Wheelin and Dealin - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wheelin and Dealin
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 8:51 AM
OK, so after GM held the employee discount for everyone in 2005, we all know that employees get invoice price + one hundred bucks.

I'm looking at retiring my current cav about a year from now (currently about to turn 100k miles and I put over 25k on per year). If I cannot find a very low milage '05 cav between now and fall, I will be looking at a new Cobalt LT or possibly SS 2.4.

Should I take advantage of a family member's employee discount, or are there better deals to be had say in the fall with rebates and such.

Also if anyone else has experience in long distance commuting (at least 100 miles per day), let me know what you recommend for a DD.

BTW the cav (2002 base model) has been excellent to this point. It gets a consistent 34 mpg or better, and has had NO reliability issues whatsoever. That means I have done nothing to this car but oil changes and tires (no brakes!) for the past 100k miles. It's not fast, but it has been fun to drive (mods in registry).

Thanks for reading!

Re: Wheelin and Dealin
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 6:19 PM
oldskool wrote: That means I have done nothing to this car but oil changes and tires (no brakes!) for the past 100k miles. It's not fast, but it has been fun to drive (mods in registry).

Thanks for reading!

are you saying in 100k, you've never had the brakes pads/rotors replaced?

Best quarter mile to date - 15.750 @ 85.82
"We ride together, we die together. Bad Boys for life"
www.nimbus9.net
Nimbus 9, some friends of my that rock! Click and experience them for yourself
IF YOU NEED A JOB IN NH PART OR FULL TIME, PM ME! ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIKE CARS!!!
Wednesday, May 09, 2007 12:54 PM
The rear brakes are original, and if they pass inspection this month, it will be marginal. The front had new pads when i bought it at 20k miles, so the rotors are 100k old and the pads are 80k old. They will pass no problem. I'm good with the engine breaking. BTW the clutch is original and still feels great.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:06 PM
Thats unpossible in a cavalier. My rotors need turned (or should be turned) every time I get my tires rotated. They suck.

I'm sorry. I don't speak gibberish. Review what you write before you post!
Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:17 PM
I demand current pics of the roaters! When you stop at high speeds, does your car shake?

dan

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:40 PM
im not sure whether to laugh or @!#$ myself in disbelief at the rotors/pads thing

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 3:15 PM
dubduce18s wrote:I demand current pics of the roaters! When you stop at high speeds, does your car shake?

dan

YES it shakes pretty badly, but it still stops. I'm in as much disbelief that the accessories (water pump, power steering, ac, alt), have lasted this long. On my 95 ga, i had three alternators in like a period of two years, and that was all under 100k miles

Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:21 AM
oldskool wrote:
dubduce18s wrote:I demand current pics of the roaters! When you stop at high speeds, does your car shake?

dan

YES it shakes pretty badly, but it still stops. I'm in as much disbelief that the accessories (water pump, power steering, ac, alt), have lasted this long. On my 95 ga, i had three alternators in like a period of two years, and that was all under 100k miles

New roaters will fix that problem. Can you just please take a pic, I'd love to see how warped they are. Ohh, and it will be cheaper just to get new roaters, turning them takes about 2 or so hours and 2 dollars cheaper than buying new ones. Atleast, that is what it was a Jappa (NAPPA).

dan

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:55 AM
Also, I forgot to mention. The 2200 engines are pretty much a good engine, when it comes to reliablity. I currently have 81k miles on mine and the only thing that needed to be serviced (under warranty) was my thermostate, blower resistor and my cat. Although, maybe I did just get lucky Btw, I also have a 2002 base model cavalier.

dan

Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:52 AM
dubduce18s wrote:Also, I forgot to mention. The 2200 engines are pretty much a good engine, when it comes to reliablity. I currently have 81k miles on mine and the only thing that needed to be serviced (under warranty) was my thermostate, blower resistor and my cat. Although, maybe I did just get lucky Btw, I also have a 2002 base model cavalier.

dan

yeah the 2200 are very stable lol i drove 32k without an oil change or even adding to it. yes it was stupid i know but i was trying to blow it up to have a reason to swap in a 2.4.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:19 PM
BTW gm employee discount is less than invoice.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:53 PM
Why pick and choose between Employee Discount of rebates and what not?

The only thing I have ever had to trade off was to use my GM card + Rebates and Incentives or Family of Employee Discount + Rebates and Incentives...

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:33 AM
D.S.S. Cavalier wrote:BTW gm employee discount is less than invoice.

Are there different discounts for different employees? My bro is a tech and he gets 100 dollars over invoice for immediate family (like me). Sorry I don't have pics of the rotors, but when they get changed, ill keep them and hang them in my garage or something .

The car turned 100k this weekend. I would really like to find another low miles mint cav for a DD, but I'll prolly go cobalt or something else.

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:42 AM
You'd have to shoe horn me in with a m16 and 10 grand worth of incentives to get my in another Gm economy car, G6 or bust.

I'm sorry. I don't speak gibberish. Review what you write before you post!
Monday, May 14, 2007 10:22 AM
I had to do long comutes for my company before I was transferred. They bought me a 2005 GMC Jimmy, was awful on gas, glad I didn't pay for it, seats were not very comfortable, radio sucked, but it did hold all of my equipment and the 4x4 came in handy driving in the snow. Overall I would never buy one.
Monday, May 14, 2007 1:26 PM
dubduce18s wrote:Also, I forgot to mention. The 2200 engines are pretty much a good engine, when it comes to reliablity. I currently have 81k miles on mine and the only thing that needed to be serviced (under warranty) was my thermostate, blower resistor and my cat. Although, maybe I did just get lucky Btw, I also have a 2002 base model cavalier.

dan

my 1st J was a 99 fire 2200/3spd. got it new, drove it for 115,000 miles...only non-maintenance items i had to fix were o2 sensor at 55k, and battery at about the 3 year mark.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:02 AM
Well, I found a 2004 LS sport sedan with 16,xxx miles, five speed, red for $9,900. I'm really thinking about it. I believe all of my suspension mods and the stereo equipment should transfer over.

No matter what the discounts, I don't think I can get even a stripped down cobalt ls for under ten grand.

Opinions?

Friday, June 01, 2007 7:28 AM
oldskool wrote:
D.S.S. Cavalier wrote:BTW gm employee discount is less than invoice.

Are there different discounts for different employees? My bro is a tech and he gets 100 dollars over invoice for immediate family (like me). Sorry I don't have pics of the rotors, but when they get changed, ill keep them and hang them in my garage or something .

The car turned 100k this weekend. I would really like to find another low miles mint cav for a DD, but I'll prolly go cobalt or something else.

The car actually passed inspection! 100k mile old rear breaks and 100k mile old rotors still pass! The 75k mile old pads up front will be replaced, but thats only because I'm having the rotors turned and getting hawk pads/stainless lines.

Friday, June 01, 2007 8:59 AM
Wow it passed ?

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Friday, June 01, 2007 3:51 PM
oldskool wrote:The rear brakes are original, and if they pass inspection this month, it will be marginal. The front had new pads when i bought it at 20k miles, so the rotors are 100k old and the pads are 80k old. They will pass no problem. I'm good with the engine breaking. BTW the clutch is original and still feels great.

I baby the hell out of my car and I've never been hard to had to slam on the brakes. I keep everything clean and in awesome working order, and when i last had my car checked, I was told my rear brakes were perfectly fine, but my pads would need to be replaced by the end of fall, which would put me at about 25,000 miles.
Friday, June 01, 2007 6:33 PM
dubduce18s wrote:

New roaters will fix that problem. Can you just please take a pic, I'd love to see how warped they are. Ohh, and it will be cheaper just to get new roaters, turning them takes about 2 or so hours and 2 dollars cheaper than buying new ones. Atleast, that is what it was a Jappa (NAPPA).

dan

You will not be able to see how warped they are with just a picture of them on the car, not possible.

Also, turning rotors does not take 2 hours unless you have a 3 year old retard turning them. I can do two rotors in probably 15 minutes, probably less, and that's with running a slow cut also.

1983 Camaro Z28

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search