Pick a car Version 900 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pick a car Version 900
Friday, May 04, 2007 8:39 AM
Looking at new cars (and new cars only) and I am looking at a few different cars.

2006 G6 GT, fully loaded. After rebates and discounts, I can get it for $21,000 before the haggle

Basically stock, maybe the body kit or DSG. $23,000ish

2007 V6 Mustang (i know the pic is the GT) 5-speed, Shaker 500, Aluminum Interior.

Opinions (well fact based ones), I know the G6 issues with the power assisted stuff, and I am waiting to see what happens with that before I sign, if that is the car I pick.
I drove the Mustang and the wheel shakes at 60mph, can anyone else confirm it does that on theirs? I know a few people have them. I just didn't like the dealer that I went too, so I am going to probably test drive another just to confirm it does this. I only got to drive it a few miles cause the dealership basically gave me the old, you can't afford this. Which is odd, cause I drove it after work and was rather well dressed. They also wouldn't deal with the price at all, and tried to push me into a used GT, which basically violates half of my requirements. I am a GM guy, so I don't know to much about the Mustangs, so any info on reliability, etc would be welcomed.

I am open to suggestions, no hondas/hyundais/kia's, nothing against them. Nor Cobalt (SS/SC included) or G5 Just don't care for the styling of those cars.

Requirements
1. "Sporty"
2. Good gas mileage (28+ mpg on the highway)
3. Reliable
4. Can handle doing going 75-80mph daily, with smooth and confident suspension. (IE, not sunfire-esque shaking, pick a direction breaking, and lane-change-by-gust-of-wind driving dynamics)
5. $22k-ish
6. Nice seats, that can take a beating. (G6 leather seats have been the best so far)

Basically, I drive 80 miles a day, mostly, if not all highway, at 75mph. I need something that can handle rush hour braking without feeling like the brakes are going to give way at any moment. It also has to have some pep. The ecotec motor in the sunfire isn't too bad at this, would like something more though.

Re: Pick a car Version 900
Friday, May 04, 2007 8:48 AM
Capo di tutti capi wrote:
I drove the Mustang and the wheel shakes at 60mph, can anyone else confirm it does that on theirs? I know a few people have them. I just didn't like the dealer that I went too, so I am going to probably test drive another just to confirm it does this.

Is this a new or a used Mustang????

The wheel should not shake at ANY speed if it's new.

'02 S-10 ZR-2 & '89 Mustang LX Hatch
My car: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4478be41-8f79-402a-85f1-98f3013c716f.htm

Friday, May 04, 2007 8:54 AM
I'd rock the G6 if you don't plan to modify, and if you do, the Golf.

I wouldn't drive a Mustang unless my long-term plans required I dump the motor and transplant in a Marine big-block (and make room for it).

Even then, I'd rather roll with an older Camaro, Firebird or Goat than a new Mustang. I'm no fan of Fords quite honestly.

Friday, May 04, 2007 8:56 AM
Why not the MazdaSpeed 3?

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:04 AM
muffin wrote:Why not the MazdaSpeed 3?

Starting MSRP: $$22, 835
Horsepower: 263 @ 5500 RPM
Torque: 280 @ 3000 RPM

Economy: 20/28 (city/highway)

MazdaSpeed 3 is pretty close to being the best bang for the buck. For about $2-3k more you can get a WRX Impreza.
Friday, May 04, 2007 9:13 AM
@Lash, yes brand new. I am highly suspect of the dealership. Going to test one at another dealership.

@GAM, no mods, outside of exhaust/intake, "bolt ons", It's a daily driver, Ill have fun with something I can take my time doing right (aka weekend car), if i had the money, Id buy a GTO.

@ MazdaSpeed3, I stand a snowballs chance in hell for find one under $25k in these parts, otherwise, possibly. Im a tall guy and I sat in the regular sedan and my knees are in the dash, the leg area was generally cramped. The G6 was awesome to sit it and drive.

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:16 AM
1.Mustang<< It may be considered "the secretary's Mustang" but who cares. It is RWD and quick!
2.G6<< After steering issue is fixed. Nice looks.
3.GTI << Has to be new with warranty. Great potential.

I would look at the new Minis. I've test tracked the old one and it was extremely fun. Soon I'm going to track out the new one and on paper it is only better. The Neon's 1.6L is dropped in favor for a Peugeot/BMW engine and you have the option of a Turbo and weigh in at 2500lbs. All are great in fuel economy too.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:26 AM
@ MR. GW: Any car will be new, possibly with extended warranty. Mini Cooper is a car I like, but like a Miata, Id feel "unmanly" driving one.

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:51 AM
Maybe hold out and see if you like the Altima coupe?
I know I plan to test the V6 addition of it when they do finally release it.
Friday, May 04, 2007 9:53 AM
dazink wrote:
muffin wrote:Why not the MazdaSpeed 3?

Starting MSRP: $$22, 835
Horsepower: 263 @ 5500 RPM
Torque: 280 @ 3000 RPM

Economy: 20/28 (city/highway)

MazdaSpeed 3 is pretty close to being the best bang for the buck. For about $2-3k more you can get a WRX Impreza.

You can get a WRX cheaper than that. I got a TR for a little over 21K and had the spoiler added....you just have to haggle a bit. Incentives should be coming out here in a few months for the '07's that would help with the cost as well. It would definetely meet all requirements but just barely on the MPG and the seats are pretty firm. I have done Colorado to Ohio and back twice and it wasn't too bad. But then again I was used to Cavalier seats........

G6 looks like a very good option too not to mention less attention from cops and lower insurance (depending on your age and driving record).

Good choices all around(except Mustang and that is just because I don't like Ford).

Buy the G6 and the Mini Cooper. You can put the Mini in the trunk of the G6 and just pop it out when you feel like doing some twistys...........
Friday, May 04, 2007 10:34 AM
@!#$, im selling my 06 GTP with 8k miles for 19k. My plan was to sell it and get a truck, but soon as I throw it on autotrader gas goes over $3 a gallon. I might try to get a solstice, otherwise I'll have to keep the G6, I'm not really thrilled about this car.

Friday, May 04, 2007 11:13 AM
I'd look at an Altima.

I just had a brand new one as a rental for a week, we took it nearly 1000 miles from short drives to 1.5 hours at a time. It was a base 2.5s, only options that I could figure were floormats, but it came pretty beefy for a base model. Let me tell ya, my fiance & I totally fell in love with this thing & neither of us are Nissan fans. It was an automatic, but you could barely feel a shift, only if you got on it hard from a stop. It had plenty of high & low end torque which came in handy with not knowing exactly where we were going since we weren't familiar with the area and quick lane changes happened often. It had tons of guages, one of which let us know that our mixed highway/city driving was earning 28-31mph. The back seat had a lot of leg room for my mom & all of her old lady friends even when we had the seats the whole way back, although the front was way roomy & didn't require the seats all the way back. The trunk was super huge too as well as the glove box that fit my purse with a ton of crap stuffed in it, maps and then some! I configured one like we drove and it was somewhere around $20k, so if you'd go with that, you could even upgrade it more and be in your range.

Seriously, go take a look.

Friday, May 04, 2007 11:44 AM
ford fusion v6 (no awd as fuel economy wouldnt be as good)
you can get one pretty much fully loaded for 22-23k

Friday, May 04, 2007 2:13 PM
Wait for the new camaro?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Friday, May 04, 2007 2:33 PM
...it's 2007.... the Camaro comes out in 2009. I just can't drive a sunfire that long....

Friday, May 04, 2007 2:42 PM
saturn sky?

Friday, May 04, 2007 2:43 PM
Same deal as the MazdaSpeed3, pushing 30k, and the solstice is 25K dealer markup is ridiculous....

Friday, May 04, 2007 2:46 PM
GTI!

Friday, May 04, 2007 3:10 PM
Capo di tutti capi wrote:Same deal as the MazdaSpeed3, pushing 30k, and the solstice is 25K dealer markup is ridiculous....

uhm not here.
20k for a base solstice.

Friday, May 04, 2007 11:50 PM
If you're gonna go mustang at least get the gt. I know of a few people that got new gt 5 speeds for around 22-23k

Mini's are nice, as well as wrx's, milan/fusion, and tc's.
Saturday, May 05, 2007 6:31 AM
Robtco99 wrote:If you're gonna go mustang at least get the gt. I know of a few people that got new gt 5 speeds for around 22-23k

Mini's are nice, as well as wrx's, milan/fusion, and tc's.

In a perfect world, I could get a GT. Like I said, I drive 80+ miles a day, gas is $3.00/gallon and insurance would eat me alive.
Besides the ^ sounds nice, gets good gas mileage, and is faster than some of the old 5.0's. No need to get a GT for a daily driver.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 1:05 PM
get a mini cooper s you wont be disapointed.... there not only pretty quick (a new stock 07 runs the 1/4 in 14.7-14.9 ) but it gets awesome gas mileage at 29city / 36 highway... all this and not to mention is it one of the funnest cars to drive ever..just think of a go-kart on steroids
and just think its a BMW so you know the quality is gonna be top notch in its class

Saturday, May 05, 2007 2:56 PM
I wouldnt feel unmanly, its not as gurly as a miata or a bug.
And Im sorry the bug is a all girl car, it has a built in flower vase in the dash.

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Saturday, May 05, 2007 4:07 PM
GTI
Saturday, May 05, 2007 7:44 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
I would look at the new Minis.

the minute I'm forced into lease (for company/tax purposes) is the minute I'm getting a mini.
I love those diminutive bastards.

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] coach built xj ( o   \[][][][][][][]/  o ) hid wj
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search