It's a sad day for GM... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
It's a sad day for GM...
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 6:54 AM

Re: It's a sad day for GM...
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:24 AM
wow....

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:31 AM
Fu(K Toyota. GM is still cleaning their clocks in Nascar and Grand AM series racing.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:45 AM
Spike J wrote:Fu(K Toyota. GM is still cleaning their clocks in Nascar and Grand AM series racing.

Well... Toyota hasn't done so bad in the Craftsman series, right? What can you really expect out of their first year in the Nextel Cup?

This was really inevitable. Hopefully it'll be a catalyst for change within GM.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:00 AM
well thats not much of a suprise. i read an article in one of my car mags about this being a high probability. they were saying that GM has been number one for so long, maybe it'd do them some good to be number two for a while so they can get the drive to be number one again...

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:51 AM
Hard times.

Wait until the yearly report comes out.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 11:31 AM
although I am a full blooded GM fan I knew this was coming... its sad to see

**changes are here**

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:01 PM
Maybe this will give GM the vision to build better cars, now that they know people aren't just going to buy them because they are GM.
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:48 PM
Mike wrote:Maybe this will give GM the vision to build better cars, now that they know people aren't just going to buy them because they are GM.

x2

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:17 PM
Mike wrote:Maybe this will give GM the vision to build better cars, now that they know people aren't just going to buy them because they are GM.

I think Toyota is in the same position that GM was in 15 years ago. Some people nowadays will buy a Toyota "just because it is a Toyota". I believe Toyota had the most recalled vehicles last year, and yet most people just automatically assume "Toyota has the best quality". Put that together with the criticism GM has received in the press, along with the stories that Toyota SOMETIMES puts out, and this was bound to happen eventually.

I'll see if I can find the article, but I remember reading an article sometime over a year ago or so that Toyota was raising the MSRP of their vehicles to "make the other auto manufactures more competitive". Give me a break; you raise the price of your vehicle to make it "easier" for the competition!?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:39 PM
You do if you face trade blocks and anti-trust suits.

I know Intel has done that on a number of occasions to keep AMD in the black. Heck, at one point the gave them a fab and 5 billion dollars on a zero interest loan.

Things are not always as they seem (in fact they almost never are)

PAX

PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated
- Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:51 PM
RoNuS20 wrote:

I think Toyota is in the same position that GM was in 15 years ago. Some people nowadays will buy a Toyota "just because it is a Toyota". I believe Toyota had the most recalled vehicles last year, and yet most people just automatically assume "Toyota has the best quality". Put that together with the criticism GM has received in the press, along with the stories that Toyota SOMETIMES puts out, and this was bound to happen eventually.

I'll see if I can find the article, but I remember reading an article sometime over a year ago or so that Toyota was raising the MSRP of their vehicles to "make the other auto manufactures more competitive". Give me a break; you raise the price of your vehicle to make it "easier" for the competition!?

lol, here.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=86037&t=86037#86037
Also check here for the recall stuff.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=152739&t=150799#152739

The only thing I'm surprised is that it happened so quick, many analyst experts were predicting that this was going to happen at the end of the decade (2008-2010).
And with fuel prices going up and Toyota having cars that will do 30+mpgs on the city none-the-less and Tundra hitting bulls-eye in the large pick-up segment, I can only see Toyota selling more.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:54 PM
Are they counting Scion as Toyota?
would make a difference?+ doesn't Toyota have the better gas mileage cars than GM?
Thats what people care about now.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:20 PM
They count everything together, worldwide. Lexus, scion, toyota etc. read the article and you will see.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:07 PM
I thought GM owned Toyota?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:22 PM
hug juggalo wrote:I thought GM owned Toyota?

since when...? they had a few partnerships with them with the corolla/prism and old rav4/tracker, thats about it though.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:36 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
Spike J wrote:Fu(K Toyota. GM is still cleaning their clocks in Nascar and Grand AM series racing.

Well... Toyota hasn't done so bad in the Craftsman series, right? What can you really expect out of their first year in the Nextel Cup?

This was really inevitable. Hopefully it'll be a catalyst for change within GM.

its not like brand matters anyway... they dont use any of the toyota or gm parts that come with the cars anyway. its all for advertising purposes.

Check out my build thread!

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:38 PM
^^^exactly. they should just use one universal car and be done with it.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:16 PM
"I THOUGHT"
toyota/chevy cavalier
but thats probably just another partnership thing?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:55 AM
hug juggalo wrote:"I THOUGHT"
toyota/chevy cavalier
but thats probably just another partnership thing?

Yes, GM built the "Toyota" Cavalier entirely, and partnered with Toyota to market it in Japan.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:22 AM
Toyota ownz GM....and it will keep doing it.....Honda will also surpass GM soon..... Toyota>GM...end of story

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:10 AM
Toyota sucks period, and the "quality" is nothing but percieved. Thier entire lineup is boring and ordinary. Also if they are so reliable maybe they wouldnt be recalling more cars than what they sold last year.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:50 PM
Haah only way honda will pass gm is if they start including all there motorized vehicals including atv's motorcyles and those overpriced cars into the figures

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:51 PM
Travis C wrote:Toyota ownz GM....and it will keep doing it.....Honda will also surpass GM soon..... Toyota>GM...end of story

Shows how much you know about the auto industry.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Friday, April 27, 2007 3:25 AM
RoNuS20 wrote:
I believe Toyota had the most recalled vehicles last year, and yet most people just automatically assume "Toyota has the best quality".

Let's not forget there are at least two, and possibly more, ways to look at the "most recalls" situation. Either it means what you think it does, that Toyota has lower quality than perceived by the average consumer, or it means that they simply are more willing to acknowledge the need for a recall... I don't know if anyone remembers the upper balljoint recall on Dodge Durango's and Dakotas a few years back, but that recall was seen coming 4-5 YEARS before it happened by any tech working on Dodge's. But it costs a lot of money to recall something like that, so they put it off as long as they could until it looked like they were going to be getting sued for more than they'd have to pay if they just recalled them. And by that time, it was already well documented that these vehicles were prone to having wheel spindles come loose from the vehicle at highway speed, resulting in lower "perceived" quality.

Well, Toyota's financial position is a lot stronger than GM or Ford's at the moment, so maybe its easier for them to take the hit and make a recall now instead of having to deal with it becoming a big problem later that actually DOES diminish the perception of Toyota quality? Which would you be more upset with? Bringing your car in for a recall BEFORE it actually has the problem that the recall is meant to resolve, or getting the recall notice after you've already had to PAY for the problem or have an accident because of it? To me, it seems more like Toyota attempts to head off problems before they get out of hand... Maybe thats something else that GM could take a cue from

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search