Your thoughts? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Your thoughts?
Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:07 AM
Well, as most of you know I totaled the 91 Z28 Camaro and its gone =/ stupid deer. Anyways, before long i'll be in the market for a new vehicle. I still have a little while but i'm doing my homework way ahead of time. I want the right car. Well my point is i've been heart set on an LS1 camaro for a while now. However, lately I have really been looking into a T-Type car particularly the grand national. For those of you who dont know a T-type car is exactly the same in every way as the GN as far as the drivetrain goes. I've been looking around and found quiet a few GN's in my price range. For the most part most are in pretty damn good shape.

So what are your guys thoughts on them? If I get one it will be either an 86 or 87. My wife hates them. She says they are ghetto fabulous, lol. Oh well, thats why she has her car and I have mine.

Re: Your thoughts?
Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:18 AM
Turbo T/A?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:24 AM
t type... are cool

but there is just something about a GN that makes it soooo much cooler..

i will own one one day

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:42 AM
id rather have the LS1 personally....styling much nicer on the car itself...but if you just want a drag monster...go GN they look so much better and hold their value better I'd assume

Saturday, March 10, 2007 6:38 PM
Sappy96 wrote:Turbo T/A?

I would love to, but they are a lot more expensive and a lot harder to find.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 8:21 PM
Whats your price range?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:52 PM
hows about a 92 GTA, with a cammed LS1
Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:41 AM
Sappy96 wrote:Whats your price range?

Its hard to say. I'm looking at buying a house right now. It all depends on how that goes. I wont settle for a car because I dont want to spend the money though. If I want an LS1 camaro i'll hold out a little bit need it be. I know if its a camaro it will be a 99 or higher. Staying away from the 98. I've seen them going around 7k and up for a decent one. I have no problem swinging a price up to 10k. I've seen T-types going around 5ish. A decent amount of grand nationals around the 8-10k price range. Of course there is always exceptions to everyone. Some a lot nicer going for a lot higher and some with problems going for a lot lower.

I guess its safe to say my price range is around 10k. Well, 10k max actually.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:01 PM
1986-87 Buick Turbos are dirt cheap because everyone kept theirs. Unlike the 60's-70's musclecars where people used them like old toilet paper, cars in the 80's were always garage kept and babied, especially GN's. I say go for it. Odds are good that if the car looks clean it is clean. It's a bit on the heavy side, but it makes up for it by being fast and comfy. Sort of like a Cadillac CTS is today.

If I could make one suggestion. Look for a Regal Custom Turbo instead of a T-Type or Grand National. It's the same car only it's much rarer and it makes for a great sleeper. Also, you could probably get one cheap because it doesn't look like Darth Vader's personal transportation. But if you'd rather go for the uber-cool GN I understand.

One thing that I always personally wanted to do was grab an old El Camino or GMC Caballero, paint it black, and stick a Regal nosecone on it, building it up to look like a GN Camino so I could use it to tow the actual Grand National to the track. Wouldn't that kick ass?

Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:57 PM
For the love of god...if you are gonna get a GN or T-T...dont get a 'hot air' year.

'02 S-10 ZR-2 & '89 Mustang LX Hatch

Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:09 PM
Super Coupe FTW!!!!!

LOL

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:13 PM
Jookycola wrote:Super Coupe FTW!!!!!

LOL

Ford FTL.

heh

'02 S-10 ZR-2 & '89 Mustang LX Hatch

Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:00 PM
Lash wrote:For the love of god...if you are gonna get a GN or T-T...dont get a 'hot air' year.

86/87 T-Type's were intercooled.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:27 PM
Actually I believe the differences between Gn t type and GN are the GN has a better gearing and stiffer suspension and its lighter.. I have a Buick regal and I swapped an 85 Gn motor fully built in to it with the 2004R trans too. I say get any year T type. and its easy to make the Hot air ones inter cooled anyways. but stay Fuel injected so anything about 85 and your safe..

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:34 AM
Ken, I was looking at the differences earlier. I'm pretty sure its the same gearing. You may be right about the suspension, but I said drive train. Suspension isn't part of the drive train GN or not it'll get new suspension so i'm not worried.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:03 PM
Lash wrote:
Jookycola wrote:Super Coupe FTW!!!!!

LOL

Ford FTL.

heh

Yeah, your probably right.
LOL

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search