A promotional video of the Pontiac G8 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A promotional video of the Pontiac G8
Monday, April 09, 2007 2:49 PM

Re: A promotional video of the Pontiac G8
Monday, April 09, 2007 2:51 PM
that car is sick saw it at the auto show this weekend an i loved it best production car at the show hands down

Monday, April 09, 2007 3:20 PM
Yeppers.
Its supposed to have 18s or 19s on it from the factory is the word on the street.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Monday, April 09, 2007 3:24 PM
Why is it that GM will keep bringing over Holden vehicles but haven't seen the sense in bringing the Ute over as well? Also check the Ute SS.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!

Monday, April 09, 2007 4:13 PM
I think Pontiac and Saturn are GM's 2 strong points right now. I really like the looks of this car. Hopefully they just swap the front end badges and call it a day. That car will rock.

Monday, April 09, 2007 4:57 PM
ahhhh towel please

Monday, April 09, 2007 4:59 PM
yummy.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Monday, April 09, 2007 5:13 PM
Amazing car, boring video.

And I agree, I want the Holden front end.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Monday, April 09, 2007 6:38 PM
James Larsen wrote:Why is it that GM will keep bringing over Holden vehicles but haven't seen the sense in bringing the Ute over as well? Also check the Ute SS.

Yeah, can you say El Camino?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Monday, April 09, 2007 7:12 PM
I like the G8 it's a great looking car and I can only assume a blast to drive but like some others I prefer the look of the original Holden.
As for the Ute I don't see it selling well in North America, how many regular cab pick ups do you see these days? It just wouldn't look right with 4 doors and sadly thats what people seem to want these days, also being "carlike" how much can you haul in that thing? I am sure it has power but is it built to handle much weight? I do think though with the success of the dodge magnum GM should consider a V8 wagon and that looks like it could be a good platform to start with.

Jabbles
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:33 AM
I disagree.
I think the Ute has a market. Everyone loves performance pick-ups (i.e. Lightning, Ram SRT, Silverardo SS) This follows that trend but in a more affordable package. It's a perfect light hauler, it could tow 2 jet skis or a snow mobile, put a dirt bike/ATV in back, camping gear, construction gear, beach stuff, mountain bikes, skiing or sleding stuff. There's more to a truck than cab size. And how much weight it can handle is relative, you buy the truck you need...if this truck can't hold the weight of what you need to haul around you move up. But this is a perfect truck for the average home owner that only needs to move a little stuff around (weekend landscaping projects, trips to Ikea or picking up new furnature, small home improvment projects.) and can still enjoy a fun sporty car.

The Ute could be GM's new techno gadget car. that does a little of everything.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:51 AM
I agree. The same reasons why the El Camino was popular 20 years ago are still relevant today. In fact, moreso since compact pickup trucks are being phased out of the market to replace them with mid-sized offerings (The Ranger is the only truly small one left). You sell the El Camino for the overall same price as a Cobalt and you've got the makings of a hit on your hands. To keep the price low they could sell it as a no-frills alternative to owning a truck and a car. No air or luxury items in the base model. Just a bench seat, a manual transmission, a 6 banger engine and 4 wheels. Everything else would be optional and you could customize it like you want.

Wake up GM.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:24 AM
Are you kidding? Theres no way they will do it anytime soon, for one reason. There last truck/car thingy FLOPPED. The SSr didnt sell worth a damn... after poor sales the first year or 2, they went, Ok we must need some preformance behind the thing. So they put an LS2 in it. Yea, still didnt sell. Its the whole once bitten, twice shy thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe Im just pissed, pissed that my freinds are spineless, What else would you
call abandoment some night, when you're in a fight, and they could make things right?
Spineless. I miss some of my old friends, the ones who you could count on,
bet a huge amount on, the fact that they'd always have your back... Its like a kick in
the sack, just knowing, you've got nothing to fall back on. @!#$ this, Im done.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:32 AM
the SSR was worthless as a truck (it could haul a duffel bag, maybe two), worthless as a car (bad gas mileage), and worthless as a performance vehicle (um, slow). if they sent over the Ute, I would definitely have to look at them.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:21 AM
^Although for the most part, what you said is true what did not help was the $40K pricetag and weight of 4500lbs which hurt its performance.
But when it was combined with a 6-speed manual and LS2, it was pretty quick for a porker.
Here is trivia for you all, GM spent its resource to build the SSR and not make the next Camaro or F-body.
Mistake?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:40 AM
G8 may be dead:

GM puts brake on rear-drive vehicles

Published April 10, 2007

General Motors has put a hold on future rear-wheel-drive vehicles.

"We've pushed the pause button. It's no longer full speed ahead," Vice Chairman Bob Lutz revealed in an interview.

Two of the most important RWD cars in the works are the Chevy Camaro sports coupe due back late in 2008 and the full-size, RWD replacement for the Chevy Impala sedan for 2009. Both are expected to be huge sellers and contribute major profits to a GM till burdened with IOUs the last few years.

"It's too late to stop Camaro, but anything after that is questionable or on the bubble," said Lutz, noting that also means Camaro derivatives -- along with a big Impala sedan, "if we call it Impala."

The RWD cars, you see, would be larger and heavier than front-wheel-drive cars or are high-performance models.

So it comes down to the matter of fuel economy. Or as Lutz says: "We don't know how to get 30 percent better mileage from" RWD cars.

That 30 percent bogey arises from a proposal by the Bush administration to raise corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) standards by 4 percent a year so cars would have to average 34 m.p.g. by 2017, up from 27.5 m.p.g. today. On top of that, the Supreme Court ruled last week that the Environmental Protection Agency can regulate carbon dioxide expelled by cars, a gas that contributes to global warming. The EPA doesn't do so now.

"We'll decide on our rear-drive cars when the government decides on CO(-2) levels and CAFE regulations," Lutz said, adding that limiting CO(-2) would increase mileage, too.

"Carbon dioxide is a natural byproduct of burning gas and directly proportional to the amount of fuel burned. If we legislate CO(-2) from cars, why not legislate we take one less breath per minute since humans release capricious amounts of CO(-2) each time they exhale?" offered a testy Lutz.

Lutz also points out that higher mileage will come at a price, with the proposal to raise CAFE certain to increase costs by as much as $5,000, which will be added to a car's sticker, an amount most consumers won't be willing to pay. There are no hard numbers for how much CAFE compliance adds to the sticker now.

"Rather than buy new, people would hang onto their old cars. We could eat the $5,000, but that would put us out of business."

Besides, those who see cars as more than just an appliance are eager for the new RWD offerings.

Among other cars affected are a high-performance midsize Pontiac, a replacement for the full-size Buick Lucerne sedan, a compact smaller than the current CTS at Cadillac and possible 300-horsepower versions of the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.

"This is very disappointing," noted Erich Merkle, director of forecasting for IRN Inc., in Grand Rapids, Mich. Most of the cars coming are necessary to GM's turnaround as showroom magnets.

"What the public buys makes CAFE work, not what the industry builds," Merkle added. "To improve mileage you change demand, not supply, by raising gas prices through taxes. But no politician is going to do that so they throw the responsibility on the back of the industry."

Lutz also objects to the talk that carmakers can easily raise mileage with a very low investment.

"Academics assure us that for $200 we can get 30 percent better mileage. If anyone can figure out how to do that for $200 -- or even for $1,000 -- I want them in my office today. Show me how to do it and we'll adopt it," he said. "If I could increase mileage by 30 percent for $200, why wouldn't I? What's my motivation not to when a gas-electric hybrid gets 27 percent better mileage and I hope someday to get the cost down to $9,000?"

Others insist that carmakers simply have to sell more small cars, such as the trio of 1-liter concepts that promise 40 m.p.g.-plus that GM unveiled at the New York Auto Show.

"Small-car mileage only counts toward CAFE if you build them here, and you can't build small cars here at a profit," Lutz said, explaining that foreign-made cars would count toward the automaker's import fleet, and its domestic fleet is where GM needs help.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/columnists/chi-0704090401apr10,0,7049242.column?coll=chi-business-hed

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:41 AM
Since the Commodore SS-V on which the G8 is based on costs 52,490$ AUS and the most basic Holden Ute is 26,990$ AUS that means a Ute costs half as much as a Commodore to make and sell for a profit. Now, let's guess that the G8 will cost around the same price as Grand Prix (around 25,000$ to 35,000$ US) So a Ute could seriously be sold here for 15,000$ to 25,000$ maybe even less. Not only that, but a lot of the costs of the G8 could be lowered in the same way a pickup truck will lower the cost of an SUV by sharing mechanical and body components but being made in bulk.

I'm thinking that if they ever make a Chevelle (or Impala or whatever) based on the Commodore we'll definitely get a Ute.

Maybe we should start a letter campaign? Worked for the Viper.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search