GM - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM
Friday, June 30, 2006 7:17 AM
Big GM investor urges Nissan-Renault alliance
well read msn front page if they team up who knows what the future will hold.

Re: GM
Friday, June 30, 2006 8:19 AM
A link would have been helpful for those reading this in a few days when its no longer on the msnbc front page.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13630565/

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, June 30, 2006 8:34 AM
thanks but does this belong in other cars maybe off topic but i thought because we are pretty much Bow tie or Pontiac lovers so a union would probley affect us all especially in the after market. just think a nismo modified cobalt sold like the nismo sentra. I really don't know if this is a bad thing or good.

Friday, June 30, 2006 8:47 AM
ehh i saw the headline liek 10 minutes ago and jjust skipped over, who gives a @!#$ honestly.

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:00 AM
Rosario wrote:ehh i saw the headline liek 10 minutes ago and jjust skipped over, who gives a @!#$ honestly.

I do

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:24 AM
In my opinion, it seems like Renault/Nissan would gain a lot more from the merger than GM would (most specifically Fuel Cell technology).

I think this is a bad move on GM's part. I don't think Kirk Krekorian is seeing the whole picture here.

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:30 AM
The Kerk'ster > Everyone.

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.
Friday, June 30, 2006 11:14 AM
GM can loose in this deal but it can gain aftermarket support. lets face it GM's technology is leading edge but their abilitie to produce a product that is reliable they have had issues. this merger can boost their image give them access to some impreessive dohc technology and save each company millions in R&D. plus an alliance could give gm an edge over toyota increasing market share.

Friday, June 30, 2006 6:42 PM
Aftermarket doesn't net GM or any manufacturer a nickle. Once the Car is sold, that's when GM makes the entirety of it's money off that car (unless you lease and then, that's a different matter entirely). GM already has excellent DOHC technology (unless the Ecotec is bad engine?) and has lower engine problems across the board (and that's a huge board let's not forget) than all other manufacturers (I don't remember the article specifically, but it was in C&D a little while ago). How would a merger help GM when it would cease to exist as it's own entity?

GM needs better planning and business practices, not a merger. Dumping one of the most profitable divisions (GM Mortgages? Help me here) was a bone-head maneuver and a half.

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Friday, June 30, 2006 6:47 PM
Sieg Heil GM.

Im faster then you - thats me being cocky
Im faster then you - thats me being honest
Friday, June 30, 2006 6:49 PM
JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE wrote:Sieg Heil GM.

In Communist Russia, GM drives YOU!

Friday, June 30, 2006 7:42 PM
^^ hahahahahahaha. Simpsons right?

BTW can someone please show me how to quote
Friday, June 30, 2006 9:14 PM
you click the button on the person you want to quote
the one that says quote

Friday, June 30, 2006 9:30 PM
Ohh lol thanks. Pretty obvious
Friday, June 30, 2006 11:22 PM
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
GM needs better planning and business practices, not a merger. Dumping one of the most profitable divisions (GM Mortgages? Help me here) was a bone-head maneuver and a half.

They only are selling off 51% they haven't completed that yet. That will come by December I think. It is going to sell for more than $12 Billion, But GM will still be able to get 49% of the profit.

Saturday, July 01, 2006 1:22 PM
This makes proud to be American. As if i didn't have a enought time swalloing the Germans buying Dodge. Now the French and the jappanese want to buy Gm. Import drivers should just drop dead then may be Gm would turn a profit and I wouldn't have to deal with this. well now we can all Drive are Camrys with the little american Flag on the back. I hope the world ends tommrow. My world ended today
God Bless the usa and all of the people making payments on a Foriegn brand. i guess the Usa didn't win world war 2 after all
Saturday, July 01, 2006 3:31 PM
um

wow. i hope that's a load of sarcasm.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain
Saturday, July 01, 2006 10:24 PM
mrcivilservent wrote:This makes proud to be American. As if i didn't have a enought time swalloing the Germans buying Dodge. Now the French and the jappanese want to buy Gm. Import drivers should just drop dead then may be Gm would turn a profit and I wouldn't have to deal with this. well now we can all Drive are Camrys with the little american Flag on the back. I hope the world ends tommrow. My world ended today
God Bless the usa and all of the people making payments on a Foriegn brand. i guess the Usa didn't win world war 2 after all

If all the import owners died the 19 people left alive on the planet would not be enough to keep GM afloat.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Saturday, July 01, 2006 11:16 PM
NfamousZ24 wrote:
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:

They only are selling off 51% they haven't completed that yet. That will come by December I think. It is going to sell for more than $12 Billion, But GM will still be able to get 49% of the profit.

Would it not make sense to keep 100% of the profit AND 100% of the division?

Seriously, you clip the dead weight FIRST, not the money makers...

Sunday, July 02, 2006 7:07 AM
Quote:

Seriously, you clip the dead weight FIRST, not the money makers...

You'd think that would be the way to go, but corporations often do the opposite - Look at Bombardier; they sold off the recreational vehicles divisions last year(Snowmobiles, ATV's, watercraft and Rotax Engines). According to the news reports I'd heard, that was ont ONLY profitable division. They wanted the capital from it, to put into the aerospace and transit divisions, in hopes of making them turn a profit. I have no idea if it worked; All I care is that I can still get a Ski Doo with a Rotax engine

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."
Sunday, July 02, 2006 6:27 PM
If all the import owners died the 19 people left alive on the planet would not be enough to keep GM afloat.
to the guy with the red roller skate

Id rather be one in 19 left on this planet and have NO GM then live on a planty with @s$holes like you and still not have Gm around

GOD Bless America
where every thing is for sale

Sunday, July 02, 2006 9:43 PM
Craig: it has and it hasn't.

Bombardier and Bombardier Pleasure Craft (at least IIRC it's called that), have done moderately well as seperate entities.

The industrial transport division is doing okay, but they've lost out on a few light-rail contracts in Europe and North America, and Asia is pretty much lost to them as there are protectionist policies in place in bloody every country there. The Aircraft company is doing very well still... it's one of the premier marques in the industry, basically, you get Jetstream under Bombardier in the small jet market.

The Pleasure Craft group has been doing well because of the Rotax engines, and are soon going to be starting an ultra-light aircraft division IIRC.

Sunday, July 02, 2006 9:46 PM
mrcivilservent wrote:If all the import owners died the 19 people left alive on the planet would not be enough to keep GM afloat.
to the guy with the red roller skate

Id rather be one in 19 left on this planet and have NO GM then live on a planty with @s$holes like you and still not have Gm around

GOD Bless America
where every thing is for sale

hahahahahahahaha
oooooo-kayyyy?

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Monday, July 03, 2006 4:37 PM
Quote:

at least IIRC it's called that

All the recreational vehicle devisions were bought by the Bombardier family (Aparently the corporation isn't in the family's hands anymore); it is now called Bombardier Recreational Products(BRP).

Quote:

The industrial transport division is doing okay, but they've lost out on a few light-rail contracts in Europe and North America, and Asia is pretty much lost to them as there are protectionist policies in place in bloody every country there. The Aircraft company is doing very well still... it's one of the premier marques in the industry, basically, you get Jetstream under Bombardier in the small jet market.

I was always under the impression that they were doing well in terms of units sold (they also have Canadair, which produces the CL 215/415 and the Otter series, among others), but just weren't turning a profit. I could be wrong, I don't know.

Quote:

The Pleasure Craft group has been doing well because of the Rotax engines, and are soon going to be starting an ultra-light aircraft division IIRC.

The engines certainly help, but there's more to it than that. Take the Rev chassis snowmobiles for example; they completely dominated their respective classes when introduced, and have spawned copies (Some more blantant than others) amongst it's competitors. Case in point:

Not the best pictures, but the front suspension, bulkhead and chassis design are virtually identical.

As for the light aircraft, do you mean engines, or actual aircraft? if it's the former, they've been producing aircraft engines for years - the majority of ultralights I've ever seen were powered by either a 580, 583 or 670 Rotax - all three started life in Ski-Doo's.

Anyway, enough thread jacking from me

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."
Monday, July 03, 2006 4:40 PM
Damnit... here's the first pic:

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search