Alero sedan issues... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alero sedan issues...
Friday, March 30, 2007 9:54 PM
hey all..

I have a 2000 Alero Sedan, and as per the thread subject it's got some minor problems, the trunk lock is seized... is there any way of fixing this myself, or do I have to bring my own anal lube for my own comfort when I bring the vehicle to the dealer?

Also:
- The Mileage is getting up to 240,000 kms, I need to get the transmission devaced, but I'm hesitant to bring it to a dealer, can this be done by a regular joe in an afternoon without having to drop the transmission?
- The Coolant needs to be changed as well, but neither I nor my mechanic have the machine to change the coolant. can you not jut find the lowest point in the system, and pop a hose off, then fill the system up through the radiator or overflow tank? (I don't even remember if the overflow will do this) Do I need to put the car over my shoulder to burp it?

Finally, the ABS system hasn't worked for a while, and I've come to find out that there is a wire leading to the Driver's side front wheel speed sensor that is snapped off (it was another garage that replaced a CV boot... I don't know what the hell happened, I'm not a vehicle mechanical wizard unfortunately). Could someone let a brother know what the P/N is, and what the avg price is... and even if possible, if I could get a JBO Loud-Mouth-Know-it-all discount? *bats eyelashes* I'm pretty certain this isn't a part I can get from a place like NAPA, because I've asked my mechanic to do it and he's said he can't get teh parts from anyone but a dealer, and that it's about $190CDN (for a stupid WIRE).

I'm looking to keep the heap running for at least another year, and then keep it around for a winter vehicle or a second Vehicle. I'm a little short on cash, so I'm trying to get things done on the cheap, but I'm not interested in cutting corners.

Thanks ahead of time laddies and lasses, I appreciate it greatly.

Re: Alero sedan issues...
Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:07 AM
for any parts your might need.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214638&chapter=DP1NB0&appSectionid=18&groupid=10002&make=26&model=Alero&year=2000&catalogid=1

www.gmpartshouse.com

You should be able to do the coolant yourself. It just wont be very good for the environment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:11 AM

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:39 AM
i came to conclusions that alero's are just a rolling problem waiting to happen, atleast mine was...mainly because of the crap 2.4

as for the coolent...like you said...nothing you cant to yourself

i forget, is the rear seat release in the trunk or on the seat

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:12 PM
I've had good luck with them (all 4 of the ones I've owned Every engine type too). This one is the highest mileage, and it's had all the normal problems (brakes, upper susp. mounts... etc)

Thanks for the link Sappy

I checked with a friend that works at a dealer, but he said he's pretty sure they have to replace the rear lock assembly... the key won't even turn on it. I have the trunk release on the door, so no big deal to keep using that, but I like the idea of being able to use keys if I have to.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search