Honest opinions on a newer car - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Honest opinions on a newer car
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:19 AM
The local Pontiac dealer has an 02 Grand Am GT and and 04 Grand Am SE1. Both have the 3.4L and both are auto. I'm not too fond of the auto's, but, it's always possible to convert it later to Manual.

I was just wondering which year had better reliability, and stuff like that. I know about consumer reports, but I can't find my 06 book with all the ratings in it right now, so I'm asking.

The 02 has 74k, and the 04 has 63k.

Thanks.

Re: Honest opinions on a newer car
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:23 AM
first off dont get something you dont want. if you want a manual wait til you find it. it would be a hassel to convert everything

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:11 AM
What manual tranny could you put into that car?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:19 AM
The 02 GT's came with 5 speeds so I'd just have to find one of those to put in it.

And Stripped Cav98, I'd like to wait to find one, but I really need a new car. My fire is getting up there in mileage, and even thought it's still running strong, I just can't afford to fix everything that comes along. I'd honestly love to keep my fire, but it's just not feasible right now.

5-Speeds are very hard to come by where I am. There are very very few of them around.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:16 AM
No 99+ GAGT ever came from the factory with a manual as far as I know. I think only the 2.4L was available with that option.
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:20 PM
Well think about it this way ...

The 2002 has a good amount of miles on it, but not THAT much. On the other hand the 2004 with 63k miles on it ... somebody has drivin the hell outa that thing. You would be better off getting the 2002. Also, the first mistake that I made was just wanting a car and getting what I could see. Get something that you would like. For instance, you said that you wanted a manual ... get one with a manual and the whole swap deal. With the amount of research you could have done finding a car with a manual would be alot easier than swaping the whole transmission out.

dan

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 1:23 PM
Brian Quinn wrote:No 99+ GAGT ever came from the factory with a manual as far as I know. I think only the 2.4L was available with that option.

He's right...I did this research about three years ago. Actually GM has not had a front wheel drive V6 manual transmission car in .... like two decades. It actually kinda sucks when you think of cars like the nissan maxima and altima with the 6 speed 3.5...if only GM would do that. I guess the have the G6 GXP, but its so hard to find a manual model.

The only grand am models from 1988 on that came in stick in chronological order are the 2.5 iron duke, 2.3 quad, 2.4 TC, and ecotec before they ended production.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 1:58 PM
oldskool wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote: I guess the have the G6 GXP, but its so hard to find a manual model..

G6 GXP isnt out, but it wont have a manual at all. The current GTP doesnt have a manual. The 06 GTP came with the manual, and the 07 GT with the 'sport package' (which is the same as an 06 GTP) has the manual option. But I believe they are going to stop making them with 6-speeds all together. The transmission sucks ass and I dont think the demand was what they were expecting. But you are right that it is very hard to find one.
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:08 PM
just look out for the intake manifold gaskets. THose motors had a big problem with those giving out and mixing your fluids... Just a heads up. and Brian Quinn is right, no manual for that model car unless is was the 4 cyl. I had an '02 gt w/3.4 and it was great, but I ditched it (with 80,000 miles) before the intake manifold gave me any problems.

by the way, my mother had that gasket job done on her lumina and it was several hundred bucks. that was about at 120,000 miles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:09 PM

Best quarter mile to date - 15.750 @ 85.82
"We ride together, we die together. Bad Boys for life"

Nimbus 9, some friends of my that rock! Click and experience them for yourself
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:51 PM
dont touch em would be my advice. I had the LIM failure twice (Lower intake manifold). There is a class action lawsuit out on Gm for this right now. I got stuck with a $2100 repair bill 3 months after my warranty ran out on my Alero (3.4L auto). it ended up going again 40,000kms later and i just auctioned the car.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:06 PM
Yep I had the LIM failure on my malibu also. Glad I got rid of that thing. I <3 my volkswagen.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:03 PM
Alright, how about an '02 Grand Prix GT. Hows the reliability on that? I looked at edmunds.com and they said there weren't too many problems. It's got the 3.8L, but, I don't know if it's supercharged. Anyone know?
The grand prix is about one of the only car's I would ever drive with an Automatic, besides trucks. I'm waiting on a test drive, but I hear they're pretty @!#$ quick.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:34 PM
The Gt with the 3.8 is not that exciting stock. Its the GTP's that are supercharged and those are pretty @!#$in fast..

The GT is a 3500 pound car, and that 3.8 makes 200hp N/A.

Quote:

The GT offers 200 hp (the same output as in '02) and a top speed of 108 mph (174 km/h) - getting roughly half the way there in 8.5 seconds (0-60)

^^ i'd hardly call that fast

Friday, March 16, 2007 3:31 AM
idk, id love to have a GTP but none were around when i needed a car. but i do love my GT

Friday, March 16, 2007 5:06 AM
IMO the grand prix with the 3.8 is an excellent car. The GTP model is supercharged. However if you want a manual your going to be unhappy with an auto. I will never buy an automatic transmission vehicle if I can avoid it. Any particular reaason why your looking at larger cars?

Remember tho even buying a used vehicle you have maintenance to worry about.

Whats your budget and how are your feeling on non GM products?

-Chris

Friday, March 16, 2007 7:10 AM
Yea, my brother said he would never buy an automatic, but then he got a truck, and hasn't looked back. I know he misses it on certain days, but 90% of the time it's just nice to get in and push a gas pedal.

Honestly, focus on the rest of the driving experience with the car. How's the handling, the ride, build quality, ect. I think you'll be happier getting those things instead of a stick.

I, of course, will never own an automatic .

O noes!
Friday, March 16, 2007 7:34 AM
N-Bodies are junk.

Pick up a W-Body as already mentioned

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:37 AM
JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE wrote:N-Bodies are junk.

thats was my choice, i never looked back

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:57 AM
IamRascal wrote:IMO the grand prix with the 3.8 is an excellent car. The GTP model is supercharged. However if you want a manual your going to be unhappy with an auto. I will never buy an automatic transmission vehicle if I can avoid it. Any particular reaason why your looking at larger cars?

Remember tho even buying a used vehicle you have maintenance to worry about.

Whats your budget and how are your feeling on non GM products?

Non GM would be nice, but I'm really not feeling the imports. I know they have great things going for them, but, honest to god, I'm a die hard Chevy guy when it comes to cars (And by Chevy, I mean GM). Trucks, I'm a die hard Chrysler fan.

I'm looking into bigger cars because I need more space. Don't get me wrong, I love my little fire. But, I need something bigger.

I'm think as a budget somewhere in the nature of 10k to 12k, that way I don't have to get a loan. I hate loans, and my credit score ain't the greatest. I'd like a 6 cyl but it's not the most important thing. A two door would also be nice, but again, not imperative. I think Ive discovered when it comes to the transmission thing, I like standards in smaller engines, (Things like 2.0 4's and engines that are smaller,) that way instead of waiting for the automatic to catch up with my foot being on the floor, I can just drop it and go. When I get into larger engines like bigger 6's and 8's, I like Auto. Except when it's a car like the corvette or the viper. At that point, it's No stick, no go.
Anyway.. I guess what I'm saying is this: I'm open to things. A midsize sedan would be great, or a larger 2-door coupe. Something with get up and go to would be good too. If the engine is a four, a stick would be great. If it's a larger 6 or 8, then auto. Remember, I'll be driving this car every day, all day (I wish I could live in it)

JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE wrote:N-Bodies are junk.

Don't kill me, but, what is a w-body? I'm still learning all the body styles. I'm getting there...

Friday, March 16, 2007 9:12 AM
w-body: grand prix, regal, monte carlo, impala, lumina, intrigue, and cutless

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:29 AM
stick maxima, 99 and up or 02 and up for the 3.5, great cars

women are like cars you have to test drive the new one before you trade in the old one

Sunday, March 18, 2007 11:10 AM
I Just got an offer for a trade on my fire. He wants to trade me a 1995 Eagle Talon TSI with a manual, body kit, CF hood, rims, Full turbo kit (I don't know what kind of turbo it is, forgot to ask). He said it's got 100k on the chassis, and with the engine swap's got 20k.
I haven't seen it yet, but if I like it, and it all looks good, I just might trade. I realize it's just an eclipse, but with all the stuff he said that's done to it, I'd trade (he said he bought it off his buddy, fixed the body work from the kit, and now is selling it. He wants Domestic, and he's new to the "World of Ricers" as he said)

Sunday, March 18, 2007 11:49 AM
who would trade a talon with all that work for a J-body?

Get it mechanically inspected if your gonna do this. My bet is that car is pretty beat up (engine wise) or has some problems. Dont get ripped off. Personally i'd buy an N-body before someone else's riced out/beat on tuner car

Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:59 PM
MarioXpress wrote:who would trade a talon with all that work for a J-body?

Get it mechanically inspected if your gonna do this. My bet is that car is pretty beat up (engine wise) or has some problems. Don't get ripped off. Personally i'd buy an N-body before someone else's riced out/beat on tuner car

That's exactly What I was gonna do. He called me and asked if I would trade, and We started talking about what he was trading. When he said Eagle Talon TSI... I was thinking, either your very stupid, or it's royally @!#$ up.
So, we'll see what it looks like. I'll probably ask him to bring the car over to my buddy's shop, and have him take a look at it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search