Picked up our new baby!! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Picked up our new baby!!
Sunday, April 08, 2007 6:09 PM
Well, its my girlfriends car really, but I drive her cars more then she does...

We just picked up an 07 VW GTI 2.0T DSG 5 door.

All I gotta say is, 2 freakin thumbs up. The engine is very responsive, boost lag is almost non-exsistent, rock solid handling with the 18's.... And the DSG....

Oh, my, god. This transmission is @!#$ amazing. Seriously, all of you guys need to go out and take one for a test drive, just to feel this tranny. Shifts are LIGHTNING fast, smooth, and the car rev-matches for you when it downshifts... The sport mode is like driving in GT3 with an auto tranny... it keeps it in the gear with the highest RPMs that it can. And the paddle shifters automaticly override the standard driving if you hit them... you dont even need to mess with the shifter in order to downshift. Oh, and its a 6 speed too.

I'll post some pics up tomorrow after I take them...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe Im just pissed, pissed that my freinds are spineless, What else would you
call abandoment some night, when you're in a fight, and they could make things right?
Spineless. I miss some of my old friends, the ones who you could count on,
bet a huge amount on, the fact that they'd always have your back... Its like a kick in
the sack, just knowing, you've got nothing to fall back on. @!#$ this, Im done.

Re: Picked up our new baby!!
Sunday, April 08, 2007 6:11 PM
Congrats on the pick up.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Sunday, April 08, 2007 7:33 PM
I heard dsg trannies were teh suck for modding.. good luck...

I think darkstars said that

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, April 08, 2007 7:42 PM
the DSG is tons of fun to drive, but wont hold up to the power levels the manuals will. I like the fart from the exhaust on high RPM WOT shifts with the DSG.

Plaid or leather?

Either way enjoy the new car.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 8:03 PM
wait wait wait wait wait
did darkstars NOT insult vws in this thread? lol
its a first! haha

anyways good pickup, i like em

Monday, April 09, 2007 8:42 AM
themarin8r wrote:wait wait wait wait wait
its a first! haha

my thoughts EXACTLY

Monday, April 09, 2007 8:59 AM
The DSGs are actually faster than the manuals. I've got a manual GTI, never got around to test driving the DSG though. Wished I would have though, I've heard they are pretty fun.

Monday, April 09, 2007 9:01 AM
LOL... its the plaid... I think it looks dumb, but my girl likes it. *shrug*

Honestly, I'm really only looking for about 250 whp out of it, because it is her car... and from what I've read, the DSG will be fine to that point.

And yea, that fart sound is pretty sweet... I've never heard anything like it before.

call abandoment some night, when you're in a fight, and they could make things right?
bet a huge amount on, the fact that they'd always have your back... Its like a kick in
Monday, April 09, 2007 10:11 AM
ur now driving a pregrant roller skate

Im out there Jerry and Im LOVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Monday, April 09, 2007 11:10 AM
CosmoKramerTheA$$Man wrote:ur now driving a pregrant roller skate

a fugly pregnant roller skate

atleast the original roller skate civic was kinda cool looking

Monday, April 09, 2007 11:41 AM
Thats ok, because its a turbocharged, faster, better handling, roomier, and nicer roller skate. Hate all you want.

Monday, April 09, 2007 11:42 AM
Congrats.

Thank God it is under warrenty.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:33 AM
i love the new GTIs. my friend has an 07 3 door, with the 2.0T and DSG. makes me wish i could afford one.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:13 PM
DroptopPaul wrote:
themarin8r wrote:wait wait wait wait wait
its a first! haha

my thoughts EXACTLY

hahah I don't just talk @!#$ about them just to talk @!#$ about them. So far the new GTI's are doing alright, the early ones had the usual new design problems, radio issues, EVAP lines line vibrating causing a crazzy rattle under the car causes its routed through the frame rail, sticky seat tracks, check engine lights for a problem that you could not possibly fix, a couple other stupid things, the intake manifold runner controls were crapping out left and right, a bunch of reflashes to fix small stuff but thats all been taken care of.

The only real common issues were really seeing is 3rd brake lights, those @!#$ idiots didn't bother to provide a way to get to it, when one little LED in it goes out the car has to go to the body shop, the spoiler is glued on with no way to get to the light without removing the spoiler form the hatch. Lately we've been seeing lots of destroyed flywheels on the DSG's, they use a dual mass flywheel and they just aren't holding up. The divertor valves are not electronicly controled and on the turbo itself, they are going bad alot. The new direct injection is causing some issues nothign major though, theres a low pressure and high pressure side on the fuel system and sensors don't seem to like to play nice but thats getting better seeing as they arre always replaced with updated stuff. But thats about i, thats all that comes to mind off hand as the common problems.

Its no racecar but it is very comfrotable and very fun to drive. HID's, heated leather, 6 speed manual or 6-speed auto DSG, Navagation, 18's, 2.0 liter direct injection turbocharged engine with variable valve timing and variable intake manifold runner lengths, its very torquey motor, the powerband is long as hell. You get the multi function display in the instrument cluster, tire presure monitoring, keyless entry, imobilizer, a decent suspension, looks are up to the individual, I used to hate the new GTI's but they have grown on me for sure.

My advise, 2.0T w/DSG is the way to go, toss on an intake, GIAC chip, and full exhaust, and then prokit springs as a minimum but the H&R coilovers are what I recomend and your good to go. Makes the car feel ALOT more nimble and makes it hide its huge wieght very well.

BTW you should see how many Passat/Toureg 3.2 V6's have blown up, those things are droping like flies hahahahah

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:24 PM
Ok, I wasn't going to elaborate on WHY we got this car... but I think you will appreciate this darkstar....

We just traded in her 03 Passat 1.8T for this. Let me tell you what went wrong between 40k-47k. First off, and this absolutely blew my mind... The fuel pump f*cking failed when we hit a pothole... took me a good half hour to figure out what was wrong after we towed it home... (that was fun, lemme tell you) I even had wiring diagrams and a DMM... all the readings were good. The damn thing siezed up(bad winding)... BAH. "Luckily" this was covered under a recall. Get it back... a month or 2 later, out of the blue, the brakes start pulsing BAAAD. (no warning... no puddles, didnt wash the car, pads were still at like 30 Ok, needs a brake job, great, that won't be so bad. WRONG. I got the lovely info that the rotors on it are too thin to be turned, and I'd have to buy new ones. @#*^$ Guess what I got quoted for a brake job on JUST the fronts? 375 #$*@ing dollars!!! So we just rode it for a bit longer like that, 'cause we didnt have the money to do it right then. (even doing it myself the rotors cost 100+ a peice) So fine... a week later, I got the dreaded click-click-click-click-click under left hand acceleration. @#$(@@(&$#(*@!@#!!!!!!!! 1 of the CVs is toast!!! Next week... the other one started clicking. @$*()&@#)$&@$&@#)($&@#$()& !!!!!! I got quoted 400 bucks to repair those. The day after I checked both CVs are realized they were both toast my sister tell me, "did you not use your brakes the whole way home?" I was like WHAT? Then I stopped and thought about it... the cruise control had just stopped working too, but I hadnt put 2 and 2 together yet.... Yup, brake light switch failed. !@*(#&!@)*#&!@)*#&!@)#(&!@#&!(#& PEICE OF !@#(& CAR!!!!

So I furiously did all the research online that I could... And found out a few interesting things. Every single one of those things is VERY common on passats of those years. Plus, the things we could look forward to: 60k-70k front and rear mains start leaking... oil gets on the timing belt and causes it to fail. 70K+ auto trannies start @!#$ting the bed. And oooo I'm glad we didnt have seat warmers in it, because the damn things short out AND LIGHT THE SEATS ON FIRE. Even when they are shut off!!!!!

We just HAD to bail on that car... and unfortunately, she absolutely love Vdubs.... so I did my research, and found her one she loved.

From what I understand, everything has been taken care of, except the fuel pump (wasnt able to keep high enough flow modded, and some even stock), the DV suckage, and the reflashes. I *think* my car came with the 020 flash... I know the 030 is out, but from what I hear a new one is coming out shortly... any insight on that Darkstars?

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:28 PM
Oh, and really all I am planning doing to this sucker is an intake (not sure which one yet, but I would LOVE to get the DB one) and I think I am going to go with the APR chip... if for no other reason because I have witnessed the fact they have the best customer support.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search