Can't decide - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can't decide
Sunday, May 06, 2007 7:01 AM
So I decided the other day that swapping out an eco and building it up in my 2200 auto cavi just isnt worth it, and that I'm going to keep the cavi looking nice but won't do anything performance related to it. Instead, I'm contemplating buying an rx7 with a junked motor and swapping in a 350, or buying a fiero.

Of course, the major problem is finding these, lol. I've found the fiero, don't know too much about it just yet but I do know that they're asking around 700 for it. The rx7 I have yet to find, but a 350 motor is easy to obtain. I'm just looking for everyone's opinions on both options. I dont know much about fiero's, what kind of power they can put down, etc. I've heard they are mechanic's cars because they break every day, but I don't know how true that is.

Has anyone ever owned an rx7 or fiero? I'm trying to research as much as possible before I actually go through with buying either.

Re: Can't decide
Sunday, May 06, 2007 8:01 AM
Not to burst your bubble, but the rex/fiero idea doesn't sound worth it either. I assume you mean the older 88-ish body style. I shudder to think the amount of reinforcing and such you would have to do to take a 20 year old unibody and make it capable of handling a 350. Finding those cars in good condition can be tricky sometimes. And expensive. Remember, Ohio+salt=rust.

If you want a project car, why not find something a tad newer. 4th gen f-bodies (93 or newer) can be had cheap. LT-1's aren't too bad on power, and ls1's can be swapped into them. 5.0 mustangs, 240sx, mr2s(again, expensive), etc all would be decent choices IMO. Id wouldn't pump up the power in a 20+ year old car unless you're ready to do a little resto and welding.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 8:33 AM
Yeah, you make a good point. I'm just trying to stay away from things that are going to cost me an arm and a leg on insurance as well. I'll only keep it insured/drive it in the summer months and work on it in the winter. I'm prepared to do some work on these cars, and I know it'll probably take some elbow grease to get them where I want them. But hey, I wouldn't appreciate the car if I didn't put a little blood and sweat into it though lol.

They make kits to swap in different engines into rx7's at grannysspeedshop.com. Any opinions on those?

Sunday, May 06, 2007 9:37 AM
well, what is your price range?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Sunday, May 06, 2007 11:08 AM
Fieros, you don't have to worry much about rust. They were well under coated from the factory and the body panels are composite.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 11:44 AM
Granny's makes excellent kits for the RX-7... As for worrying about body issues on the RX-7 (or Fiero for that matter), don't. They hold up amazingly well (Assuming you're talking FC, and not SA22) in bad conditions and can take the engine (LS1 is a common swap) easily.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 11:46 AM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Fieros, you don't have to worry much about rust. They were well under coated from the factory and the body panels are composite.

Thats to protect them when they catch on fire.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 12:02 PM
I dunno my wifes brother has a fiero with an all aluminum 400 small block with a 150shot of nitrous. It runs great and he hasn't had any problems. Other than a lil traction problem here and there.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 7:08 PM
The price range for just the car itself is probably around 1K. Not much, I know, but I'm looking for a fixer-upper. Expecially for the rx7 since I probably won't even be keeping the engine. If I get the fiero I will keep the engine in it (Which is better to mod, teh v6 or the 4 cyl?) and try to make that an all motor setup.

Thanks for the opinions guys, you've put my mind at ease a bit

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search