:One thing you have to consider to, is that just because a company has more recalls doesnt mean much. Just means that company is willing to admit a problem they want to correct be it a saftey issue or cosmetic. Im a service advisor for a large Toyota dealer and i see the recalls all day, (havent seen one for the cam shaft yet, give it time and well see what happens lol). Every day we do about 9-12 recalls for a carpet clip on highlanders, most dont even need it. There is a balljoint recall for Tundras and Sequoias, which i dont see is a bad thing. They are taking care of a potential saftey issue, instead of letting it go on, unlike GM and the infamous strut rub on many a GTOs, which has affected yours truley. Id rather see a company that is going to recall everything they can, instead of sweeping it under the rub. And by the way Im in no way defending Toyota because i work there. It can go for any comapny.

^Well said.
I guess people forget about the recall on the LSJ and Ecotecs in Saturns that would catch on fire. Meh, you know, minor stuff.
I persoanlly would not asses a company based on the amount of recalls.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search