V6 Corvette Next For Kappa Platform - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
V6 Corvette Next For Kappa Platform
Saturday, October 21, 2006 9:08 AM
V6 Corvette rumors are rumored to be true!
Posted Oct 16th 2006 5:54PM by John Neff

Rumors of a V6-powered Corvette model have been floating around for years but weren't taken very seriously until Motor Trend decided to spend some ink on it a few issues ago and predict the six-cylinder model would revive the "Sting Ray" name. The model would basically be a Chevy-branded version of the Kappa roadster that GM has liberally passed out to such brands as Pontiac (Solstice), Saturn (Sky) and Opel (GT). Chevy's version would be different in that power would come from a V6 rather than an inline-four cylinder, and rumor has it that it would be badged a Corvette. Kind of sounds like a long shot, but Rick "Corvette" Conti, the #1 Corvette dealer in Ohio (w00t!), cites sources somewhere in the universe that tell him the rumors are true and coming sooner than we think. He says the "Sting Ray" name, however, will not be used on this chuckable roadster that should come with a 6-speed automatic and a price tag right below $30,000. He also hints Chevy may drop a bomb in the form of this V6 Kappa at the Detroit auto show in January.

Personally, while a V6-powered Chevy Kappa car will be driving through my dreams tonight, it will most certainly not be wearing a Corvette badge. It's bad enough that Corvette faithful have to share platforms and parts with Cadillac (economies of scale, blah, blah, blah), but the dilution of this iconic car has to stop there. Nothing good will come of calling a V6-powered Pontiac Solstice clone a Corvette. Trust us. Call it the Equinabu, Impaleo or whatever, but don't call it a Vette. And what's with pimping out the Kappa roadster concept to every brand that's still breathing. Two in the U.S. is enough, how about a Kappa coupe for Chevy instead?

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!

Re: V6 Corvette Next For Kappa Platform
Saturday, October 21, 2006 9:12 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

IT will never happen.. Some one photoshoped the Flags on a SKY.. Vette will never go the route of a "Lesser car" TRUST ME!!! They have the blue devil comeing out soon 650-700 hp SuperCharged C6 Z06.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 9:24 AM
It ain't going to happen.
Especially since the Camaro is comig in late 2008.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Saturday, October 21, 2006 9:26 AM
That won't happen maybe if they made a C6 with a V6 engine I could beleive but giving a totally differant car the corvette badge no way gm doesn't eat enough paint chips to let that happen.
Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:32 AM
bwahahahahahahhaha
that pic is just a sky with flags as mentioned
the days of a v6 corvette will never return
unless its a twin turboed beast, but thats not the GM way

Saturday, October 21, 2006 12:23 PM
if your gonna photoshop the badge on there....at least get it centered on there.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 12:27 PM
Maybe they ment Chevette? That would be way more plausable.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:35 PM
Hell is also freezing over. It's true

Saturday, October 21, 2006 2:14 PM
your retarded for posting this.

-Borsty
Saturday, October 21, 2006 3:51 PM
lol

Saturday, October 21, 2006 4:00 PM
As much as I want to say this in untrue ... but it COULD happen ... just think of it this way ... GM came out with a cadillac less than 30k and sold ALOT of them. I wouldn't put it past myself to think that they would make a v6 vette.

dan

Saturday, October 21, 2006 4:51 PM
dubduce18s wrote:As much as I want to say this in untrue ... but it COULD happen ... just think of it this way ... GM came out with a cadillac less than 30k and sold ALOT of them. I wouldn't put it past myself to think that they would make a v6 vette.

dan

yeah they COULD also make a twin turbo v8 4x4 cobalt, I hope you see where I'm going with this. GM is definetly dumb more often than not, but no way in hell would they make some half ass @!#$ty V6 car, and call it a corvette. Anyone who even remotely thinks this is possible and that GM has considered it is a @!#$ moron, end of story.
Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:11 PM
ahah GM would NEVER!!! put a V6 in their version of a "super car" even more so now after the HUGE!!!! sucsess of the C6 and even more so the C6 Z06

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:45 PM
Wasn't the C1 and inline 6?

Not really important...but just curious

Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:08 PM
A corvette with a V-6? Whats next, a cavy with a lawn mower engine?

Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:21 PM
BlackyK wrote:A corvette with a V-6? Whats next, a cavy with a lawn mower engine?

They've already done that. They called it the 2.2l

Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:30 PM
And Pilz-E with the assist
It didn't get any easier than that did it? lol

Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:40 PM
yes the 1953 corvette roadster was only avaliable with the "Blue Flame" Inline 6 and powerglide 2 speed automatic.

<~~~~PWN3D!!
Sunday, October 22, 2006 5:45 AM
Pilz-E wrote:
BlackyK wrote:A corvette with a V-6? Whats next, a cavy with a lawn mower engine?

They've already done that. They called it the 2.2l

LOL

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Sunday, October 22, 2006 6:25 AM
yeah they did have an inline 6 in a vette before

but i agree they shouldnt called a soltice/sky a vette

now if chevy does do a version of the kappa

make it a lightning

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:18 AM
did anyone even read the last paragraph in the OP? i just posted it up cuz i found this article interesting and wanted to see everyone elses opinion. i don't necessarily believe it (even though stranger and stupider things have happened).

What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:30 AM

SO EVERYTHING!
Sunday, October 22, 2006 8:14 AM
Well If its going to be a Sting Ray, give it a V8 and be done with it. Unless its uber high compression (hell even then) I wouldn't bother with it.

And like someone said up there with the new Camaro coming out, they are not going to demote the Corvette

Sunday, October 22, 2006 8:22 AM
I think there is another possibility. That the Corvette is becoming a division rather than a nameplate, kind of like what happened to Hummer. GM has been wanting to do this for years in order to pair up Corvette and Cadillac for high end luxury dealerships without the stigma of low-end Chevys in the same room. You'd have the Corvette Sports Car and the Corvette Stingray as two seperate models. The Camaro would then take the place that Corvette held for Chevy.

That's a lot more likely than two Corvettes on two different platforms.
Sunday, October 22, 2006 8:41 AM
make it a Nova

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search