It's official: A third of General Motors' workforc - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
It's official: A third of General Motors' workforc
Monday, June 26, 2006 6:25 PM
It's official: A third of General Motors' workforce to depart

General Motors late this afternoon officially announced that approximately 35,000 hourly employees (33,800 UAW-represented and 1,200 IUE-CWA-represented) have agreed to participate in early retirement programs. GM announced the program late last year in an effort to drastically reduce its workforce. Today's official figure represents roughly a third of GM's workforce and do not include workers who will leave former subsidiary Delphi. Coupled with the hourly workforce reduction of 6,500 in 2005 and estimated replacements, including Delphi flowbacks, GM expects to reach its target of reducing 30,000 manufacturing jobs by Jan. 1, 2007, about two years ahead of the previously announced schedule.

"Over the past several months, we have accomplished a great deal in our strategy to reshape GM into a company that is more nimble, more global and built for long-term success," said GM Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner. "These moves have given us a fast start toward achieving our stated objective of reducing GM’s global structural cost from approximately 34 percent of revenue in 2005, to 25 percent of revenue by 2010, and setting us up to be successful for years to come."

In the last year, GM has been aggressively implementing its North American turnaround plan. Some of the major actions taken include the health-care agreement with the UAW and the IUE-CWA; the manufacturing capacity plan; changes to U.S. salaried health-care and pension plans; a complete overhaul of GM’s marketing strategy; and accelerated launches of key new product entries and technologies.

The accelerated attrition program was announced in March and offered to 109,000 UAW-represented hourly employees and 3,800 IUE-CWA-represented employees at GM’s manufacturing operations in the United States . The program ended at midnight June 23. Employees who signed up that day have seven days after signing up (no later than midnight June 30) to opt out of their retirement or buyout.

Based on preliminary numbers, approximately 4,600 of the participating employees accepted buyouts and approximately 30,400 chose to retire. It is expected that most will retire or leave the company by the end of the year. These numbers do not include Delphi employees who are participating in similar attrition programs.

In addition, the JOBS Bank will be substantially reduced as employees from the Bank retire, take a buy-out or fill openings created by the attrition program. These moves will be coordinated by GM and the UAW, working through national and local agreements.

As a result of the success of the accelerated attrition program, GM is again increasing its targeted reduction in structural costs in North America to at least $8 billion from $7 billion on an annual running rate basis by the end of 2006.

Approximately $5 billion in savings is expected to be realized in 2006. The additional cost reduction of at least $1 billion, largely cash savings, will bring expected total annual cash savings from structural cost reductions to $5 billion.

Structural costs, such as the cost of unionized employees, are those operating costs that do not vary with production and include all costs other than material, freight, and policy and warranty costs.

GM expects to take a netafter-tax charge currently estimated in the range of $3.8 billion related to the attrition program, primarily for payments to employees and for the effect of the re-measurement of both GM's U.S. pension liabilities and other post-employment benefits (OPEB) liabilities. This charge includes a revision of the accrual taken in the fourth quarter of 2005 for the North American plant capacity actions.

The amount of this charge is subject to further review based on such factors as the demographics of the employees accepting the retirement offer. Most of the above-noted charge will be included in second-quarter financial results. GM will provide final estimates and additional financial details when it releases second quarter results next month.

The attrition program also represents another step in reaching a consensual agreement with Delphi , the UAW and the IUE-CWA in connection with the Delphi restructuring.

Wagoner recognized UAW leadership’s role in the success of this attrition program. "We appreciate the UAW’s steady support in working with us as we make the necessary moves to restructure GM North America for long-term success," he said.

Wagoner also thanked the IUE-CWA and GM’s other unions for their support. He noted: "By working together with our unions, we can come to solutions to challenging issues that are fair to both our employees and other important constituents."

He also recognized GM employees’ role in the turnaround efforts.

"Consideration of the attrition program was an important decision for every worker and his or her family," Wagoner said. "For those employees who chose to retire from or leave the company, I want to thank them for their contributions over the years. For those who decided to stay, I look forward to their continued commitment to building great cars and trucks."

Detailed plans are in place to ensure a smooth transition in GM manufacturing plants. Employees who chose to leave the company will retire or leave no later than Jan. 1, 2007 . GM will use temporary employees as necessary while permanent replacements are put in place . All temporary, relocated, and Delphi flow-back workers will receive extensive training to maintain GM’s safety leadership and strong quality performance.

"I have said before that our goal in restructuring the company is not just to change GM’s bottom line from red to black," Wagoner said. "Our goal is to structure GM for sustained profitability and growth … to set us up to be successful for years to come in an ever-more competitive global auto industry.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/06/26/its-official-a-third-of-general-motors-workers-to-leave-automaker/#more-3195

Re: It's official: A third of General Motors' work
Monday, June 26, 2006 6:27 PM
My plant that I work at is the Moraine Assembly where the 1,200 IUE-CWA to the buyout.

I needed 500 to take it so I wouldn't get laid off. Woot for Buyouts!!! LOL

My plants breakdown

http://iue798.com/final_numbers_at_deadline.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 26, 2006 6:43 PM

Monday, June 26, 2006 7:00 PM
I hope the 500 took it, for your sake

Rest In Peace, Saint.
He's your god, they're your rules, YOU burn in hell!!
Monday, June 26, 2006 10:20 PM
how much is the actually buyout?
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:16 AM
Depends, IF its the same as Delphi:
30+ years = $30k to retire
27-30 years = early retirement
26 years = pre-retirement
10-25 years = $140K to forget you ever worked there
9 & below = $40k-$70k to forget you ever worked there

-Brandon

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:52 AM
Alexis wrote:I hope the 500 took it, for your sake

Hey Girl re read what I posted lol

NfamousZ24 wrote:My plant that I work at is the Moraine Assembly where the 1,200 IUE-CWA to the buyout.

I needed 500 to take it so I wouldn't get laid off. Woot for Buyouts!!! LOL

My plants breakdown

http://iue798.com/final_numbers_at_deadline.htm

Yes I made the cut by over 600 people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:53 AM

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:51 AM
This sucks! Why don't they stop paying all the execs such stupid huge salleries and maybe they'd be able to stop this problem. Though the unions need to go too and then maybe just maybe GM would be able to do good again.
Between the stupid high salleries of execs and the unions their gonna kill GM.

Good luck man I hope your not 1 of the ones getting let go.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:00 AM
yeah its sad to see it go. that was the heart of moraine

**changes are here**

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:01 AM
freakin edit button,,,,,, **job wise that is**

**changes are here**

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:29 AM
Jackalope wrote:This sucks! Why don't they stop paying all the execs such stupid huge salleries and maybe they'd be able to stop this problem.

^Correct!
What is happening is such a "band-aid fix" to the real problem---unwanted and sometimes lousy product portfolio.
Because to say we pay our blue-collar workers to much (in reality it is in line to the cost of living) is very much... lame!

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:38 AM
doubt firing a few execs would make a dent in the money issue.

and i serioulsy doubt the money some of the workers get is in line with the cost of living. there are jobs there where people are making 60-70k for a job that doesnt take any skill. now im not saying they are all unskilled. but some of the jobs there dont require a ton of knowledge to do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:01 AM
Nobody said firing the exec.^
And yes, the sallery they make are in line to the cost of living. Have you've seen how much things cost out there? There is so much inflation going on.
Somebody posted what they make per hour and how many hrs they worked, after it was all is added up it came up to about $50K after taxes a year. Not a wealthy sallery by any means. So what if it does not require a skill. Is it wrong to have decent sallery?
If corporations can, they would want to pay $20K yearly or under and screw the blue-collar work force.
Which is why the union was invented... to actually pay somewhat decent salleries.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:20 AM
Why fire them ? But for the love of God do they really need a several hundred thousand doller a year sallery just to sit on their asses doing nothing all day ? NO !

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:34 AM
I have to side with Jack on this. If they're gonna cut that many "blue collar" jobs, they need to trim the executive branch down too.

Unions... they have their ups and downs. I work for the government, and we have a union, but it's uhhhh.... really weak.

For example, if say the local government decided they were going to cut our pay to $7/hr and strip our benefits, and we went on strike,... they could go right next door to a judge and have them sign an injunction or whatever .... a court order to make us go back to work and the only options we would have is to either work or quit.

I dunno... but they still should trim some of the execs too

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:38 AM
WHAT !!! Nikki's gonna strip ?

Oh never mind you said "strip bennifits" No at much fun.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:49 AM
Hahaha, you really think people get paid to sit on there ass and do nothing? Are you serious? Or do you mean nothing as in "physical nothing"? Can you imagine the amount of stress the top execs must be under every day? Yes they should take a slight paycut, but please, you guys make it seem like it's easy as pie to be a top executive of the largest automobile manufacture in the world.

Oh, and it's salary and salaries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:51 AM

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:39 AM
/\ I agree...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:49 AM
RoNuS20 wrote:Hahaha, you really think people get paid to sit on there ass and do nothing? Are you serious? Or do you mean nothing as in "physical nothing"? Can you imagine the amount of stress the top execs must be under every day? Yes they should take a slight paycut, but please, you guys make it seem like it's easy as pie to be a top executive of the largest automobile manufacture in the world.

You mean they do something ?

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:04 PM
RoNuS20 wrote:Hahaha, you really think people get paid to sit on there ass and do nothing? Are you serious? Or do you mean nothing as in "physical nothing"? Can you imagine the amount of stress the top execs must be under every day? Yes they should take a slight paycut, but please, you guys make it seem like it's easy as pie to be a top executive of the largest automobile manufacture in the world.

Judging by GM's current line ups it must be easy.
And yes, making $500K to way over a million a year per exec which includes all benefits, company (high end) car, personal helicopter and not to mention the gov't is probably giving them a tax incentive as well... is ridiculous especially since your company is in the red...deep red to that.
And remember s-h-i-t falls downward, not upward.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:15 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:it came up to about $50K after taxes a year. Not a wealthy sallery by any means. So what if it does not require a skill. Is it wrong to have decent sallery?

When my father retired from being an educator after 30-40 years, he probably made less than that. My mother is currently still working as an educator, she probably makes less than that. Both are Master's level educators (my mother actually has two Masters Degrees) who have dedicated their lives to educating America's youth and have both been recognized for their accomplishments in that field. And it's not just in the education field; I'm sure there are many other areas in which the pay is less for more work/skill/importance.

So yes, I would say making $50K after taxes per year is slightly (maybe even greatly) skewed for unskilled labor, but that's just me.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:15 PM
Holy crap it must be gonna snow! Mr. GW and I agree on this whole heartedly !

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:35 PM
ill take 50k after taxes any @!#$ day of the week
and i would live comfortably too, even in ct where the cost of living is pretty damn high

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:15 PM
Pork Chop Sandwiches!!! wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:it came up to about $50K after taxes a year. Not a wealthy sallery by any means. So what if it does not require a skill. Is it wrong to have decent sallery?

When my father retired from being an educator after 30-40 years, he probably made less than that. My mother is currently still working as an educator, she probably makes less than that. Both are Master's level educators (my mother actually has two Masters Degrees) who have dedicated their lives to educating America's youth and have both been recognized for their accomplishments in that field. And it's not just in the education field; I'm sure there are many other areas in which the pay is less for more work/skill/importance.

So yes, I would say making $50K after taxes per year is slightly (maybe even greatly) skewed for unskilled labor, but that's just me.

Sadly, educators are probably the most underpaid workers of today. And a job like that (should) be paying $100K plus. But again sadly our gov'ts does not see it like that and hence the suppressed salary.

I am seeing a comparison for salary that is skilled vs non skilled. But no body seems to be arguing the fact that salaries in generally low for all works that does not include corporate top. Here we have an example of what a basic salary should be and it should only go norh from there. (Just to cover cost of inflation)
People have to look at the big picture and see that there is a discrepancy to wages and salary... aka underpaid.

themarin8r wrote:ill take 50k after taxes any @!#$ day of the week
and i would live comfortably too, even in ct where the cost of living is pretty damn high

Who wouldn't. Some people seem to forget that that things are not free. $50K is not a lot ESPECIALLY if you have children, spouse, mortgage, loans, bills, and utility to pay. And at times the bill will be in 4 digits.

I mean is it wrong to have a decent salary no matter what line of work you do? Sh*t, average salary here is $27K, yet average family home is at $391K (2006) down $12K from (2005). Do you see something wrong here?

I can't believe nobody attacks the top bracket, where they sh*t money and all they have to do is throw darts to decide which product to manufacture. (?)

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:41 PM
It is a rough situation, but it sounds like there was a little bit of compromise. If these people were'nt represented by the UAW or IUE-CWA they woul've been alot worse off. I mean, at least noone got laid off. they all agreed to leave. If the plants closing you really dont have a choice obviously. But if there was no union representation they would've gotten anything. i work for a large gas company and we're union and things like this get voted on. Thats how unions work everyone has a voice. if you read to the end of the article it says that Wagoner thanked the unions for their support. this was negotiated not really forced onto people.

I wish those 33,000 people were building some 2007 camaros right now. But GM has a business plan. A new plan, because the last one was'nt working so well as we all know, and this new plan is to cut cost and cut cost and cut more cost until they can (hopefully) rebound and be a profitable company again. And i'm not really saying that lowering the amount of employees is the best way for GM to be profitable but it is, unfortunatley, the fastest way of cutting cost. And that is what they need to do at the moment.

As far as the CEOs go. That is just the way it works. everyday at work, ill be out by the road smokin a butt on break and i'll see the regional CEO of airgas drive by in his SRT-10 viper or one of his other 6 cars. are they overpaid? oh, most definitley. But what are ya gonna do fire em'? their the CEO.

I just wish all affected employees good luck.

Steve

My other car is an interceptor.
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:44 PM
I don't get into arguments here, but i do need to say something. Unions are a good thing. No matter what problems you've had with them in the past they are good when ran right. Auto makers would have cut the average salary for the blue collar workers years ago. If it wasn't for the union's.

Some people post on this forum while at work and trying to tell me that everyone else is getting paid too much when they are getting paid to post on JBO.

They will send they're manufacturing plants over seas and then when we advance the culture where they are located we will look else where for cheaper labor. It will come full circle to the point at which they will need the american workers again. I have pride in my fellow american laborers.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search