Anyone here have a Jetta I gotta a chance to get one - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone here have a Jetta I gotta a chance to get one
Monday, April 09, 2007 1:53 PM
Anyone here have a Jetta I gotta a chance to get one? I saw one that I love and dont know anything about jetta's at all. Are they good cars or expensive on maintenance?

Re: Anyone here have a Jetta I gotta a chance to get one
Monday, April 09, 2007 1:59 PM
If it's out of warranty....NO!

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Monday, April 09, 2007 2:12 PM
ZlineDavid wrote:If it's out of warranty....NO!

Monday, April 09, 2007 2:25 PM
Talk to Darkstars, he is a VW mechanic and also had a 86 Jetta i believe. he can help you out.

Monday, April 09, 2007 2:56 PM
what year player?

Monday, April 09, 2007 3:04 PM
thanks guys for the feedback its a 2002 with 5 year warranty

Monday, April 09, 2007 3:14 PM
i'd buy it if it has a 1.8t in it, nice little engines to tune.

Monday, April 09, 2007 3:25 PM
If I remember correctly, the 2000-2002 years had a lot of electrical issues in the cars.

Also, what motor and trans? Milage? Condition of car? Poorly or well maintained?

The 2.0 n/a doesnt seem like a lot of fun, but the 1.8T, or their 2.8L V6 can be a lotta fun, depending on what you wanna do to it. Buddy of mine has a 1.8T GTI, and its a fun little car to play around with.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Monday, April 09, 2007 3:37 PM
its a 2002 great condition like new with 44000 miles and automatic transmission, I will try to find out more about it in a couple of days kind of busy now with work during the week.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:34 AM
Lets see.... beware the cost of repairs in that car... they are off the charts expensive...

Ahhhh, the back seats are 95% useless. Theres more room in the back of a j-body. Coupe. You literally can't fit a normal sized baby seat back there if you are taller the 5'10.

With that said, they are BAD cars... they are better then the passats(quality wise) but worse then the golfs of the same year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe Im just pissed, pissed that my freinds are spineless, What else would you
call abandoment some night, when you're in a fight, and they could make things right?
Spineless. I miss some of my old friends, the ones who you could count on,
bet a huge amount on, the fact that they'd always have your back... Its like a kick in
the sack, just knowing, you've got nothing to fall back on. @!#$ this, Im done.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:38 AM
Ace140 wrote:Lets see.... beware the cost of repairs in that car... they are off the charts expensive...

Ahhhh, the back seats are 95% useless. Theres more room in the back of a j-body. Coupe. You literally can't fit a normal sized baby seat back there if you are taller the 5'10.

With that said, they are BAD cars... they are better then the passats(quality wise) but worse then the golfs of the same year.

I'll be more than glad to agree on the repair costs and the back seat comments. My sister has an 02 with the 1.8t. Quick little car, but they've had to already replace the coils and a couple coolant hoses/lines...thankfully it was under warranty.

The backseats suck...I'm 6'4" and cannot ride in their backseat.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:21 AM
My best friend has a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS 5 speed. It's a pretty spirited car and fun to ride in as long as you're sitting in one of the front seats. The only problem she's had so far is that the check engine light has come on in her Jetta and the tech's can't find what's causing the problem (nothing mechanically wrong with the car according to the VW mechanic) so it's pretty much been on after she got the car about a year to 18 months ago.

Pretty good small car, good on gas, and probably the best styling the Jetta has ever seen, in my opinion.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:46 AM
My friend has a 95 Golf GTI...I know, it's not a Jetta, but same company. Thing always has things wrong with it. But then again, it's 12 years old.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:50 PM
Other then the check engine light you will always have they are not that bad. 04 Jetta GLI here and nothing that bad with it
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:48 AM
i have a 2002 GTI with a 1.8t with 80k on the clock and the only problem so far is a wheel bearing...

Thursday, April 12, 2007 5:30 AM
2000 Jetta GLS 1.8T 5-speed.
Bought at 80000kms, now has 133000kms.

Great little car! Awesome once chipped, do some suspension work and you're good to go! Nothing major broke on it, only things I did were maintenance...Check engine light did come on for an O2 sensor, easy change. There are some electrical problems, but everything is so documented on the internet that most vw/audi specialty shops already know of the problems, and are easy to fix. Stay away from dealerships, and find yourself a good shop.

JCO EAST
Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:07 AM
OK thanks for all the info guys, thats pretty awesome feedback.... not sure if I am gonna get it just yet or not the dam guy did not get back to me yet at all. So if I get a chance I will try to see it this weekend just really busy with work now.

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:17 AM
Hey man, I have a 2001 Jetta 1.8t. A quick rundown for you here:

Reliability:
This car has been very reliable. However, Jettas have been known to have some issues, but no more than any other car in it's class. What makes the Jetta stand out is it's ungodly cost for repairing such things.

Aftermarket:
The aftermarket for these cars is insane. Parts are everywhere for these little rockets, and squeezing horsepower out of that turbo motor is a breeze. However, when modding this car, you must do it right! You can't go to autozone and grab an intake and filter and call it a day, especially with the 5-speed. You'll jack up the transmission with that sort of behavior. Chipping these cars will instantly produce 200+ horsepower to the wheels. Uprgrade the turbo with that chip and 280+ is not unheard of.

All in all, this car has been fun. The build quality and feel of the car is 100 times better than my J ever was...but given the choice, give me back my J with the Ecotec anyday of the week!

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:08 PM
^^ he is right

buying an intake form AutoZone with mess up your 5-speed trans

that coule be the single stupidest comment I've ever read on JBO

Saturday, April 14, 2007 7:19 PM
Travis Estep wrote:Aftermarket:
The aftermarket for these cars is insane. Parts are everywhere for these little rockets, and squeezing horsepower out of that turbo motor is a breeze. However, when modding this car, you must do it right! You can't go to autozone and grab an intake and filter and call it a day, especially with the 5-speed. You'll jack up the transmission with that sort of behavior. Chipping these cars will instantly produce 200+ horsepower to the wheels. Uprgrade the turbo with that chip and 280+ is not unheard of.

Couple things a little off here.

1. Intake screwing up the transmission? WTF??? My roommate dropped in an intake, downpipe, and solid trans mount in his GTi, nothing wrong with the tranny, even after beating the piss off of it (manual though). Also chipped his old A4 1.8t, didnt seem to make a HUGE difference (not $600 worth at least, chip tune from AWE). Helped with the shift speeds (auto trans).

2. A turbo upgrade will of course add a decent amount of power, depending on the tune, turbo size, boost pressure, etc being pushed from it. Other upgrades to add (or free up) some HP would be a downpipe, full exhaust, and GIAC tune.

3. Of course, you have to do mods right, or else you risk breaking a LOT, transmission wouldnt be the first thing to go though.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Saturday, April 14, 2007 8:25 PM
hahahahahahhahahahah

'rocket'

hahahahahahahhahahah

Congrats on the purchase.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 5:51 PM
Yeah, it surprised me too...I'm used to tuning Hondas and J's...but seriously, when my friend had the car, he went to autozone, bought a cone filter, mounted it to the MAF sensor bypassing the air box, and lost 3rd, and 5th in the car...it simply would not go in either gear. I called a dealership and the first thing he told me to do was to remove the air filter, install the factory box again, and hook up this one hose specifically...as soon as I put the factory air box back on and hook that hose up, I had all of my gears back...I can prove it to you if you would like, anyone who lives in KY who would like to verify this, I'd be more than happy to replicate the problem and show you what happened...

Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:28 PM
^^^ I would love see proof of this.... seeing as I'm a Volkswagen Tech I can tell you 100% for sure a cone filter has nothing to do with the trans

Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:03 PM
so...how close are you to KY? I'd love to show you the problem, as well as a few others that came up after he installed the filter. My friend owned the car before I did, and he pretty much riced the car out before I got it. after he bought his Z28, I took over the payments, and the car still has problems...

After installing the cone filter directly onto the MAF, the car lsot 3rd and 5th, though not completely. You could get it into 3rd after very little trying, but 5th was a pain in the ass...it would go in when it wanted to, but otherwise you had to drive around in 4th. It simply would not go in gear. You could wiggle the shifter, play with the clutch, vary the revs of the engine, but it would not go into gear. I installed the factory air box back on and it immediately remedied the problem. The gears shifted very smooth and I haven't had a problem since.

However, there are still other problems. The car had a very bad miss when pulling out and would not build up full boost when running through the gears. We toyed with some things and finally unplugged the battery and plugged it back up. After doing that, the car would not rev past 3K rpm's...it wouldn't pull out of it's tracks at all. So I unplugged the MAF and the car runs fine now, but of course that disables the traction control...I replaced the MAF, but I still have the same problem when it is plugged up, it will not run...I have to drive around with it unplugged...

Any help that you could offer would be MUCH appreciated! and if you're close enough to KY, i'd bring it to you and let you take a look at it..

But before you jump in and say that a comment is the dumbest you have ever seen, you should explore the issue a little more. Problems that are out of the ordinary arise everyday in the automotive technical field. You're probably one of the most knowledgable people on this board today, and dishing out comments like that can be misleading to newbies who are new to anything car related. My dad and I deal in the performance aspect of American sports cars on the side, and we see a lot of different things come up everyday that just don't make any sense at all.

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:49 AM
I'm telling you its not possible for an air intake to have anythign to do with the transmision chifting, especially in a manual. I'm thinking maybe the secondary air pipe that hooks up to the air box was left dangling and got caught up in the shift linkage? i fyou look right in between the airbox/battery and the engine the shifter in the trans is right there... becasue physical interference is the only way thats possible.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search