Camry Hybrid - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Camry Hybrid
Friday, June 23, 2006 11:05 AM
I driven a few of these at work. I really like them. Finally a Hybrid that people might buy. It looks just like a regular Camry. Has decent Power (less than the V6, but more than the 4cyl) and drives very nice. I'd still rather have the Camry Sport 5spd, but it's still prety cool IMO.

Plus it comes in this crazy bright green, (Jasper Pearl)

Re: Camry Hybrid
Friday, June 23, 2006 11:31 AM
POS if you ask me... I would never get sucked into buying a hybrid for the Mpg difference its not worth the extra money even if gas prices are high. Another thing parts are really expensive for them and they are not safe if you get into an accident because the electricity can go through the chassis. And another note the 07 camry is just a re-done phase of the older one... it has the same chassis but just different styling like our 95-05 Cavys/Sunfires. Also theyve got a recall on the trannys because you can lose some gears when driving. Japscrap
Friday, June 23, 2006 7:24 PM
lol the man with the cavalier says the camry is a POS lol

Friday, June 23, 2006 8:04 PM
LOL LOL seriosuly

If you think toyotas are crap then something is really wrong with your head.

Friday, June 23, 2006 9:00 PM
why do you all on this site think toyota is the best car you can buy. well sorry to tell you but it isint. they have just as much proplems with there car just like every other car company out there. the only reason the camry gots good remarks is because all the people that drive them are little old ladys and they dont ever see over 40mph and 2000rpms. and they get good miles for gas because theres not power under the hood. i know a few people with toyotas and they have all been in the shop for work dont from things breaking on them. my friends celica has something dieing or stop working on it like everyweek. and its not as good on gas as they are rated and when they tell me to drive slow so they can keep up makes my day.
Friday, June 23, 2006 9:07 PM
^finally someone who understands my point of view... Toyotas are over rated.
Friday, June 23, 2006 9:13 PM
Jacob B wrote:POS if you ask me... I would never get sucked into buying a hybrid for the Mpg difference its not worth the extra money even if gas prices are high. Another thing parts are really expensive for them and they are not safe if you get into an accident because the electricity can go through the chassis. And another note the 07 camry is just a re-done phase of the older one... it has the same chassis but just different styling like our 95-05 Cavys/Sunfires. Also theyve got a recall on the trannys because you can lose some gears when driving. Japscrap

nobody asked you
and if you are going to say something absurd like the electricity going through the chassis in an accident, provide proof
considering most vehicles are grounded on the chassis or engine block, then i would think that they too would send electricity through the chassis
and a search on the net yields only one recall for the 2007 camry, and that was for airbags

Friday, June 23, 2006 11:25 PM
lol

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Saturday, June 24, 2006 7:40 AM
YOU WANT PROOF I'LL GIVE YOU PROOF:

HYBRIDS ARE DANGEROUS BECAUSE OF THE ELECTRICITY:

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2479&highlight=&sid=93deb28f80e52e154434b02ffd438106

HERES A RECALL ISSUED FOR THE PRIUS JUST THIS MONTH:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13046349/

AND HERES THE RECALL FOR THE TRANNY:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30586
Saturday, June 24, 2006 8:00 AM
alright, FIRST, the reason for nonconductive tools when cutting open a car to get somebody out is because if somehow they accidentally cut that massive orange wire then they'd get hit with some serious voltage (330v in the ford escape hybrid) but seriously, they're not that dangerous. hell, that's why it's color coded bright construction cone orange. plus they run the wire normally pretty close to the center of the vehicle, on the bottom of the car. i can't say that i see a whole lot of accidents, but i feel that the floor by the center console wouldn't get screwed up enough to cut a 0 gauge (at least) wire in most accidents. this whole thing reminds me of the rumors about pulling the radio in a j-body. all crap that got started by someone who didn't know what they were talking about and then got out of control because people are gullible. have a nice day.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 11:44 AM
So wait a second, you're rather spend $26,000 for a Camy Hybrid that gets 40 MPG City/38 MPG Hwy rather than $18,000 for the Camry base that actually has more power than the Hybrid, and still gets a reasonable 24 MPG City/34 MPG Hwy.

So in a sense, you'd rather spend $8,000 more just to get a little bit better gas mileage?

Saturday, June 24, 2006 12:49 PM
Jacob B wrote:YOU WANT PROOF I'LL GIVE YOU PROOF:

HYBRIDS ARE DANGEROUS BECAUSE OF THE ELECTRICITY:

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2479&highlight=&sid=93deb28f80e52e154434b02ffd438106

AND HERES THE RECALL FOR THE TRANNY:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30586

any car is dangerous to use jaws of life on, hybrids are no different. and toyota runs the wires from the battery in the middle of hte car where its more safe. toyota doesn't use lithum batteries because of safety. hybrids are just as safe as a normal car

and the prius steering recall has nothing to do with being a hybrid...any car can have that problem, and the recall isn't even dangerous...all it does is make a noise

and for the tranny thing. TOYOTA HYBRID CARS DO NOT HAVE TRANSMISSIONS

hybrids are better in every way than conventional engine designs...to include performance...don't beleive me...look up the toyota volta supercar

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Saturday, June 24, 2006 1:40 PM
I did laugh when I read that one about the electicity running through the chasis and being dangerous.

Quote:

and for the tranny thing. TOYOTA HYBRID CARS DO NOT HAVE TRANSMISSIONS

mikec - Please explain how they get the power from the crank to the wheels without a tranny. Maybe there is some new technology out there that I am unfamiliar with.

Quote:

Jacob - If you want a huge list of recalls and service bulletins, look no further then your J-Body. All cars get recalls and SB's, especially when a new technology or new model is released. They are just working the bugs out. I am NOT calling you stupid, but try and look at a few sources before you jump to conclusions. Especially when your source is a main stream media provider. Believe it or not, but things get twisted and over done all the time in the news.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 1:52 PM
all the gas engine does is power an electric generator to charge the battery which in turn operates an electric motor to turn the wheels...there is no need for a transmission

oh and FYI hybrids are not new, the first hybrid was made in 1898

Hail Satan

Saturday, June 24, 2006 1:55 PM
I didn't say they were new.

I will check into this whole Yota Hybrid System now. Something isn't adding up...

Team GREEN

Saturday, June 24, 2006 1:56 PM
off topic but heres another nice recall for nissan

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/20241.asp

Quote:

If you want a huge list of recalls and service bulletins, look no further then your J-Body

there has not been no major recall for the jbodys. just little things.
Saturday, June 24, 2006 2:12 PM
OK, OK. I checked it out and their hybrid system works just like the Honda one, which I am knoledgable about. You seem to have your facts mixed up. I didn't say anything at first because I didn't know and I have not been in the US for almost a year, so who knows what could have happened since then...

The Camry Hybrid has a CVT tranny. The brushless, electric motor/generator works between the motor and tranny (like where you would expect the flywheel or torque converter to be). On decel and in gear, the motor/generator works in generating mode, using the cars momentum to spin the generator and chage the batteries. Under load, the motor function comes into play and assists the crank in spinning the gears (and in this case with the CVT, the steel belt).

The electic motor isn't powered by the engine and then spits out voltage to the wheels, which in turn produce their own power. I hope this clears that up. If you have questions on how this works, you can PM me or check out How Stuff Works. They should be able to break it down shot gun style.

I dunno why my link isn't working. I tried to edit. The site is www.howstuffworks.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, June 24, 2006 2:16 PM

Team GREEN

Saturday, June 24, 2006 3:12 PM
ahh i see...well i guess you don't have to have a tranny, toyota just decided to use one to help with power

either way the tranny recall that guy posted is only for the regular camry as the hybrid doesn't use a 6 speed, so its still a useless gesture to try to prove hybrids are more dangerous

Hail Satan

Saturday, June 24, 2006 4:47 PM
RoNuS20 wrote:So wait a second, you're rather spend $26,000 for a Camy Hybrid that gets 40 MPG City/38 MPG Hwy rather than $18,000 for the Camry base that actually has more power than the Hybrid, and still gets a reasonable 24 MPG City/34 MPG Hwy.

So in a sense, you'd rather spend $8,000 more just to get a little bit better gas mileage?

Actually the Camry base uses the same 2.4L as the Hybrid. so the Hybrid actually has more power. 177hp with the electric motor.

And I wasn't trying to say that Hybrids were the best cars, I was saying that of all the Hybrids out there, I think the Camry is the best.
Saturday, June 24, 2006 8:51 PM
Toyota Recalling Camry

The newest edition of the Toyota Camry is being recalled for a problem with the transmission. The problem, Toyota says, involved only a half-percent of Camrys built thus far for the 2007 model year. The new six-speed automatic transmission could lose second and sixth gear during operation. Toyota told Reuters the vehicle still will operate even if the gears are lost, and that the problem usually happens within the first 500 miles of use.

half a friggin percent
out of a thousand cars 5 may have this problem
and that was built thus far, therefore the problem is more than likely being solved and the solution implemented
and its funny that i couldnt find that recall, musta been a HUGE problem....

and the steering recall doesnt even involve the camry in any way shape or form.

and like already mentioned, hybrids are dangerous if you cut the power cord
but that should be common sense to not do so, just like you wouldnt cut your battery cables or power lines
do i need a dancing squirrel and MC Hammer to demonstrate that you cant touch that?

Sunday, June 25, 2006 6:39 AM
themarin8r wrote:
do i need a dancing squirrel and MC Hammer to demonstrate that you cant touch that?

yes please

and yeah, cutting the main power cord is almost impossible in an accident because its ran down the center of the floor of the car, one of the most survivable places on the car

Hail Satan

Sunday, June 25, 2006 9:32 AM
Quote:

My vote for best quote EVER!

Team GREEN

Sunday, June 25, 2006 12:45 PM
jbody03eco wrote:why do you all on this site think toyota is the best car you can buy. well sorry to tell you but it isint. they have just as much proplems with there car just like every other car company out there. the only reason the camry gots good remarks is because all the people that drive them are little old ladys and they dont ever see over 40mph and 2000rpms. and they get good miles for gas because theres not power under the hood. i know a few people with toyotas and they have all been in the shop for work dont from things breaking on them. my friends celica has something dieing or stop working on it like everyweek. and its not as good on gas as they are rated and when they tell me to drive slow so they can keep up makes my day.

I am 26 and my wife is 25, we have an 05 Camry....best car we have ever owned, best car for the money we spent, best resale value out of all the cars we looked at (well gm cars anyways). My brother bought a grand prix the same time we did (we liked those cars a lot also). He paid about $10000 more than we did. Our cars are worthe the same thing for trade in and private party values. The car is roomy and has a lot of features. STANDARD FEATURES!! As far as the no power under the hood...apparently you have never driventhe car. We have the 2.4 with 165hp....thats 20 more than a 2.2 eco....and for the size of the car it moves. The new V6 is running in the top of the class as far as power.
so check before you post about the type of people that drive this "$h!tty" car, just remember what type of car you drive.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 5:01 PM
Quote:

Cons
Costs more than most competitors, base V6 isn't as powerful as others in the class.

even edmunds said its the slowest V6 in its class. the Jbody and the camry are not even in the same class so yea it should have more power then the jbodys. and for the 2.4 eco in the cobalt haveing 173hp its got more then your camrys 160hp and 163 ft-lbs and Curb Weight: 3108 lbs yea there under powered. its seems to be a thing for toyota not to put power in many of there cars. friends 2002 toyota 4 runner SR5 sport edition it has 183hp and 217 ft-lbs. and a Curb Weight: 4070 lbs its funny when my 2004 malibu maxx can out run it.

Quote:

so check before you post about the type of people that drive this "$h!tty" car, just remember what type of car you drive.

well when im stuck in traffic and the car leading it is a camry with a little old lady behind the wheel im the first one to but going around them because they cant get on the gas and push that little 160hp out of that thing. and i have drivein in a 2000 camry and with its nice paint peeling of the front bumper. i dont drive a jbody anymore i moved on and the cars i now drive are a 2005 malibu maxx 3.5 200 hp and a 2006 cobalt SS 2.4.
Monday, June 26, 2006 9:04 AM
RaiLS wrote:
Quote:

My vote for best quote EVER!

X2

id never buy one of these hybrids tho, not worth the extra money i would stick with a 4 cyl

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search