buyers opinions RB 240 vs. supra 2jz - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
buyers opinions RB 240 vs. supra 2jz
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:01 PM
Ive been looking for a project car for when I finish my cav and I have been looking around for quite some time now. I have pretty much made up my mind that I want to go for a inline turbo six rear wheel drive.

My 2 choices are a 2jz supra which would cost me around 15 - 20 grand

or a 240 RB 2.5 swap I wanna stick with the 2.5 unless I could find a 2.6 with the trans for less then 10.

I am really not sure witch one to go with, they both have there perks. IMO there both sexy they both have huge power potentials, they both are turbo, and they both have a huge following.

the only difference is the shock appel I think the decieding factor is do I want to bee seen in a car people know is fast or do I want to be seen in a car people find out is fast.

please help

"boobs now with Riboflabin"

Re: buyers opinions RB 240 vs. supra 2jz
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:13 PM
2JZ!
I'm biased though since my Lexus has the 2jzge & I added a turbo set-up. I love the way the supra's look though

DRAGFEST
92 SC300 Turbo 5spd.
99 Eclipse Spyder RS

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:29 PM
In all seriousness ... why?

Novalty value aside ... why would you even bother with either of these?

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:12 PM
2JZ!!! But I'm biased as well because I have a Toyota Supra. But I also think you should consider a MKIII Supra. A lot less money and almost looks like a 240. You could even swap the 2jz into it or the 1jz. So MKIII Supra FTW!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:17 PM
JinxedZ THE LOVED ONE wrote:In all seriousness ... why?

why not?

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:22 PM

i got love for the TA 2 but both the cars he mentioned would make ur car look like a geo storm if done correctly especially on the highway.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/StylezTA
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:39 PM
97blkZ24 wrote:

i got love for the TA 2 but both the cars he mentioned would make ur car look like a geo storm if done correctly especially on the highway.

teeehee. geo storm. the best part is I love eating displacement freaks. the look on big motor faces when the lose to six's is great. its what has kept me with my cav these past few years. You have what in that...

well there everyting I want in a car. like I said turbo, RWD, inline six, and have you ever heard what they sound like. the RB motor and the 2jz are by far the best sounding motors ever (with a stock VQ close second).

both cars are uber sexy lookers, with the supra taking a super car style and the 240 (when done right / kouiko conversion) take the cake. I am preety much 50/50 on looks so it comes down to engine and handling.

Im done with straight line only and I want a car tha has an idea of what a turn is, and wont go 3 wheeling every time I cut a turn. the problem is both cars have massive poteital in every aspect and I just cant make a descion.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:55 PM
Now I have nothing against Supra's by all means, but they are just damn heavy, with the RB25 240SX you'll save a few hundred pounds. Thats just my $0.02 though.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 3:04 PM
300ZX has a turbo I-6, doesn't it? Or does it have a V-6, I dunno. I suppose I could look it up, but I am so lazy right now...

Everyone is doing a 240/Silvia conversion right now anyway. I know, they are really, really, really sexy. I fell in love with Silvias a long time ago, but they are popping up everywhere. Damn you, Super Street!

You know what you don't see a ton of, and that I am a HUGE fan of? IS300's. I know they are out there, but you don't see them everyday done up. At least where I am from. I love those cars. I think there is a TRD supercharger kit and I know I have seen a turbo IS at a car show before. Plus, you get 4 doors!

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 3:21 PM
^^^ The 300ZX is V6, its the VG30DETT Engine.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 3:57 PM
Alex wrote:Now I have nothing against Supra's by all means, but they are just damn heavy, with the RB25 240SX you'll save a few hundred pounds. Thats just my $0.02 though.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:14 PM
Thank you, Alex!

At least I knew there were 6 cyl !!! Yay for me.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:18 PM
RaiLS wrote:300ZX has a turbo I-6, doesn't it? Or does it have a V-6, I dunnno

You know what you don't see a ton of, and that I am a HUGE fan of? IS300's. I know they are out there, but you don't see them everyday done up. At least where I am from. I love those cars. I think there is a TRD supercharger kit and I know I have seen a turbo IS at a car show before. Plus, you get 4 doors!

IS300's with the 2jz swap is teh sex. problem is theres just to much work with the swap. and I dont know if Im down for the 4 doors. they didnt come with 2jz's did they???

300zx's are nice but I think there way 2 80's and forget about doing engine work. the bay is tighter then vida's ass

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:21 PM
paco loco wrote:
Alex wrote:Now I have nothing against Supra's by all means, but they are just damn heavy, with the RB25 240SX you'll save a few hundred pounds. Thats just my $0.02 though.

so true. but supras are just soooooo sexxy i mean if there good enough for mr o'conor and mr Turetto........

also Im wondering if the pound to turning abilty is worth it. I mean is the drving experince that much better.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:03 PM
id go with a supra if the insurence is cheap..

it will hold its value no matter what. a 240 is still a 240... just like no matter what u do to a cavalier.. doesnt change what it is..

parts are more available since it was able to be bought in the states unlike a skyline. parts arent interchangeable like the sr20.

and for the main fact its a supra and they are sex. minus the insurence.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:12 PM

havve you been beaten by a 4 cyl. lately???
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:18 PM
lilbit01 wrote:

why not?

Are you asking in all seriousness?

Did you forget who it is that you quoted?

RIP CPL Brian St.Germain (SAINT), Semper Fidelis

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:51 PM
John H [Cavalierkid wrote:]id go with a supra if the insurence is cheap..

it will hold its value no matter what. a 240 is still a 240... just like no matter what u do to a cavalier.. doesnt change what it is..

parts are more available since it was able to be bought in the states unlike a skyline. parts arent interchangeable like the sr20.

and for the main fact its a supra and they are sex. minus the insurence.

u talk about the 240 like its a cavalier. a 240 is MUCH more respected in every aspect as compared to a lonely pos cavalier. a 240 has many advantages over a supra. Power to weight, handling/cornering, hell an s14 has proven to be just as good of a drag car. Screw sex appeal, the 240 insurance for me is 400 bucks a year for liability. And holding value? ever see a BPU supra hold value? it doesn't. infact the number one bitch on the supra forums is how bad the resale is when they mod them. the 240 is one of the fewer cars that actually go up in value as u mod them. don't believe me? check out Zilvia.net and go to cars for sale plenty of s13 over 10 grand and people are dying for em.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 7:17 PM
Quote:

u talk about the 240 like its a cavalier. a 240 is MUCH more respected in every aspect as compared to a lonely pos cavalier. a 240 has many advantages over a supra. Power to weight, handling/cornering, hell an s14 has proven to be just as good of a drag car. Screw sex appeal, the 240 insurance for me is 400 bucks a year for liability. And holding value? ever see a BPU supra hold value? it doesn't. infact the number one bitch on the supra forums is how bad the resale is when they mod them. the 240 is one of the fewer cars that actually go up in value as u mod them. don't believe me? check out Zilvia.net and go to cars for sale plenty of s13 over 10 grand and people are dying for em.

didnt mean it like that.. supra is more in the super car class like a vette or whatnot.
plus the fact your gonna have to do a swap... and the rb swap into a 240 isnt really that strait foward... i know its been done ALOT.. its just not an easy/cheap swap
your looking at several grand (5k+) for that when its all send and done.

the 2jz is dam near a tank too. bigger turbo, more boost and fuel/ems and its set.

and he asked for opinions... i gave mine. everyone is gonna have a different one. thats why its an opinion. not trying to sound dicked or anything.

i like 240s. and yes the power to weight is better and yes it would be fast with a rb. id rather have a supra.. thats all.

and again.. the part cost factor on the rb due to the fact it was never commen in the states

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:42 PM
+1 for the rb-powered 240, f*** the supra, Nissan power forever. I just picked up a '90 hatch on friday and this will be my second 240sx. They are great cars and there are a hell of a lot of parts for them, plus you will love all of the forums there is a huge support system for them, check out 240sx.org. Just because the rb was not offered in the states does not mean that the parts are more expensive, have you ever looked at the price of Supra TT parts they are pretty much the same amount of money. Just food for thought.

PS-Get an S14 and make me proud, I know I miss mine(95-96=Zenki and 97-98=Kouki).

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2148993/1
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:57 PM
just got my first rwd today. its a 93 240 SE 5speed. needs a paint job in a bad way, but with all the parts on it I felt it was worth it. payed $2900
Im going to stay with the ka motor and turbo it. alot more parts have popped up for the little "truck motor" and people are pushing around 300hp on a "stock" motor. go to KA-T.org and do some research, I wanted an RB25 too but for now and the budget Im sticking with the stock motor'.

Mods:
Injen intake
Apexi GT Spec 3" exhaust
Tanabe Sustec Pro full coilovers
Spec stage 3 clutch
Fidanza flywheel

Full energy suspension Master set (not installed)
also getting two sparco-speed racing seats for...well....practically free

heres a quick pic

View my MySpace

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 2:30 AM
Jcavi wrote:
RaiLS wrote:300ZX has a turbo I-6, doesn't it? Or does it have a V-6, I dunnno

IS300's with the 2jz swap is teh sex. problem is theres just to much work with the swap. and I dont know if Im down for the 4 doors. they didnt come with 2jz's did they???

300zx's are nice but I think there way 2 80's and forget about doing engine work. the bay is tighter then vida's ass

the IS300 is a 2JZGE which is the non-turbo 2JZ. Something like 10:1/10.5:1 compression and variable valve timing I believe. The swap therefore, should not be all that hard at all, and you really don't need to swap, just put some lower compression pistons in. I'm pretty sure they're the same rods and crank, but I might be wrong. Funniest part about it is I think the IS300 is actually lighter than the supra,... mk4's were pigs.

If you honestly have the money to do either of these, well, for one, i fail to see wtf you're doing with a cavalier, and second, i'd go with the RB 240. Lighter, although the RB swap will probably make it a little nose heavy, but it'll still handle better than the supra.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:25 AM
firebug wrote:just got my first rwd today. its a 93 240 SE 5speed. needs a paint job in a bad way, but with all the parts on it I felt it was worth it. payed $2900
Im going to stay with the ka motor and turbo it. alot more parts have popped up for the little "truck motor" and people are pushing around 300hp on a "stock" motor. go to KA-T.org and do some research, I wanted an RB25 too but for now and the budget Im sticking with the stock motor'.

Mods:
Injen intake
Apexi GT Spec 3" exhaust
Spec stage 3 clutch
Fidanza flywheel

heres a quick pic

don't tell him to do that!!! the KA-T is becoming the new sr20's of 240's Although a KA is a good engine its not gonna take the power on a daily basis as well as an RB. Personal preference to me is my next 240 is gonna be a 93 vert with an RB20. same smooth sound, easier swap, motor is dirt cheap, and a turbo upgrade away from 350+ wheel.

Sorry John for gettin on ur @!#$. i just don't want a 240 in no way compared to a cavalier performance/style/quality wise. I hate my cavalier for being a POS.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:26 AM
97blkZ24 wrote:
firebug wrote:just got my first rwd today. its a 93 240 SE 5speed. needs a paint job in a bad way, but with all the parts on it I felt it was worth it. payed $2900

Mods:
Injen intake
Apexi GT Spec 3" exhaust
Spec stage 3 clutch
Fidanza flywheel

heres a quick pic

don't tell him to do that!!! the KA-T is becoming the new sr20's of 240's Although a KA is a good engine its not gonna take the power on a daily basis as well as an RB. Personal preference to me is my next 240 is gonna be a 93 vert with an RB20. same smooth sound, easier swap, motor is dirt cheap, and a turbo upgrade away from 350+ wheel.

Sorry John for gettin on ur @!#$. i just don't want a 240 in no way compared to a cavalier performance/style/quality wise. I hate my cavalier for being a POS.

haha, also alot of money and work for that 350+hp turbo upgrade. Im stilling looking into getting a front clip, I was looking for one about five months ago and I found whole front clips for around $2500. not too bad but I don't know exactly what needs to be done to swap one so I can't really say one or the other. but I must agree, an RB motor would be sick.

I've always loved the Soarer so I like the IS300 with a 2JZ. if I had a choice it would probably be a supra or an IS300 with a 2JZ. but like stated above you pay an arm and leg for parts for that motor.

View my MySpace
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:30 AM
lilbit01 wrote:

why not?

'im gonna nail my hand with this hammer ... '
'Why dude?'
'... why not?'

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search