Adapter Lets Any Car Use Ethanol - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adapter Lets Any Car Use Ethanol
Friday, October 20, 2006 1:17 PM
Brazilian company ABC Esso will soon sell an adapter in the U.S. Abcesso that lets any gasoline vehicle burn up to 100 percent ethanol.

The AutoFFV works with the vehicle's existing sensors to detect the ethanol/gasoline ratio and instructs the engine to operate accordingly. The company has developed adapters for Ford, GM, Honda, Mazda, Volvo and Toyota vehicles.

The company claims there are no cold start problems when using E85. ABC Esso says some fuel pumps that are not so ethanol-tolerant may have to be replaced, and recommends that owners replace their fuel filters after the product is installed because the ethanol will scrub out impurities that will be caught in the filter.

According to Vidar Lura, managing director of Abcesso, the product will sell for between $500 and $900, and the company is currently setting up distribution agreements in the U.S. He told me the product is used in Brazil, which primarily uses ethanol as a fuel.

If this works as advertised (no endorsement implied) it could be a big hit here with hybrid owners and others who are concerned about the environment and prefer domestically produced fuel.

Blog post: http://blog.wired.com/cars/2006/10/adapter_lets_an.html
Blog post: http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/10/19/brazilian-technology-company-to-export-ethanol-enabling-add-on/

Company home: http://www.abcesso.com/

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: Adapter Lets Any Car Use Ethanol
Friday, October 20, 2006 1:22 PM
oh hell yes.

i would grab one of these up in a HEARTBEAT for $500

Creative Draft Art Media Forums
Friday, October 20, 2006 2:04 PM
woooooooooooo hooooooooooo , my car can be drunk , lol

Friday, October 20, 2006 2:11 PM
"AutoFFV™ does not work with LOW Ohms impedance injectors. "

kinda limits it dont it?

either way kinda cool

I may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
Friday, October 20, 2006 2:12 PM
Guess our Pre 99 guys are screwed, it says it wont work for low impedence injectors..

Friday, October 20, 2006 2:28 PM
s'ok... nearest etanol to me is well over 2 hours away. sorry, but i'll keep my 40 mpg rather than going out of the way to run a fuel that wouldnt work w/ my injectors anyway.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, October 20, 2006 6:36 PM
$500-$900 for the adaptor, and thats not even counting the new fuel pump or filter . . . Just to use E85. E85 burns faster then normal gas anyways, and it costs less. In turn, you end up spending the same, or a tad more. Meh, maybe if I owned an E85 car, I'd be able to see the difference. Any insight about this?
Friday, October 20, 2006 6:55 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:s'ok... nearest etanol to me is well over 2 hours away. sorry, but i'll keep my 40 mpg rather than going out of the way to run a fuel that wouldnt work w/ my injectors anyway.

What car are you getting 40mpg with?

Friday, October 20, 2006 7:25 PM
96 2.2 5 speed. lots of highway driving, and a fresh rebuild. mmm... new rings, pistons, gaskets and bearings plus not BEATING on it and keeping the oil clean nets me between a 35-40 mpg 2.2.

Friday, October 20, 2006 7:56 PM
i feel for the people who buy this and get in an accident before they make back the savings...

BTW, you know damn well if it says 500-900, it'll be $999 for the GM compatible version...

Friday, October 20, 2006 8:19 PM
Elias A wrote:you know damn well if it says 500-900, it'll be $999 for the GM compatible version...

agreed

Saturday, October 21, 2006 8:07 AM
doesnt e85 mess up conventional seals and stuff in the lines?

also, the whole point to e85 is to use our own form of energy vs foreign oil. with today's current technology, you pay about the same amount of money in using either one. this will be big once e85 becomes mainstream, which wont be for a while.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Saturday, October 21, 2006 9:32 AM
There is only one ethenol station near me and that's an hour I beleive so this isn't too helpful yet. I'd look into switching if the fuel was conviniently available to me.
Saturday, October 21, 2006 9:33 AM
That is just great. :-)
E85... yes it cosumes a little more then using Gasoline, but it is almost unnoticeable. Instead of hitting 25mpgs you will be at 22-24mpgs. But to my understaning it is a lot cheaper per gallon, roughly 50-80 cents cheaper.
The only problem so far is that I have to travel 5-6 hrs to get it as Florida just got its first public E85 station this month. :-(

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:39 AM
in alot of cars you actually get more power out of them when running e85+

Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:44 AM
Viper98912 wrote:doesnt e85 mess up conventional seals and stuff in the lines?

I've read it eats away at the rubber seals in our fuel lines, which is why its strongly recommended not to use it in out cars. Thats why this whole thing seems awkward to me... One minute it eats seals and can cause serious engine failure, then suddenly an adaptor comes out and we can use it completely normal... Doesn't make all that much sense unless the adaptor comes complete with fuel lines, pump, , etc.
Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:47 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
Elias A wrote:you know damn well if it says 500-900, it'll be $999 for the GM compatible version...

agreed

@!#$ i dont even know of there is an e85 station within 20 miles of college and 100 miles of my home

I may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
Saturday, October 21, 2006 2:49 PM
HAHA EVERY GAS PLACE IN TOWN HAS E85 SO IT WOULDNT BE TO BAD.....IM IN SODAK THO SO I D K WE MAKE THE @!#$ HAHAHA

Thanx Charles
Sunday, October 22, 2006 5:08 PM
Nathaniel O'Flaherty wrote:in alot of cars you actually get more power out of them when running e85+

That is correct.
In Brazil where they use 100% sugar based ethanol, there Ford says on their Focus for example is, if you use ethanol, you'd gain 10 more ponies compared to the same car but using gasoline.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, October 22, 2006 6:55 PM
^ yeah thats what i thought i remember

thats sweet.

also abou eating fuel lines. it does, im sure part of the adapter set up will different fuel lines. thats what diesel guys have to switch out when they switch to biodiesel. fuel pump, filter and lines.

Saturday, November 04, 2006 1:47 PM
It drops your mileage quite a bit and in many places cost the exact same or very close to regular gas even w/ the subsidies so there is no way you would ever save money on it. However, for you forced induction guys it is 105 octane race gas availabe at pump prices. Theres been alot of turbo cars making huge power off it.

You don't need this adapter to convert a car. Just appropriate software/injectors to richen up about an extra third, compatible fuel pump, fuel rail and make sure you have appropriate gas tank (plastic), rubber seals etc....

Saturday, November 04, 2006 2:06 PM
^ it only drops mileage somewhere around 2-4 mpg

and the only reason it cost about the same as petrol is because of supply and demand. when there are more cars wanting it = more production of it = more sales = more competition = lower prices

because of the low sales volumes nwo compared to petrol they cant afford to sell it a ton cheaper

if you want to see how cheap it can be check out how much brazil is paying per gallon for theirs.

Saturday, November 04, 2006 2:25 PM
I'd like to see what the turbo cav does on alcohol

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search