Drove my Mustang to storage area... holy s**t - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drove my Mustang to storage area... holy s**t
Saturday, September 02, 2006 5:10 PM

I had forgotten how screwed up it was. There was so much shimmy and odd grinding noises coming from the right front end that I was seriously concerned with the right front tire flying off. Not to mention that I had to wrestle the steering wheel to keep it on the road. As soon as I would let it go (especially at any speed over 20) the wheels would turn sharply towards the right and throw the car towards the ditch. All four tires are balder than Vin Diesel.

Oh did I mention that there's no clutch? Shifting into second gear was FUN! *grinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd* and with the power it has this made it extra fun. Car was all over the road. I was on a steep hill and some jackoff started going slow and I almost rear ended him because I couldn't slow down, if I stopped on that hill I was dead. I figured that I'd rather smash his car than stop.

Also, what the hell was that weird smell? Smelled like prestone was shooting all over the place? Oh well. I had to recharge the battery all day because the car doesn't have a working alternator. I also had to guess my speed because there's no working gauges. I kept the windows open so I wouldn't suffocate from the exhaust fumes shooting straight into the car.
I didn't listen to the radio because this car is LOUD. The exhaust is disconnected from the engine/manifold and it was so damn loud that I couldn't hear the Harley-Davidson behind me.

14 miles of this crap. By the end my nerves were shot. I didn't have any plates on it or insurance.

What a ride though. It's fast and fun this thing. Too bad it's junk.

Re: Drove my Mustang to storage area... holy s**t
Saturday, September 02, 2006 10:38 PM
Would you expect anything else from a Rustang?

Get rid of it

Sunday, September 03, 2006 12:06 AM
JerseyKid (Boosted&JDM) wrote:Would you expect anything else from a Rustang?

Get rid of it

yes
and well
yes

Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:03 AM
HAH! I'm getting a convertible as soon as I find a rust free one. This car's got 300,000+ kilometers on it and the engine still purrs like a kitten. I'm keeping it for the wheels, T5 tranny and black interior.

However, yes they do rust A LOT. And stay away from automatics. Those trannies are junk.
Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:58 AM
sweet car dude.

My other car is an interceptor.
Sunday, September 03, 2006 11:15 AM
Why put something into storage and pay fees for that, when the car itself needs a lot of work and will cost you money if you ever want to drive it??
Sunday, September 03, 2006 1:22 PM
Exodus 259 wrote:Why put something into storage and pay fees for that, when the car itself needs a lot of work and will cost you money if you ever want to drive it??

Whoaaaaa there... fees? No, the "storage" I spoke of was it being parked in the woods. This winter I'll put some logs under it to keep it dry. That's it.

Car needs more than a lot of work and I probably will never drive it again but the interior (apart from the front seats) is in great shape and it's black (most Mustangs have either a crappy grey or tan interior), it's got a manual tranny so if I ever get the bad luck to buy another automatic I'll be able to swap it. It's got 4 good daily driving 15 inch rims AND it has a complete and installed 2.3 Turbo engine that works.

So, if I buy a rinky dinky 4 banger automatic convertible Mustang made between 1983 and 1993 with a bland grey interior I have all the parts to make it into something that will go really fast and be really cool. Oh, and the hood, trunk and side windows are in great shape.

I dunno, I just don't like throwing anything away that could be useful.
Sunday, September 03, 2006 1:31 PM
what? 2.3 turbo in that year?
i thought that it was only svo's that had a 2.3 turbo
and that was mid-80's

Sunday, September 03, 2006 2:11 PM
My 1983 GT has no rust on it. Paint is faded, but no rust.

I do agree that the Automatics are junk but so are the T5's in stock form. You need to build them up so they can handle the power.

Yours is worth holding onto just for the EFI setup alone.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 2:25 PM
themarin8r wrote:what? 2.3 turbo in that year?
i thought that it was only svo's that had a 2.3 turbo
and that was mid-80's

You are correct. However, I found a Turbo engine for 100$ (Was originally looking just for Turbo pistons since the plain jane 2.3 is 95% identical to the Turbo and just needs pistons to add mucho boost) I already had a Garrett T3 that someone gave me and I found a computer online for a 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo.

When the really crappy automatic gave out on the original 4 banger I was ripping everything out anyway so it wasn't a big deal to swap the engine in at the same time that I was installing a T5 manual. Not a bad deal for under 1000$ eh?
Sunday, September 03, 2006 3:10 PM
Do you want to sell the interior...lol???

5pointO

Monday, September 04, 2006 10:41 AM
ooooooo, LOL. I thought you meant put it into one of those pay-for storage places. *whew*. Now it makes sense, lol
Monday, September 04, 2006 2:58 PM
Gotta love the fox body stangs. Good luck with your search.

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Monday, September 04, 2006 3:14 PM
yea she looks a little rough, good luck ever getting that one back up

Monday, September 04, 2006 4:29 PM
so basically you drove a car highly unfit for the road with no plates or insurance?

your a quick one.

-Borsty
Monday, September 04, 2006 8:03 PM
I'm sure someone would want to make a racecar out of it just because it's a notch...

They did make a mustang gt with the turbo 2.3. A guy at my work had an 84? he said it was pretty rare(not an svo)
Monday, September 04, 2006 8:14 PM
Robtco99 wrote:I'm sure someone would want to make a racecar out of it just because it's a notch...

They did make a mustang gt with the turbo 2.3. A guy at my work had an 84? he said it was pretty rare(not an svo)

Yeah, the 2.3 Turbo stayed popular in the Mustang from about 1979 to 1984 because the V8 was so underpowered. You actually went faster with the small four banger than with the 5.0

By 1985 though the power difference was much greater and the V8 was a much better deal, which is why the GT Turbo dissapeared and the SVO never sold well.

I could probably fix most of it, but that would require a rotissery type restoration. Since there's about 2 million of these suckers (production from 1979 to 1993) on the road, it's easier to just buy another one than fix this. I'll still miss the sucker. It was a fun car to drive.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search