Cobalt SS S/C Canceled for 2008 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS S/C Canceled for 2008
Monday, June 04, 2007 12:32 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/04/chevy-cancels-cobalt-ss-supercharged-for-2008/

Boo.

It's been a little while since we talked about the Cobalt SS Supercharged and maybe that's part of the problem. Although this sporty version of the econo-minded Cobalt and one step up from the non-blown Cobalt SS has won its share of accolades from sporting organizations and publications, it hasn't seemed to keep up with the vehicles at the head of the sporty compact class. We know that it is a competent performer, but it seems that GM has quietly decided to discontinue it. The naturally aspirated SS, however, will soldier on, but with a new name. For 2008, the Cobalt SS becomes the Cobalt Sport, and the Cobalt SS Supercharged is being dropped altogether. It could be that Chevy wants to focus more attention on the upcoming HHR SS we showed you a little while ago. Whatever the reasoning, it appears the little Cobalt that could, will be no more. Unless, of course, Chevy is just working on finding a way to get the GXP/Redline 260-hp mill into the Cobalt's engine bay. Follow the jump for the full list of changes for the 2008 Cobalt.

I'm sorry. I don't speak gibberish. Review what you write before you post!

Re: Cobalt SS S/C Canceled for 2008
Monday, June 04, 2007 12:34 PM
Yeah, supercharged tuner cars just don't seem to be that popular. If they would just go ahead and throw the turbo motor in there they'd probably do better.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!

Monday, June 04, 2007 12:41 PM
Come on.... Yeah, 2.0 D.I. Turbo motor FTW.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 04, 2007 12:49 PM
LS4.

Monday, June 04, 2007 1:09 PM
the supercharged model , was dead the day they came out , they were a interm thing only

Monday, June 04, 2007 1:31 PM
i thought the turbo motor into the SS was a for sure thing for 08?

Monday, June 04, 2007 1:38 PM
The "SS/SC" trim level will die. I was also under the impression that the new "SS" would have the 2L Turbo Eco.

Quote:

For 2008, the Cobalt SS becomes the Cobalt Sport

However the boost situation is resolved, this is a good thing. I was never a fan of having two different setups share the SS badge on one car. The SS badge should be the pinnacle of a Chevrolet performance package. Having two "SS" options waters the badge down.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Monday, June 04, 2007 2:03 PM
The SS badge has nothing to do w/ performance.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Monday, June 04, 2007 3:21 PM
[quote=97trd(???™)]the supercharged model , was dead the day they came out , they were a interm thing only

No kidding. Where I work, I've only seen TWO SS/SC's come in to the shop since the Cobalt SS/SC debuted, and the sad thing is one of them is an employee's car. They are nice platforms with a lot of potential, but they are stale. Not really much to them.

Sucks though, I was looking forward to the turbo-charged version. Guess I'll have to settle with the s/c with a stage 2, lol.
Monday, June 04, 2007 6:13 PM
Quote:

I was never a fan of having two different setups share the SS badge on one car. The SS badge should be the pinnacle of a Chevrolet performance package. Having two "SS" options waters the badge down.

I agree. Maybe they should have called the NA "SS" a new "Z24" instead. It would at least reduce confusion.
Monday, June 04, 2007 6:52 PM
The LNF powered SS is not far away

Keep the faith my friends

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, June 04, 2007 7:04 PM
the SS 2,4 us going to be called sport coupe and sport sedan no SS

heres all the changes for 08

Deletions

(21U) Laser Blue Metallic exterior color
(56U) Sunburst Orange Metallic exterior color
LTZ Sedan model
SS Supercharged Coupe model

New Features

(37U) Imperial Blue Metallic exterior color
(39U) Blue Flash Metallic exterior color
(87U) Slate Metallic exterior color
(JL4) StabiliTrak stability control system
(NW9) Traction control
(ASD) Head-curtain side-impact air bag delete for Fleet and Government order types
(UE0) OnStar delete for Fleet and Government order types

Changes

1AM37 is now called Sport Coupe and the equipment group code is now 1SP
1AM69 is now called Sport Sedan and the equipment group code is now 1SP
(TV5) Sport Package is now called Performance Appearance Package and is an available option on 2LT Coupe and 2LT Sedan. The 3LT Coupe and 3LT Sedan equipment groups are deleted.
(ASF) Head-curtain side-impact air bags are now standard on all models
(US8) AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback is now standard on all models
(U2K) XM Satellite Radio is now standard on all models
Instrument panel uppers are now Ebony on all models
LT Sedan with neutral interior now has woodgrain trim
Monday, June 04, 2007 7:31 PM
Yep, that link is correct, when I saw this at the office in April I was pleasantly happy. No more bastardizing the "SS" moniker, side-curtain airbags standard (now they can achieve a higher crash test score with out paying more) and they are now more competitive by finally implementing "StabiliTrak" in their roster. As for the LNF, do not expect it on this platform.

I've searched on another info that it looks like it has not been posted, so I'll start another thread. Quite frankly it is bad too.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 8:18 AM
ZlineDavid wrote:The "SS/SC" trim level will die. I was also under the impression that the new "SS" would have the 2L Turbo Eco.

Quote:

However the boost situation is resolved, this is a good thing. I was never a fan of having two different setups share the SS badge on one car. The SS badge should be the pinnacle of a Chevrolet performance package. Having two "SS" options waters the badge down.

The SS Badge was used on some of the fastest cars Chevy had to offer, but not exclusively so. Remember those anemic El Camino and Monte-Carlo SS'? How about the 454SS? Cobalt SS beats out all those cars. Hell, a Cobalt SS will even beat a 1969 Camaro SS350 in the quarter. Camaro is a mid-15 second machine, Cobalt is high 14's/low-15's.

Because of the drivetrain layout (AKA: Massive torque steer) and reliability concerns I doubt that we'll see a Turbo Cobalt be spectacularly faster than the SC one.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:31 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Yep, that link is correct, when I saw this at the office in April I was pleasantly happy. No more bastardizing the "SS" moniker, .

I love how you complain about the Cobalt SS so much for using the "SS" name, yet make no mention of the monte SS, Colorado SS, Silverado SS, etc. Damn neat every Chevy car has an SS trim, lol. I swear, at some point the Uplander SS will debut, lol.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:00 PM
So?
At least on the Monte SS, Colorado SS (does not exist), Silverado SS can be had with V8 or RWD. And if someone is a smart ass and say; what about the Malibu SS? Although I will always say SS should be for V8 and/or RWD performance vehicles, atleast on the Malibu it is nostalgic. All of which, Cobalt is not V8 powered, not RWD, nor nostalgic: but just a grocery getter econobox.
Also GM knew they were going crazy with slapping "SS" everywhere (thread is available on that) and that the reverse trend has already started with the Equinox Sport.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 10:29 PM
The idea that a car company wouldn't pimp out their history to sell more cars is ridiculous. Just read my previous post about the SS badge. Since it's inception in 1961, there have been only two years when an SS badge wasn't used: 1977 and 1989. Every other year saw it slapped on one car or another, didn't matter if it was fast or not.

Now if it had been used more judiciously over the years, then maybe using it exclusively on the top of the line models would make sense, but how can you justify not using it on a Cobalt or a Malibu when it's been used on the 1976 Nova SS? A car so slow that you had to use a calendar to calculate it's quarter mile time. (16.6 second Quarter and 8.8 second 0-60 in case you were curious, the 1978 El Camino SS was probably even worse. It was heavier, had a less powerful engine and no traction.)

I think they're "retiring" the badge for exaclty the reasons you outline, but it's got nothing to do with "preserving" any history and everything to do with the fact that most people who'd buy a Cobalt SS/SC couldn't care less about the Super Sport designation as a status symbol. Also, the more PC minded executives are probably worried that SS might remind some sensitive somebody somewhere of the Nazi Schutzstaffel SS.

Besides, now's the perfect time to start re-introducing the Z/24 badge isn't it? Give it 5 years and you'll have everything from a Z/39 Malibu to a Z/53 Impala *groan*

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 3:05 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Yep, that link is correct, when I saw this at the office in April I was pleasantly happy. No more bastardizing the "SS" moniker, side-curtain airbags standard (now they can achieve a higher crash test score with out paying more) and they are now more competitive by finally implementing "StabiliTrak" in their roster. As for the LNF, do not expect it on this platform.

I've searched on another info that it looks like it has not been posted, so I'll start another thread. Quite frankly it is bad too.

With the HHR SS coming out with the LNF wouldn't it make sense for it to go into the Cobalt as well since they are both deltas?

2006 Cobalt SS 2.4L 9.6 @74mph 1/8th mile w/2.28 60ft

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:52 AM
Knoxfire wrote:
ZlineDavid wrote:The "SS/SC" trim level will die. I was also under the impression that the new "SS" would have the 2L Turbo Eco.

Quote:

The SS Badge was used on some of the fastest cars Chevy had to offer, but not exclusively so. Remember those anemic El Camino and Monte-Carlo SS'? How about the 454SS? Cobalt SS beats out all those cars. Hell, a Cobalt SS will even beat a 1969 Camaro SS350 in the quarter. Camaro is a mid-15 second machine, Cobalt is high 14's/low-15's.

Because of the drivetrain layout (AKA: Massive torque steer) and reliability concerns I doubt that we'll see a Turbo Cobalt be spectacularly faster than the SC one.

u do realize that mid 15s was fast for the time...so the SS badge made sence....you cant compare the two different periods in time.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 4:28 PM
sucks, nice car

GM Stage 2 &&& air box modification
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 9:45 PM
I've seen Colorado SS's come into my work. They are lowered, have what looks like a nice body kit, different gauges, SS rims and dual exhaust. I've seen a few actually, you sure they don't exist...?

Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:36 PM
^dealer rice packages, ive seen the colorado Xtreme as well....

Friday, June 08, 2007 9:42 AM
I feel let down that no FI Cobalt will be offered. My new car decision comes soon and I was hoping and planning to put a turbo Cobalt in the driveway. It was mentioned to GM Canada dealer salestaff, when the Cobalt was introduced, that the car was coming in 08. Even now they are being told the Supercharged car is still on the books. The confusion isn't going to motivate me to get one of the 07 cars. Had GM given me the 1% off, I'd probably have one now though.

I have been thinking of the HHR turbo that has been talked about. I not sure it's a car I can see myself driving. In my work and hobbies I have met more than my fair share of HHR enthusiasts. Most of the owners and admirers of the HHR have been empty nesters. I'm starting to think image of the car implies that the drivers "plumbing" doesn't work anymore. A panel van SS with a few toys might be neat. I know the door pillar will bug me being so close to my head. A coupe more suites my size when considering a smaller car.

The Solstice and Sky are far more expensive to finance and might require that you keep another car around just in case you need to carry a sandwich. The 2.4 in stock trim doesn't inspire me, and the turbo cars are right at the point where the price gets silly when considering it's practicality. The sandwich car has to be figured into the calculations. However, I could use to avoid a few lunches here and there. Maybe before I try to sit in a Sky again.

An 08 Turbo halo car for the final year before the change would be perfect in my eyes. It would be the one edition of the SS that would be most desireable as far as collectors down the road. My uncles Integra type R still gets offers equal to what he paid for the car new the final year. Even with the car now having over 100,000km. I sure would consider it a favour if GM actually sold me a car that was worth something in th end.

So GM! Give us a couple thousand Turbo Cobalts just for @!#$'s and giggles. I promiss I'll take one home! Even without my extra 1% off interest. We called and pretty much begged for you to take our money. Had I just signed on your promotion where I buy my cars and not where I live, you would have me for another cycle. Now that there is nothing in the lineup that I can afford and like at the same time, I am forced to again consider something else this time round. The Monte barely kept me with GM. It was chosen mostly by default. I'm not doing it again.

Saturday, June 09, 2007 7:57 AM
word, i would totally trade mine in for that and ditch the cobra idea

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, June 09, 2007 8:32 AM
I have a feeling they will Turbo the next gen Cobalt. Perhaps they're waiting till then...allowing them some more R&D time. Is there not an aftermarket Turbo for the 2.4 Eco?

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search